Post A Picture Of Your Guitar

davey1991

Could anyone recommend me a cheap set of guitar strings for an electric? I know nothing about guitars but have an old one in my room that needs strings. I'll be getting them off ebay if possible.

I use Earnie Balls, and they're usually about £5 in your local music shop. Online you could probably get it for £4 including postage.

Are you looking for light strings?

This site will give you an idea, but I won't recommend ordering off them as my strings never arrived.

Cheap Strings

Edited by Hendrix

Got some new strings this morning, thought i ordered hybrid strings. Nope i order extra slinkys, but oh well il see how i get on with silly light bass strings for a while.

Your trust rod will love you.

Go down to nevada and get some heavier ones - £22.50.

Moral of the story is learn how to do it. You will need:

- A long metal ruler

- Some common sense

- An online guitar setup guide

- A 5mm (could be different) allen key

The second point is probably why Tom gave you shit advice.

EDIT: And don't trust someone who is giving you expensive advice over something they can't spell.

Edited by //JD

Moral of the story is learn how to do it. You will need:

- A long metal ruler

- Some common sense

- An online guitar setup guide

- A 5mm (could be different) allen key

The second point is probably why Tom gave you shit advice.

EDIT: And don't trust someone who is giving you expensive advice over something they can't spell.

Common sense? Something I may not have much of, but you lack in bundles.

I've tried it, and followed the guides to the n'th degree - guess what. It broke. That was on my Parker.

That was about £400 excluding a set up to get it done.

Malcolm - do you remember Jeff the older guy from the jam nights, he does guitar and bass repairs. He'd do it for a coke if you want to stick to lighter strings. He's in Purbrook too, right near the golf course.

Edited by Hendrix

Common sense? Something I may not have much of, but you lack in bundles.

I've tried it, and followed the guides to the n'th degree - guess what. It broke. That was on my Parker.

That was about £400 excluding a set up to get it done.

Something I definitely have a shit ton of is common sense. I do, however, lack modesty.

Anyone who owns an expensive piece of kit (like a Parker, or a Boxx) and doesn't know the slightest thing about how to set it up is just a moron, and that applies to absolutely anything. People think that several people around this forum have top notch bikes and no idea of how to set them up which results in some brilliant topics in NMC and Trials Chat. You wouldn't own a Ferrari and not know how to check oil would you? Not that you would do it yourself, but it would be best to know how just in case right? And plus, we're enthusiastic about these things - isn't it fun to learn how to do stuff right?

Checking intonation and the profile of the neck and knowing how to set it with correct truss rod and bridge adjustments should be done every time you change strings. It's just good practise to keep your kit in top notch condition and save you from shelling out £400 when you either:

- leave it too late and have to over compensate, leading to a breakage

- leave it too late and it's corroded or similar, leading to breakage

- leave it too late and not know what you're doing to save the situation, leading to breakage

As a self proclaimed knowledgeable guy about the world of music, you should be able to respect that you might have just f**ked it up and just because you did doesn't mean that 99% of people wont be able to do it themselves! It can be a fiddly job but knowing how to do it and do it well keeps you and your guitar working well together and allows you to experiment with different gauges of strings without having to worry about paying for a new set up every time which would be wasted money if you don't like it.

Edited by //JD

Something I definitely have a shit ton of is common sense. I do, however, lack modesty.

Anyone who owns an expensive piece of kit (like a Parker, or a Boxx) and doesn't know the slightest thing about how to set it up is just a moron, and that applies to absolutely anything. People think that several people around this forum have top notch bikes and no idea of how to set them up which results in some brilliant topics in NMC and Trials Chat. You wouldn't own a Ferrari and not know how to check oil would you? Not that you would do it yourself, but it would be best to know how just in case right? And plus, we're enthusiastic about these things - isn't it fun to learn how to do stuff right?

