Mtb Pics Thread

haydon_peter

Alternatives then? What about higher end avid? Got hayes sole's at the moment which bite ok but as soon as your gunning it down a track it's squeeze and hope! Calipers are too small so heat up quickly

Nope, don't go avid. I'e been reading up on them a lot as i want a new rear brake and so many people have said not to bother it's unreal. I've not heard this kind of unanimous decision since people started asking if trials-uk is a good site to use! My rear avi is only the 3 and it's supposed to be one of the more reliable ones, mines (for want of a better phrase) absolutely wank.

Shimano saint's 2010. If you want power and ease of use, that's your brake. Plus they look mint too.

Got a magazine with some disc brake supertest things here where they tested the brakes on a dynamo and recorded all the results. Could always scan it and upload if it'd be of any use?

Juicy 3's suck. The elixirs have a much better lever/piston technology, and better caliper for better cooling. Juicy range gets better at the 7's but the 3 definitely has a cheaper caliper which is where the power loss is from, then the 3 lever only has lever reach adjustment.

Shimano are good if you can bleed brakes, it's the mechanics brake. I can say the saints are very good brakes, yeah, but wayyy too much for that trail bike! 2010 saints are 4 pot beasts.

I think elixirs would be best... There's hayes as an alternative but they make the worst sound ever. Maguras are pretty nice like a set of louises but maybe a little less common on bikes in this country so slightly harder to get bits for (?) The only thing you'll struggle with is actually bleeding them if you need to change hose or anything (on the elixirs), it's probably the most complicated bleed out there but it's definitely do-able. The manual's pretty straight forward, but the thing is, you probably won't need to do it.

Edited by Fixed Pants™

Shimano are good if you can bleed brakes, it's the mechanics brake. I can say the saints are very good brakes, yeah, but wayyy too much for that trail bike! 2010 saints are 4 pot beasts.

The 2010 Saint brakes are a rerun of the 2004/5 (?) XT brakes, I had a set on my Kona Coiler Dee-Lux before it got stolen back in 2006. They are still, to this day, the best feeling brakes I have EVER used. It's one of those unquantifiable things but they just seem to give so much information back to you as you squeeze down on them. I've not tried the Saints, but as I said the calipers at least, are an exact rerun of the old XTs, just with a different finish.

Nope, don't go avid. I'e been reading up on them a lot as i want a new rear brake and so many people have said not to bother it's unreal. I've not heard this kind of unanimous decision since people started asking if trials-uk is a good site to use! My rear avi is only the 3 and it's supposed to be one of the more reliable ones, mines (for want of a better phrase) absolutely wank.

Shimano saint's 2010. If you want power and ease of use, that's your brake. Plus they look mint too.

Got a magazine with some disc brake supertest things here where they tested the brakes on a dynamo and recorded all the results. Could always scan it and upload if it'd be of any use?

The thing with trying to research on the net about brakes (or anything) is that one person will say they're amazing and another don't bother, so it's hard to know what to do. I would of said from the get go that a Juicy 3 would be pretty turd since it's the lowest end brake they do?

Yeah i've heard other people say about saints before but I think they may be a bit much like fatty said.

Juicy 3's suck. The elixirs have a much better lever/piston technology, and better caliper for better cooling. Juicy range gets better at the 7's but the 3 definitely has a cheaper caliper which is where the power loss is from, then the 3 lever only has lever reach adjustment.

I think elixirs would be best... There's hayes as an alternative but they make the worst sound ever. Maguras are pretty nice like a set of louises but maybe a little less common on bikes in this country so slightly harder to get bits for (?) The only thing you'll struggle with is actually bleeding them if you need to change hose or anything (on the elixirs), it's probably the most complicated bleed out there but it's definitely do-able. The manual's pretty straight forward, but the thing is, you probably won't need to do it.

Yeah I think I'll try and get a set of elixirs, should do the job nicely. Plus I've seen a few good sets go on ebay for about £150 which is £50 less than what a set of hope x2's go for.

cheers!

The 2010 Saint brakes are a rerun of the 2004/5 (?) XT brakes, I had a set on my Kona Coiler Dee-Lux before it got stolen back in 2006. They are still, to this day, the best feeling brakes I have EVER used. It's one of those unquantifiable things but they just seem to give so much information back to you as you squeeze down on them. I've not tried the Saints, but as I said the calipers at least, are an exact rerun of the old XTs, just with a different finish.

The XTs have never been 4 piston? The 06 saints are a beast, i know, i've got them! And they are the same caliper as the 09 xt (if we're on the same lines). I run them on my hardtail freeride bike, but they're old now.

2010 saints are 4 piston full on dh brakes.

Good man, Rob, you'll love them!

Last years Avid Elixirs were a little dodgy reliability wise, but the 2010 range seem to be OK in that respect but still work brilliantly, saying that 2011 bits will be out soon. The latest Shimano XT stuff is awesome and I'd strongly recommend them too. Personally I have Avid Code callipers and Juicy Ultimate levers (what I took off my DH bike and put on my trail bike) and they really are too powerful for the riding I do now, but it is quite nice knowing you've got it if you need it. If you can wait and can afford it the latest Shimano XTR trail brakes are supposed to be amazing.

