Mtb Pics Thread

haydon_peter

New drive train and chain guide purchased waiting to be fitted (Over a pound lighter than what I removed!)

Rear shock is being serviced and custom valved by TFT next week.

New linkage bearings arrived today, the frame is currently stripped and ready to fit the new bearings ASAP.

TFT have advised they will happily service the forks but wont be able to get rid of any play in the bushes (Dam you shitty 2008 Marzocchi 66's!) so I am now on the lookout for replacement forks!

France in less than 1 month! :D

Will the bike be ready in time? :lol:

Rear shock is back from TFT.

Enduro linkage bearings are now fitted, just need to bolt the rear end back together.

Picking up some 2nd hand but practically new 2009 Rock Shox Totem Solo Airs on Sunday.

New rims have arrived from CRC and appropriate spokes ordered from Tarty today. Just waiting on Chris to use his wheel building skills over the next few days and I will have some nice strong straight wheels.

I have few other bits to sort like hub bearings, tyres, bars and stem but otherwise I have all the bits sorted.

So by the middle of next week I will have a built up bike! Just in time for Morzine in 2 weeks!

:D :D :D

I know how big they are and I know what they are going to look like on my bike :)

The bike should hopefully be finished on Tuesday night!

Before and after photos of bike will be added once I am done.

I love mine, i've had the bike for a while now and i still get a boyish smile creep on my face when i see the forks. Absolute monsters.

Can't wait to see pictures, sounds like it's a decent project.

Rear shock is back from TFT.

Enduro linkage bearings are now fitted, just need to bolt the rear end back together.

Picking up some 2nd hand but practically new 2009 Rock Shox Totem Solo Airs on Sunday.

New rims have arrived from CRC and appropriate spokes ordered from Tarty today. Just waiting on Chris to use his wheel building skills over the next few days and I will have some nice strong straight wheels.

I have few other bits to sort like hub bearings, tyres, bars and stem but otherwise I have all the bits sorted.

So by the middle of next week I will have a built up bike! Just in time for Morzine in 2 weeks!

:D :D :D

wheels done beh!

Anyone got an old hardtail frame sitting around I might be able to have/buy cheap? Looking at 18-20", would like to have v-brake bosses if possible but anything will be considered.

Got a Voodoo Wanga steel frame, adjustable drop outs so it takes single speed or geared but atm it's SS only but has removeable bolt on bosses and the drop out still has a disc mount... 17", 15 year frame warranty. After 100 quid.

I accidentally bought this today Scott Ransom 10

Have I got a good deal there, or do I need to "find a crack" when I go to pick it up :lol:

Would seriously appreciate some opinions on this one, there's some big discrepancies between the listed spec and what I can see in the photos/video so there's an easy way out...

Got a Voodoo Wanga steel frame, adjustable drop outs so it takes single speed or geared but atm it's SS only but has removeable bolt on bosses and the drop out still has a disc mount... 17", 15 year frame warranty. After 100 quid.

Cheers Glen, I'll keep it in mind but it's probably a bit too much for me.

Well i was going to post up the kona shred but pikeys ruined that plan

08052010252.jpg

And so they did again with this one about 2 hours ago. I was to blame really as i thought left the bike unlocked outside a shop in a fairly rough part of loughborough. Couldn't see anyone and it was really late so i thought it'd be okay for a minute while i grabbed a drink. Left the bike in front of a cctv camera and with the wheel in the doorway of the shop so i could see it and some f**ker walked out the shop after buying his stuff and then grabbed the bike and was off. Was rather furious, at myself as much as anything, and promptly called the police, made sure the guy was on cctv etc. Nobody could do anything though until the next day :angry:

Couldn't believe it had been stolen and ended up walking round the estate that was nearby in the vain hope of seeing it. Sadly, no such joy. I even tried asking some dodgy looking kid if he knew where the best place to look was and to get the word out that there'd be a reward of a couple of hundred for it. Best he could do was point me to somewhere nearby though which i tried looking round but to no avail.

So i was on my way back when i see this guy i spoke to riding around on the bike, said he knew exactly where it would have been and went to go fetch it for me. So i nipped to tesco and got £50 out for him (i was grateful for him actually bringing it back) and told him i couldn't get anymore and that if he wants the other £50 to come round to my house and get it tomorrow and promptly gave him the house number for a couple of doors down from mine who've all moved home for summer (student house). Didn't think it'd be wise to give him mine as it may get out that theres a decent bike in my house and i'm not wanting any more robberies.

