Streety 26"

walker

Are there any 26" street frames with a seat left on the market? Its a real shame that they seem to have died out. Yeah, its not all bad as they seem to have been replaced by 24" bikes, but what was wrong with 26"?

I still think that there is a market for a high end 26" with a seat, and made of aluminium. And I mean a proper seat, the Ashton Justice and Pashley Ghz dont really count. You may say "whats the point?" because trials bikes have evolved and seats are a thing of the past, but, for a more public point of view, trials bikes are looking more like they should be found in the circus. I firmly believe that you can ride anything if you practise enough, and it really is the rider and not the bike. I'd love to have a 26" street bike, with trialsy geometry and a seat. I know there have been a few efforts in the past, but the geometry was a little bit old fashioned and they were never really given a second look, like that echo for example (it was that popular that i can't even remember the name of it! :lol:)

You're thoughts?

-Andy

I know there have been a few efforts in the past, but the geometry was a little bit old fashioned and they were never really given a second look, like that echo for example (it was that popular that i can't even remember the name of it! :lol: )

How very dare you ...

ECHO pure 04 short with vee mounts was THE BEST frame Deng ever made ....

Nah, that wasn't the echo frame I was thinking of, dont think i ever saw an 04 Pure with a "proper" seat on it. There was another street specific on that they made not that long ago, but I never saw one in real life. Its not really the point anyway. Do you think the Streety 26" is dead?

I want a seat, vertical drops, 20" wheel/ skinnier tyre, on a mod.

It probably would be good for someone to produce a batch of 26" frames with vee mounts, horizontal dropouts and a seat tube at a steep angle. Also in some nice colours. Most people are pretty happy with that 1075-30-380-72 thereabouts geo as well ( :sick: )

I think maybe the newer 24" bikes will offer some more stuff though. But 26" will probably stay the same for a while.

do you mean the czar freetrials?

That thing is freakin dirty.

do you mean the czar freetrials?

yeah, thats what I meant, Czar, echo, zoo... they're all the same anyway

And im not saying it was good, cos it wasnt! I'm just giving it as an example.

Edited by walker

Think that new yaabaa 799 takes 26 in wheels.

but disc only :( (otherwise it would be a smash)

yeah a couple of companies have tried to put a seat tube on a trials geo frame and failed miserably - because they have made the seat tube impossible to use. The Czar was a shocker...

I think it will only be a matter of time before a proper 26" street frame is out again - given the DM situation...

edit : I dont really see the point in having a seat on a 1085 +35 hop machine .... it makes no sense - either make it streety or make it compy ... The 04 pure was the only thing that has really fitted in between...

Not a fan of the Because bikes, they look poor quality and they couldnt even think of a decent name. But the Yaabaa 799 is a decent idea, having a frame that can take 26" wheels as well sounds good, I really want to have a go on one. Would like to see one built up with 26" wheels.

edit : I dont really see the point in having a seat on a 1085 +35 hop machine .... it makes no sense - either make it streety or make it compy ... The 04 pure was the only thing that has really fitted in between...

What was the geometry of that? how much longer was the long model?

Yeah, the geometry of the Yaabaa is disk only, but I dont think that its a bad thing. If your wanting a Vee mount, it wouldnt be too difficult to have two bosses for 24" and 26" wheels with a screw in mount.

A bit like your re-welded echo then? :P

Ha - I broke 1 after a large number of years (and many sprayjobs) because I was riding round with one side of my proII not done up (silly me) and the home reweld lasted over 6 months too !!! weight - almost exactly 2kg (with my mini seat I think), was pretty much indestructable (you should see the one I inherited!!), had nice simple streety geometry that was fun to ride (loads can back me up here inc Ali C).

basicaly Deng hit it bang on 5 years ago - U6, simple, streety, proper bike shape and super strong coupled with decent weight.

I believe the geo was 1060 +5/0 385 not sure of the headangle but I would guess at 72/73. I think the long went to 1080/5 +5/+10, I remember getting on phil williams' new one and thinking f**kin ell its a barge !!

Basically the bike I rode had the reach of a long bike but in short bike form thanks to a low bb and long headtube - such a nice riding position.

Only pics I have of mine atm... ignore the gay miniseat..

gallery_3202_440_9779.jpg

I couldnt agree more mate i think the 26 inch scene could do with a street trials bike, as a few people arent to sure about the swap to 24inch so i think i would fill a gap in the market. Im going over to 24 inch because of this and also im not the strongest and most agile person in the world so a smaller and more manageable (but not lighter) 24 inch inspired would be better for me. But the world needs a stock street bike i think. (mind you the onza spyragyra looks pretty streety for a stock bike!)

117.jpg

It doesn't look that bad actually, it just looks a bit low really, that seat might as well not be there. It would have been better if it had kept a bit more of a "diamond" style frame design.

The reasons why it didnt sell were possibly due to:

bland colour scheme

low frame

horrible looking dropout/disk mount design

lack of marketing in the UK

there wasnt a decent rider on one to show what was possible on it

However, the geometry does look ok, anyone know what the wheelbase was? Wonder if Adam@Tarty ever considered ordering any...

Would anyone be interested in a similar frame if a manufacturer designed a decent, competetitvely priced one?

-Andy

However, the geometry does look ok, anyone know what the wheelbase was? Wonder if Adam@Tarty ever considered ordering any...

Would anyone be interested in a similar frame if a manufacturer designed a decent, competetitvely priced one?

-Andy

I think Tarty stocked them for a little while.

Not too sure on geo, they were quite long though and had 390mm chainstays.