Checking intonation and the profile of the neck and knowing how to set it with correct truss rod and bridge adjustments should be done every time you change strings. It's just good practise to keep your kit in top notch condition and save you from shelling out £400 when you either:

- leave it too late and have to over compensate, leading to a breakage

- leave it too late and it's corroded or similar, leading to breakage

- leave it too late and not know what you're doing to save the situation, leading to breakage

As a self proclaimed knowledgeable guy about the world of music, you should be able to respect that you might have just f**ked it up and just because you did doesn't mean that 99% of people wont be able to do it themselves! It can be a fiddly job but knowing how to do it and do it well keeps you and your guitar working well together and allows you to experiment with different gauges of strings without having to worry about paying for a new set up every time which would be wasted money if you don't like it.

I can do 90% of the maintenance and set up on my guitar, but the neck bit I generally leave to someone who knows how to, just because it always goes wrong for me. Most people at uni have the same issue, and many of the people I play with in London do too. I only said it to save him money - as someone who does guitar and bass repairs for a living, and whom would do it for no money at all lives around the corner to him.

I can do 90% of the maintenance and set up on my guitar, but the neck bit I generally leave to someone who knows how to, just because it always goes wrong for me. Most people at uni have the same issue, and many of the people I play with in London do too. I only said it to save him money - as someone who does guitar and bass repairs for a living, and whom would do it for no money at all lives around the corner to him.

You're still full of shit. You didn't post your original post to save him money, you suggested spending £22.50 when there's someone round the corner who would set it up for no money at all. If you'd said that in the first place this debate wouldn't be happening because you'd have been giving the right advice! Got there in the end.

:rolleyes:

You're still full of shit. You didn't post your original post to save him money, you suggested spending £22.50 when there's someone round the corner who would set it up for no money at all. If you'd said that in the first place this debate wouldn't be happening because you'd have been giving the right advice! Got there in the end.

:rolleyes:

And you're still a pompous arrogant know it all. :)

I suggested it because those strings are the nuts, and last forever - their sound is clean and pure, and when they do eventually sound dull you can boil them and have them sounding like new for a good long time!

And you're still a pompous arrogant know it all. :)

First bit of sense you've spoken in a while ;)

EDIT: On topic. I played my guitar for the first time in weeks yesterday. It was nice :)

Edited by //JD

quite the debate going on here . . . .

or, if you dont know how to do a setup with changing string guages, take it to someone and ask if you can watch what/how they are doing it.

the least they will say is no, then you take your business elsewhere.

its all just a learning curve, some people have common sense when looking into how to adjust your truss rod, other's dont.

anyway, i will have to get some pictures of my gear, and my practice room.

you see its very difficult to come by a practice room in guernsey, you have to search for like three years, find a place, and then get told by some other band that you cant practice there.

or you get kicked out by the police for making too much noise.

but about a year ago, got my hands on a decent sized room, did some soundproofing, and now i pretty much spend my life out of work there.

well here at a couple of pics i just found online

will have to update soon though

Luis

post-41-1238427120_thumb.jpg

post-41-1238427127_thumb.jpg

post-41-1238427132_thumb.jpg

wow quite the debate/ argument going on about my strings lol. i normally do adjustments when i change strings and im currently running hybrid and extra slinkys arent really that much lighter overall but il go as far as i can then go see nevada or pj walker or the guy up my road whos built shed loads of guitars over the years.

I use Earnie Balls, and they're usually about £5 in your local music shop. Online you could probably get it for £4 including postage.

Are you looking for light strings?

This site will give you an idea, but I won't recommend ordering off them as my strings never arrived.

Cheap Strings

see i snapped these but anyway.

I know you can boil electric strings but i'd rather buy new ones..

Any updates on the J bass ???

Don't know if you can specifically do it to guitar strings, but you can do it to bass strings.

Anyone use the lighter fluid trick on guitar strings?

You can do it to any strings if they are wound, but most guitars only have 3 wound strings, so it's not a lot of benefit.

Besides, it lasts about 10 minutes anyway and still doesn't sound as good as a new set of strings...