Mtb Pics Thread

haydon_peter

If your QR is seized, it means you've not looked after it or don't use it often enough. If you look after your bike and keep everything greased, this doesn't happen. I doubt one of these posts will help because they'll presumably seize just as easily.

Ever ridden in the Quantocks? I've had clean hope qr's seize and disc brake pads last a 20 mile ride in the wet. The dirt is very very harsh on bits. The Joplin/gravity dropper posts are known to seize , but the reviews of the RS post seem positive in this aspect and with less wobble in the saddle comparatively too; and with the quality/reliability of the forks they're producing at the moment I have faith that they will be well sealed and up to the job.

Ever ridden in the Quantocks? I've had clean hope qr's seize and disc brake pads last a 20 mile ride in the wet. The dirt is very very harsh on bits. The Joplin/gravity dropper posts are known to seize , but the reviews of the RS post seem positive in this aspect and with less wobble in the saddle comparatively too; and with the quality/reliability of the forks they're producing at the moment I have faith that they will be well sealed and up to the job.

I have ridden in the Quantocks, yeah. It's pretty similar to the peak district where I ride in terms of the grit and yes, I agree that it is harsh. But you've missed my point - if you can't keep something like a standard seatpost from seizing then I don't think a gravity-dropper type thing will help.

I've had clean hope qr's seize and disc brake pads last a 20 mile ride in the wet.

Two problems there, one being that Hope QRs are rubbish, and the second being that it should be well greased not clean :P

These days unless I'm going downhill for more than 10 mins I just leave my saddle at max height and deal with it, surprising how little it bothers me now.

I guess I should add some pics while I'm here. I bought this frame a few years ago and built it up on the cheap. It was looking a bit dull and needed some new parts. So I decided to touch it up, relacquer the whole frame and get a decent spec throughout.

post-18-027855800 1287498370_thumb.jpg

post-18-021270300 1287498412_thumb.jpg

You can make out some of the bits I touched up in this photo, but in real life its very hard to see.

post-18-079754800 1287498441_thumb.jpg

post-18-079454800 1287498526_thumb.jpg

post-18-027359500 1287498641_thumb.jpg

I have ridden in the Quantocks, yeah. It's pretty similar to the peak district where I ride in terms of the grit and yes, I agree that it is harsh. But you've missed my point - if you can't keep something like a standard seatpost from seizing then I don't think a gravity-dropper type thing will help.

I'm more that capable of keeping one working fine, it's just damn inconvenient when you're in the middle of a ride and it's covered in shit and won't move. But you've also missed my point that the whole getting off, readjusting your post for every climb or decent breaks the flow of a ride and is more of a inconvenience than any bit of maintenance, which I'm generally more than competent at sorting.

My thoughts exactly! :P

Does look like a beast though, how much did that set you back?

In Norway it retails at Kr. 60 000,- Now for the maths: £1 = Kr. 9,43 60 000 / 9,43 = £ 6363,-

Seeing it this way, I`m kinda glad I work in a bikeshop... ;)

In Norway it retails at Kr. 60 000,- Now for the maths: £1 = Kr. 9,43 60 000 / 9,43 = £ 6363,-

Seeing it this way, I`m kinda glad I work in a bikeshop... ;)

Shit the bed! I thought I was seeing some awful currency conversion when I saw the frame on some random site for 3k!

Definitely one for staff discount ;)

Please ignore my lack of MTB knowledge but why does it cost so much?

Like, what makes it so special from a.. say.. £600 frame etc?

Is it build quality, weight..

It's a full carbon fibre downhill frame. As such there will be a very small number of them produced at a very high cost per unit.

If CF stuff didn't have such a stigma attached to it I'm sure it'd be more popular and therefore cheaper.

To those talking about dropper posts, have you looked into the Pure Racing ones? Same guy who does Superstar components, I was running one for a bit and it was more than up to the job for me. Admittedly though, I don't ride as often or as hard as I'm sure some of you do.

To those talking about dropper posts, have you looked into the Pure Racing ones? Same guy who does Superstar components, I was running one for a bit and it was more than up to the job for me. Admittedly though, I don't ride as often or as hard as I'm sure some of you do.

Yeah I have looked at one and it's the only other one I've considered so fair based on its reviews and spec, it's not too far off what i'd ended paying for a RS post and I think any warranty or servicing would be easier to deal with through them. Does look good though.

Yeah I have looked at one and it's the only other one I've considered so fair based on its reviews and spec, it's not too far off what i'd ended paying for a RS post and I think any warranty or servicing would be easier to deal with through them. Does look good though.

I'd be surprised, Neil went through a period with the old model where there was a bit of a problem and all the warrantys were done damn quick. He properly respects his brand, and the new posts are really well sealed. Not wanting to sell his product for him, but there's a vote of confidence in them.

I'd be surprised, Neil went through a period with the old model where there was a bit of a problem and all the warrantys were done damn quick. He properly respects his brand, and the new posts are really well sealed. Not wanting to sell his product for him, but there's a vote of confidence in them.

I was about to say the same thing, the warranty support is very quick, didn't even question me when a set of pads fell apart on me.