Last years Avid Elixirs were a little dodgy reliability wise, but the 2010 range seem to be OK in that respect but still work brilliantly, saying that 2011 bits will be out soon. The latest Shimano XT stuff is awesome and I'd strongly recommend them too. Personally I have Avid Code callipers and Juicy Ultimate levers (what I took off my DH bike and put on my trail bike) and they really are too powerful for the riding I do now, but it is quite nice knowing you've got it if you need it. If you can wait and can afford it the latest Shimano XTR trail brakes are supposed to be amazing.

Recently Shimano brakes have become a bit unreliable in my experience (of about 4 sets). New Saint / Servo wave XT / SLX all work well at first but have gone a bit crap over a year or so. Disagree with the comment about needing to bleed them though - they will never be as good again if you bleed 'em.

I reckon the next brakes I buy will be Elixirs (although I have no plans at the moment). They just feel amazing, and as reliability doesn't seem too bad, I reckon they're the best option out there.

The XTs have never been 4 piston? The 06 saints are a beast, i know, i've got them! And they are the same caliper as the 09 xt (if we're on the same lines). I run them on my hardtail freeride bike, but they're old now.

2010 saints are 4 piston full on dh brakes.

Good man, Rob, you'll love them!

Shimanos first discs were 4 pot xt, they stopped making them a while back though.

I REALLY like Formula brakes, bit expensive though.

Right i'm not sure if is the right place but anyway. I have always been interested downhill mtb an at this moment in time am particularly interested.

I'm interested to see what sort of things you can get for a mega low budget. It doesn't have to be great, just function and be up to the job. I've taken a look at pinkbike and ebay but am stuck for where else to look.

Any pointers for what i should be looking at and what to avoid would be great thanks :)

I'm interested to see what sort of things you can get for a mega low budget. It doesn't have to be great, just function and be up to the job. I've taken a look at pinkbike and ebay but am stuck for where else to look.

As far as I can work out, cheap downhill bike = old kona. They're heavy and about as advanced as a house brick but actually they ride OK. I recently bought a 2005 stab in great condition for £500 - that did a week DHing in France for my girlfriend with no complaints at all.

Boumsong saw my old kona jump bike in loughborough today being walked down the street by a pair of chavs. They hadn't changed a thing on it, though he didn't know it was mine for sure (so didn't stop them) until i spoke to him later in the day.

It sucks knowing that someone in the area is waltzing around with my stuff and i have no real idea where. Just gonna have to keep an eye out still....

I saw a friend's bike which had been robbed being ridden by some proper skaggy-looking chav in Manchester. So I followed him around for a bit until he stopped outside a (betting) shop and, as scallies love to do, left it leaning up against the railings. I calmly picked it up then pedalled the f**k out of there with the guy running down the road after me. I don't think I've ever had more adrenaline coursing round my body since!

Tomm 1 - 0 Scallies

(actually it's Tomm 1 - 2 Scallies because they still have my BMX and my old Leeson :( )

As far as I can work out, cheap downhill bike = old kona. They're heavy and about as advanced as a house brick but actually they ride OK. I recently bought a 2005 stab in great condition for £500 - that did a week DHing in France for my girlfriend with no complaints at all.

I had kind of got the impression that konas were perhaps the way to go on a low budget. Is there anywhere I should look for some second hand deals??

Edited by Duncy H

Pinkbike

Southern Downhill

There are a few other forums (descent-world, gravity slaves) but 90% of the for sale ads on there are cross-posted from one of the above. Pinkbike is probably better: 1) because it's dead easy to search for bikes (E.g. filter by price / look at the pictures, and 2) because there are a lot of groms and people who don't actually ride much, so perhaps the bikes on there have had an easier life. (As opposed to SouthernDH which seems to be populated by people that ride and may hammer their gear). That's just my impression.

I've bought two bikes from Pinkbike, one from a 17 year old rich kid who never rode it and the other from a slightly overweight middle-aged guy that didn't seem to have ridden much either. Which is nice.

I saw a friend's bike which had been robbed being ridden by some proper skaggy-looking chav in Manchester. So I followed him around for a bit until he stopped outside a (betting) shop and, as scallies love to do, left it leaning up against the railings. I calmly picked it up then pedalled the f**k out of there with the guy running down the road after me. I don't think I've ever had more adrenaline coursing round my body since!

Tomm 1 - 0 Scallies

(actually it's Tomm 1 - 2 Scallies because they still have my BMX and my old Leeson :( )

:(

Shame boumsong didn't know for sure it was mine. We tried looking round that end of town for it and it is a complete dive of an estate. I think i'll keep checking every now and again to see if i get lucky sometime.

I also got my kona off pinkbike. Aside from some poorly set up components and some general servicing it was a steal and is lovely to ride.

Presumably not with those levers in 04 though.

That looks like a good combo superbrake though. I like the Servo wave levers.

No it was the ones that I think are the bone stock levers for Shimano brakes nowadays, or perhaps Deore?

Presumably not with those levers in 04 though.

That looks like a good combo superbrake though. I like the Servo wave levers.

Yeah they has a Grimeca-esque lever back in the day. Also seem to remember the caliper being a dark grey colour.

EDIT: there she is

item-20050711221803412.jpg