Mtb Pics Thread

haydon_peter

just got an Orange 5 AM, it's a fantastic bike! I went to a demo day in Scotland a tried a few bikes (cove, Mondraker, Santacruze, other Orange bikes) but the 5 just blew the others out of the water both uphill and downhill.

I know it's not got the latest greatest suspension design nor mega travel, but its simple and works! I would feel quite happy hitting Downhill tracks on this bike (I may race at some point). The point is ride a few bikes, don't get fooled to think that you need mega travel or a complex new design to get a good bike, sometims simple is best.

Tomm, i hate you :P so they're not all that good? I want a bike with 6" travel that's not over burly. I guess i'm just after an AM bike. I wanna be able to pedal it around but not loads, cos i've got my xc bike for that. What's up with the commy as well? It's only a swing arm in carbon because they couldn't sort me the alu one at such a good price...

Ah i really dunno what to do? Any alternatives?

My friend had a Morewood and it was a really fun bike because the handling was really sharp and twitchy. Almost like a full sus BMX or something. Definitely not what you want all the time, he got rid of it quite soon after buying it. There's nothing wrong with the Commencal - I have one and I love it. I'd just question the need for a carbon one, it doesn't save much weight and it seems like a liability.

If you've got an XC bike, then is a 5.5" commencal really going to be that different? It depends what sort of stuff you ride, but as far as I'm concerned my Commencal is an XC bike. If you want something for a bit of everything including some DH / jumps etc, get something a bit burlier and more heavyweight.

Tomm, i hate you :P so they're not all that good? I want a bike with 6" travel that's not over burly. I guess i'm just after an AM bike. I wanna be able to pedal it around but not loads, cos i've got my xc bike for that. What's up with the commy as well? It's only a swing arm in carbon because they couldn't sort me the alu one at such a good price...

Ah i really dunno what to do? Any alternatives?

I'm looking for the exact same thing atm (albeit second hand) and the main bikes I keep searching for are Scott Ransoms and Trek Remedys. They seem to match up my requirements best atm, but I'm still getting my head back into the scene!

If you've got an XC bike, then is a 5.5" commencal really going to be that different? It depends what sort of stuff you ride, but as far as I'm concerned my Commencal is an XC bike. If you want something for a bit of everything including some DH / jumps etc, get something a bit burlier and more heavyweight.
(Y)

It's the meta 6 i'm after though, Tomm. It's a fair bit burlier. I had a look at one in the flesh today and it was a large, looked horrible! I think it would be better in a smaller frame but i was after a compact 6" AM bike that i could pedal so pref not too slack seat angle but was quite low slung and semi burly. The Morewood thing is bugging me, i really wanna ride one to see how bad they actually are but i dunno if i'm gonna find one too easily. I dunno if it will make too many odds to me though, cos it's the right type of bike, i'll just have to get used to it, but i'd do that anyway. It's just so convenient with that 1.5" headtube! Ah this is hard work!

I've never actually ridden a Meta 6, but I have had a look at them. You're right, they are a bit beefier and the tubing is fatter in various places, but I can't see it riding very differently to a 5.5 (The magazines seem to suggest this, too). My bike sticks like glue to the ground at low - medium speeds which is ideal for climbing, but as you get going a bit faster, it gets fairly skittery over rough stuff, whereas a bigger bike with a coil spring will absorb more and grip better.

Santa Cruz Bullet?

Intense 6.6

Transition Bottlerocket?

In fact, if you get a BottleRocket, Ima cut your cock off. I've wanted one for ages.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_BottleRocket.cfm

Transition Bottlerocket?

In fact, if you get a BottleRocket, Ima cut your cock off. I've wanted one for ages.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_BottleRocket.cfm

Lush bikes, Orange blood is basically a copy of it and have been sorely tempted to get one. I think i need another jump bike in my life though. NS traffic frames anygood?

Lush bikes, Orange blood is basically a copy of it and have been sorely tempted to get one. I think i need another jump bike in my life though. NS traffic frames anygood?

Yeah, plus the Orange is way more expensive and doesn't look as nice. I just don't understand Orange bikes, everyone seems to love them but I don't get why you would buy one.

Yeah, plus the Orange is way more expensive and doesn't look as nice. I just don't understand Orange bikes, everyone seems to love them but I don't get why you would buy one.

I've got to be honest i'm the same. I understand you're paying a premium for the fact it's a British designed and made bike, but there's nothing that for me makes them stand out. They're very simple, fairly light and designed with the UK weather in mind, but i'd want a little more for the money i'd have to pay to own one. Saying that my last two bikes have been Intense frames..... so i'm a sucker for buying over priced frames.

You got it :D

Looks sweet man, nice work!

X control 710, ***! It lives in the bedroom atm. still got the marin, which I use for day to day fun, the 710 is for racing and the occasional showing off only!

I had an old 222 DH bike, whata beast :wub:

Nice! How old is that? And how much progression have Orange made over the last 10 years? Materials, suspension design, geometry? Oh it's all the same. And £2k frame-only.

Nice! How old is that? And how much progression have Orange made over the last 10 years? Materials, suspension design, geometry? Oh it's all the same. And £2k frame-only.

It was a 2003 and i think, i could see no difference between that frame and the 223 when i went to escher :blink:

dmr trailstar

pretty standard spec really i use it for dirt jumping, skate parksand a lil bit of trail riding.

only paid £250 for it and its stood up to 6 months of abuse so far

DSC06954.jpg

Mmmm my mate had a 24" with rigids as a park bike, lussssh.

Jardo that Lapierre looks proper fit! I have a serious soft spot for them, want a Zesty! Jealous!

The Orange DH bikes have changed a fair bit Geo wise over the models, but then there's only so much you can do to refine a lightweight single pivot DH frame.

On other news I now have CK hubs front and rear, only a few other bits (Ti spring, KS 950i seatpost) and she'll be done!

Edited by craigjames

Wouldn't bother. Hope isn't the name, it's the instructions! They bite awesome but have no hold whatsoever, might suit some riding types but i think they're lacking if they can't lock the wheels!

Alternatives then? What about higher end avid? Got hayes sole's at the moment which bite ok but as soon as your gunning it down a track it's squeeze and hope! Calipers are too small so heat up quickly

Elixirs are pretty damn good! I've used elixir r with carbon levers on my dh bike and my xc bike and they're awesome. I tried some mini dh trails on my xc bike and was on the brakes all the time, they got mega hot but still performed very well, no fade. Easy set up and pad change too.