The Energy Thread

JonMack

Original question was:

Well... I can never decide what to drink while I'm out riding, sometimes I take flavoured water (I hate normal water), sometimes Lucozade, sometimes squash, but do energy drinks actually have a real effect on your riding?

By energy drinks I mean Lucozade/Powerade/etc. rather than Rockstar or Red Bull.

Also, I've seen numerous recipes for home made energy drinks, has anyone tried any?

But it's now turned into a post your riding diet thread :P so keep it going :)

Edited by JonMack

Lucozade keeps me going for longer, usually drink it if Im driving for a while when tired, the glucose keeps me awake and concentrating :)

I rode matlock quarry yesterday and stupidly didnt eat a thing all day apart from a banana and some water - had absolutely no energy after only a couple of hours riding :(

Should have stocked up on snickers and lucozade :D

I would not recommend energy drinks because they can affect your health and cause pimples on your body. they are not naturally produced as all of manufacturers claim.

Drink juice, or some kind of drinking yoghurt. It really helps.

Though I prefer old and simple WATER.! ;)

For energy drinks, they work, but its like NOx on need for speed, just a quick boost.

It depends on how fast you drink it too.

However, there are plenty of natural alternatives that are better for you. Peanuts, bananas...

And as for hydrating, there's nothing more hydrating than water. After all, it is HYDRation, you know, water...

lol

So, to summarise, it's best to buy monster energy when you want something quick to give you a kick, and eat peanuts and drink water when you ride, it'll work better.

Banana probably is your best option for energy, though if you are choosing drinks, then you gotta limit to like 1 bottle really. I tend to drink Lucozade sport, normally orange but any flavour will do, just because it tastes nice and it does give me energy but not as strong as like lucozade energy or relentless or what not. If I drink something thats fizzy and has taurine, like red bull, relentless, kick I can only have like 500ml max, otherwise if I drink too much later on in the day I start to feel funny, and can't fully focus on what I'm doing, almost like I'm drained on energy.

Keep it simple, water, flavoured water, keep hydrated and you'll feel better than if your just drinking energy drinks.

Have a banana (Y) waaaay cheaper than lucozade etc and has loads of energy in. It also releases the energy over a more spread out time rather than a short burst :)

(Y)

these guys have got it right.

if you do really hate water there is an energy drink called purdeys made out of fruit which is better than your redbull etc but it wont count as your 5 a day :P

try a smoothie :)

also have pasta before you ride and a banana or a good natural cereal bar ie oats youghurt in it not nutrigrain

I drink too much later on in the day I start to feel funny, and can't fully focus on what I'm doing, almost like I'm drained on energy.

Keep it simple, water, flavoured water, keep hydrated and you'll feel better than if your just drinking energy drinks.

thats soo true its apparantly because your body starts having a come down effect of a mini scale kind of like people on drugs

these guys have got it right.

also have pasta before you ride and a banana or a good natural cereal bar ie oats youghurt in it not nutrigrain

A huge bowl of cereal in the morning give me enough energy to ride 4 hours non stop. After that I can have a 1 liter of peach juice and some kind of kinder pingui, and ride for 2 more hours

im really bad and have relentless drinks and tescos redbull (kick diet) i usually will have one before i go out riding and take out a bottle of water with me whislt out riding as the energy drinks do not hydrate you

The so called "energy" drinks are full of sugar. Thats what gives you "energy", a sugar rush, nothing more. It does'nt last very long, and its not doing any good for your body.

Some drinks like Lucozade have added salts in them that will help you recover quicker after excessive sweating and loosing the bodies natural salts and fluids.

You could maybe try adding Robinsins juice to water?!

Monster, Red Bull, bla bla whatever is the devils piss imo.

I rode for about 6 hours on Saturday on power bars (They were what was left in my bag), Coke and water with a decent bowl of weetabix for breakfast. If you don't like water, Sports drinks are better for hydration than fizzy drinks - If you look at the sugar content sports drinks tend to be about 4% (Which will work to hydrate as well as supply electrolytes), while fizzy drinks are mostly around 12% (And all they have is sugar, so a source of energy, but not ideal). Drinking water without anything else will leave you more prone to cramping as the water will wash electrolytes from your body (Purely through dilution). The combination of bananas and water is a very good one for keeping hydrated while also keeping electrolytes supplied. The ripeness of a banana incidentally it will affect its nutritional content. Really ripe sweet bananas are mostly simple short chain sugars, while green bananas are mostly complex carbs, so better all day energy, but they take longer to digest.

Edited by psycholist

I drink water only, normally at least 1/2 a litre to a litre an hour, have no breakfast and use bannas to keep my energy up, with a sandwich and bag of crisps for lunch. On this I can normally do a 14 hour strenuous sesh, then stumble home, I occassionaly have a red bull or something if I feel like I am going to faint, but that is tops once a month after a few days solid riding.

This topic has gone from energy to drinks to full indepth advice and what a rider should really consume to keep going all day with full energy and minimal cramps. Quality, very intersting and helpful. I aint feeling drained of energy, and a energy drink is only a quick boost before you feel drained again, also cramp on the way home is a pain in the ass.

just got home from a nice quick sess in the sun, had a relentless and ciggy before i started to ride trials and gave me that boost of energy and had pulled everything that i wanted to do and then had my water which im still drinking now to hydrate me more as ive got kick boxing tonight, i didnt know water causes you to cramp up i usually have like 9 pints a day

I rode for about 6 hours on Saturday on power bars (They were what was left in my bag), Coke and water with a decent bowl of weetabix for breakfast. If you don't like water, Sports drinks are better for hydration than fizzy drinks - If you look at the sugar content sports drinks tend to be about 4% (Which will work to hydrate as well as supply electrolytes), while fizzy drinks are mostly around 12% (And all they have is sugar, so a source of energy, but not ideal). Drinking water without anything else will leave you more prone to cramping as the water will wash electrolytes from your body (Purely through dilution). The combination of bananas and water is a very good one for keeping hydrated while also keeping electrolytes supplied. The ripeness of a banana incidentally it will affect its nutritional content. Really ripe sweet bananas are mostly simple short chain sugars, while green bananas are mostly complex carbs, so better all day energy, but they take longer to digest.

^^^^ i find that so interesting and usual knowledge, shame i dont like bananas

Yeh i to have been drinking water and wondering why i'm still cramping up so props to psycholist for explaining about electrolytes lol (Y)

Nick

Edited by Nickkkkk

Well... I can never decide what to drink while I'm out riding, sometimes I take flavoured water (I hate normal water), sometimes Lucozade, sometimes squash, but do energy drinks actually have a real effect on your riding?

By energy drinks I mean Lucozade/Powerade/etc. rather than Rockstar or Red Bull.

Also, I've seen numerous recipes for home made energy drinks, has anyone tried any?

I've tried the MBUK orange squash with extra orange and a think half a tea spoon of salt, i'll try find the info for you.

But it acctually did seem to work i wasn't drinking all the time only once or twice an hour rather than everytime i stopped riding.

As for giving you energy i wouldn't really know as i have only ever used Relentless and that stuff is as green as try all rims so not a great comparison.