Streety 26"

walker

117.jpg

It doesn't look that bad actually, it just looks a bit low really, that seat might as well not be there. It would have been better if it had kept a bit more of a "diamond" style frame design.

The reasons why it didnt sell were possibly due to:

bland colour scheme

low frame

horrible looking dropout/disk mount design

lack of marketing in the UK

there wasnt a decent rider on one to show what was possible on it

However, the geometry does look ok, anyone know what the wheelbase was? Wonder if Adam@Tarty ever considered ordering any...

Would anyone be interested in a similar frame if a manufacturer designed a decent, competetitvely priced one?

-Andy

yeah if it looked good, and was well made and not just based on the current crop of long, low and silver but just with a seat tube and saddle. Has to be designed from the ground up nice 'street' geo lovely and short and flicky, give it some nice features on it, style it sleek and mean, just like the latest street hardtails.

just realised, that bike has no rear brake, the hose guides are not in use, and the fourbolt mounts appear to not line up by a mile, and thats definitely a 26" wheel! Build quality!!

That'll be because it's a shit photoshop. Note the component graphics, side the drivetrain is etc ;)

I know you said that you don't really want a steel frame, but just thought i'd add that Curtis were happy to make me a frame with a longer toptube/wheelbase than the stated options - (it only went up to 23", but i wanted 23.5" which should give a wheelbase of around 1065).

Also you can raise or lower the headtube to give slightly different bb heights without affecting the head angle too much - (which is pretty spot on at 72*).

You can also choose different gauge tubing depending on how light you want it.

Basically my point is they are a lot more customisable than the website suggests.

(I'm just building mine up now so will put pics up when it's done).

it would need a +25-30mm bb rise, as this would give you the flexibility to have it how you like. All you would need to do is play around with the bar/stem set up. So yeah, basically just a Fourplay with bigger wheels!

I have a Czar Freetrials, just need a small seat and they're great. There's hardly any decent pics of them and no vids of any decent riding on them though

Do you have any pics? They look swankin!

I like my Koxx Levelboss personally, som esay they'reugly though. 1065 wheelbase ummm...

it would need a +25-30mm bb rise, as this would give you the flexibility to have it how you like. All you would need to do is play around with the bar/stem set up. So yeah, basically just a Fourplay with bigger wheels!

I take it you have seen the old TRA videos of him riding the first pure ?

+30 is waaay too high.

Yes, but not for absolutely ages, what's your point? The 24" frames all have around that, I dont really see why its such a big issue? You need to retain some rear wheel stability, so it can be used for static moves as well.

what was attually rong with the czar freetrials ?

They made an awful trials frame, with a saddle that it was impossible to slam / look presentable

Yes, but not for absolutely ages, what's your point? The 24" frames all have around that, I dont really see why its such a big issue? You need to retain some rear wheel stability, so it can be used for static moves as well.

No not at all, since moving from my trials I'm doing a lot more manifesto, rolling, roll up to gap stuff rather than hop, hop, hop, hop, hop which looks shit, rolling moves look and feel so much more fluid. And if you don't like that don't get a street orientated frame.

That's to compensate for the smaller wheelsize though, isn't it?

There are too many Deng brands, he doesn't just concentrate on one brand, instead everything seems under developed and very plain looking. There isn't much innovation.

I hear what you're saying about the BB ride on a 26", but i think its still necessary for some rolling moves such as gaps. Maybe +30 is a bit too extreme, +15-20 might be a better compromise. If i was to buy one, it would have to be around this value. I agree that the point of a street frame is to make trials more fluid and less hoppy, but I dont see why we need to go back 7 or 8 years in terms of geometry.

I dont want this topic to turn into some sort of geometry argument, as you can never satisfy everone. I just want to make the point that there is a gap in the market, and I myself would like to see (and ride) a street orientated 26" trials specific frame. And it MUST have a seat :turned:

EDIT: I would also like to know the reason for a higher bb having more "affect" on 26".

Edited by walker

I think the question of geometry is the crux of this thread. As soon as geometry evolved toward the higher bb frames and longer wheelbases (and more hoppy) there was no real point to the seat - it just got in the way of the inch pinching. If you make a frame that is 1080 +30 say - how are you going to ride it ? I guarantee that you wont be spinning down stair sets and for most people, wont even be doing a bunnyhop. It will be trials on street, with lots of inch pinching and a seat is only goin to get in the way unless you make it stupidly low ala the czar etc ...

To make a frame with a seat you need make it not matter that it is in the way for inch pinching, and hence not have it happen. And the only way to do that is to make it good at actual street. Then you can have it at a height that you can actually sit on with both feet on the pedals. Even my beloved echo pure 04 is pushing it in this respect as it is very good for actual trials, and a little less good for proper street. I think yes it may look good by why bother for a longer frame where it is JUST going to be in the way.

Ive ranted.

1050, 72, 380, +20 (Y)

nice clean lines,

with the downtube bottom flat, then into a rounded point near the top (_) stylee,

a bolt hole to go through the frame into the seat post to keep it in place,

vee mounts under the seatstays AND on top, so you can choose. built in booster, no disc mounts,

nice, simple colour scheme, such as matt black with white stickers, or brown frame and black stickers (STICKERS, NOT ETCHED ONZA! SO WE CAN TAKE YOUR SHITTY GRAPHICS OFF),

vertical dropouts.

wide enough for a 2.4" tyre

110 headtube

1.8kg

300 quid max

EDIT: made using a std size fork, not koxx forks.

that would be pretty ideal to be honest

Edited by Ash-Kennard

1050, 72, 380, +20 (Y)

nice clean lines,

with the downtube bottom flat, then into a rounded point near the top (_) stylee,

a bolt hole to go through the frame into the seat post to keep it in place,

vee mounts under the seatstays AND on top, so you can choose. built in booster, no disc mounts,

nice, simple colour scheme, such as matt black with white stickers, or brown frame and black stickers (STICKERS, NOT ETCHED ONZA! SO WE CAN TAKE YOUR SHITTY GRAPHICS OFF),

vertical dropouts.

wide enough for a 2.4" tyre

110 headtube

1.8kg

300 quid max

EDIT: made using a std size fork, not koxx forks.

that would be pretty ideal to be honest

I think you've hit it bang on apart from those bits ^^

If you dont want a disk mount, then just grind it off. 1050 might suit some, so a longer version of say 1065 would be good for taller riders. Surely you can be more imaginatve with colours! A nice gloss bright colour perhaps. An why bother having mounts under the stays? Oh, and theres nothing wrong with a std seat collar.

Also 1.8kg is definitely too light for a street frame. 2kg is a bare minimum

Other than that though, i like your thinking

Edited by walker

the 06 controls weigh bout 1.8, they seem to be fairly sturdy...

i forgot to say, same alu as the 06 controls :)

fe bout the disc mounts, but i will never run rear disc, and everyone who does seems to kill their frame, giving it a bad rep, then they dont sell :)

how about a chrome colour frame, with free stickers of your colour choice and a can paint and laquor?

i hate saddle collars, they never work very well and look pretty shit. but ive had second thoughts about the bolt thing too.

and the length of it. maybe one in 1040, and a long in 1065?

Edited by Ash-Kennard