Knurling Machine = No More Grinding?

nek0

I've seen hand held ones people have made but nothing like this. Stolen from OTN

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showpost....p;postcount=103

Got tired of grinding so I made myself a knurling unit.

So far it works great and I have not deformed the rim.

Been a machinist for 35 years. Hope the pictures help.

It won't crush the rim as long as you apply pressure slowly.

Once you knurl the rim the knurling tools will pick up the same pattern. All you're doing is refreshing the pattern after that.

Like all things, you have to know when enough is enough.

Looks so much wasierthan having to take wheel off and all that balls too.

C'mon... Who really does that, anyway?

Looks decent, I reckon. Though a proper knurl, leaving little diamonds there would be better :P Pads wouldn't last long on one of them though :\

Wasn't this tried ages ago? I've got some image in my head of it being Onza who gave it a go? I'm sure it never worked as well as a grind back then so was dismissed.

Anyone else remember? I'm sure there was a picture posted on here about it...

edit -

Found it. Way back in 2005!

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....amp;hl=knurling

Edited by eMAyaRKay

And the Singapore Stop. Just depends on whether the way their knurling is done is better than Onza's, which didn't work that well. That's why I was interested in what a rider had to say about it, rather than some guy who's main claim is that he's been a machinist (Or whatever it was) for 35 years...

Wouldnt a straight knurl be more appropriate? Although the idea is actually awesome! Id see a straight knurl looking pretty sweet too! it wont be all messy like a grinded rim. I think onza should retry this with their new pro-series pads! would surely test them to the max!

YAY another way to ruin your wheels.

il stick with smooth i think.

plus surely the pressure is too much on both sides in the process?

If by "ruin your wheels" you mean have a stronger brake with better modulation than just plastering as much tar as physically possible on your rim, then yeah, I guess it is? If you mean a way of being able to ride when it's not bone dry outside, then it's that too...

As the guy said, if you put too much pressure on it, it'll be putting too much pressure on it. It's no different to grinding a rim - you could just cut straight through the rim with a grinder, but if you do it right you get a good result. Same deal with this.

It doesn't seem to do that much though...

That rims obviously been ground before and this device has added a few light marks to the rim. That would wear out in no time at all in the wet.

Edit: Also "The cost of the unit, materials only, and depending on the quality of knurling tools you use is $300.00 to $500.00.". Mmmkay.

Tarty gave me a knurled DX32 to test. It looked promising, very rough, constant surface.

Unfortunately it didn't work to the same standard as a grind using my proven home made pads. Wore the pads out much faster than usual, and it had nowhere as near as much hold as a grind. Shame really!

I did make a mistake though... built the rim up just before Koxx days and didn't ride any street on it whatsoever. Should've tested it on somewhere less extreme as Buthiers!

It kinda performed like a smooth rim. No loud squeaking when dragging the brake, plenty of modulation but a serious lack of hold! When you dragged the brake it sounded weird, like a zip being zipped up fast lol.

Tarty gave me a knurled DX32 to test. It looked promising, very rough, constant surface.

Unfortunately it didn't work to the same standard as a grind using my proven home made pads. Wore the pads out much faster than usual, and it had nowhere as near as much hold as a grind. Shame really!

I did make a mistake though... built the rim up just before Koxx days and didn't ride any street on it whatsoever. Should've tested it on somewhere less extreme as Buthiers!

It kinda performed like a smooth rim. No loud squeaking when dragging the brake, plenty of modulation but a serious lack of hold! When you dragged the brake it sounded weird, like a zip being zipped up fast lol.

yep...that was mine :) i heard that the knurling got ground off pretty quickly at koxx days.

i made a knurling machine back in september and did loads of patterns. the cross-hatch one you got seriously performed the best of all of them (which is, as you know, not very good).

but it was fun to make something. better things down the pipeline soon (hopefully).

I thought Onza tried knurling and gave it up because it didn't give a rough enough surface?

They also tried machining it aswell I seem to remember, which didn't work.

Why not make a grinding machine? Something that spins the wheel and grinds it at the same time, so all you have to do is select how harsh a grind you want by changing the speed that the rim passes the disc and how hard it presses into it?

Could be done I suppose, probably not cost effective though...

Onza's worked, but it only really held in one direction.

Regarding a 'grinding machine' - it's never going to be cheaper than a normal grinder for a tenner from your local hardware shop. A bit of experience and a bit of thought mean you can grind it pretty easily and get the result you're after, so I don't see why you'd bother wasting the time trying to make a machine that would just do it for you.

Onza's worked, but it only really held in one direction.

Regarding a 'grinding machine' - it's never going to be cheaper than a normal grinder for a tenner from your local hardware shop. A bit of experience and a bit of thought mean you can grind it pretty easily and get the result you're after, so I don't see why you'd bother wasting the time trying to make a machine that would just do it for you.

yeah but having something to wack your wheel in, and press a button is so much easier + cooler. Especially if you've got a couple to do. Im rather impartial to using the grinder to spin the wheel up to 10,000 RPM and then grinding f**k out of it :P

Grinding's good, never turn down a good grind!

I never really had much of a problem just letting my back tyre down, pushing the tyre to the side, buzzing the rim with the grinder, spinning the wheel a little bit, grind that bit, etc., then pumping the tyre back up. I ran a front disc so it wasn't really a problem, but even when I ran dual HS33s it wasn't too hard to just let the other tyre down and do the same on the front rim...

yeah but having something to wack your wheel in, and press a button is so much easier + cooler. Especially if you've got a couple to do. Im rather impartial to using the grinder to spin the wheel up to 10,000 RPM and then grinding f**k out of it :P

Grinding's good, never turn down a good grind!

Also wouldn't a machine give a more consistant,even grind?