Pretty sketchy night!

I'll have fun when the police turn up tomorrow and i have to explain how i make a faster response team than they do.

You paid a pikey £50 for recovering a bike that his mate had just stolen from you? Nicely done :lol:

My bike update:

Chris built my wheels on Saturday.

Picked up the Totem forks yesterday.

I fitted the chain device last night and got a good chain line before discovering I am going to have to take an angle grinder to my cranks because the granny ring tabs rub on the chain device!

All required parts are now ordered and will be here tomorrow or Wednesday (Depending on how fast Parcel Farce 48h delivery is)

My credit card company will love me for abusing the card so wisely :P

I should be able to post photos by the end of the week :)

And so they did again with this one about 2 hours ago. I was to blame really as i thought left the bike unlocked outside a shop in a fairly rough part of loughborough. Couldn't see anyone and it was really late so i thought it'd be okay for a minute while i grabbed a drink. Left the bike in front of a cctv camera and with the wheel in the doorway of the shop so i could see it and some f**ker walked out the shop after buying his stuff and then grabbed the bike and was off. Was rather furious, at myself as much as anything, and promptly called the police, made sure the guy was on cctv etc. Nobody could do anything though until the next day :angry:

Couldn't believe it had been stolen and ended up walking round the estate that was nearby in the vain hope of seeing it. Sadly, no such joy. I even tried asking some dodgy looking kid if he knew where the best place to look was and to get the word out that there'd be a reward of a couple of hundred for it. Best he could do was point me to somewhere nearby though which i tried looking round but to no avail.

So i was on my way back when i see this guy i spoke to riding around on the bike, said he knew exactly where it would have been and went to go fetch it for me. So i nipped to tesco and got £50 out for him (i was grateful for him actually bringing it back) and told him i couldn't get anymore and that if he wants the other £50 to come round to my house and get it tomorrow and promptly gave him the house number for a couple of doors down from mine who've all moved home for summer (student house). Didn't think it'd be wise to give him mine as it may get out that theres a decent bike in my house and i'm not wanting any more robberies.

Pretty sketchy night!

I'll have fun when the police turn up tomorrow and i have to explain how i make a faster response team than they do.

LOL, that's awesome man.

Great story and a good result, even if it left you a few quid down - cheaper than a new bike :)

That was lucky...

Tell me about it. 2 minutes difference in anything i did and i'd not have seen the guy to speak to him in the first place. Apparently he wasn't meant to be out himself as he's under a police curfew!

From what he was saying they're a pair of well known local thieves, always stealing other peoples bikes and selling them off for £50 so they can score weed etc. Sounded as though he just walked into their back garden and took it from them :lol: ! The guy seemed to think that it'd have been at their house less than 24 hours before being sold so the police would have been way too slow to retrieve it by the sounds of things.

Got the police coming over tomorrow instead (talk about a speedy service) so i'll run through a statement with them and tell them what happened and how and that i've got the bike back. They've got them on like 3 sets of cctv and got them stealing it on camera so if they wanted to follow it up i guess that's up to them. Main thing is i have it back in my possession safely locked away in the house and covered under house insurance! :D

This is a f**ker, Commencal Meta 6 carbon swing arm for 800 quid brand new (a grand off) + the expense of changing fork uppers as my current forks are 1.5, or Morewood Mbuzi (with a retail of 1295) with a 1.5 so no expense on the fork, for potentially the same sort of money if propel can sort me out a staff deal type thing. I guess it's gonna be easier if i knew how much off the morewood would be, but it's looking to be easier for me from not having to change the fork. But, i'm skint as a whole so i don't know if either will happen, but i'm desperate for a full susser again! Anyone wanna buy my hucker frame? (pics in earlier post)

Edited by Fixed Pantsâ„¢

Looks like you've got it sorted out nicely :)

The head angle looks quite steep even though I know it isn't, I guess there's something about the lines etc f the other tubes and shock that are deceiving. So long as it rides like and beast, and by the sounds of it, it does, then that's what's important!

When are we racing?

Glen, have you ridden a Morewood? They're a bit weird. Quite short yet steep and pretty basic suspension design. I probably wouldn't spend that much money on one. Actually come to think of it, I wouldn't get a Carbon Commencal either. Unless you're trying to win the mega or something, I don't see the point.

Tomm, i hate you :P so they're not all that good? I want a bike with 6" travel that's not over burly. I guess i'm just after an AM bike. I wanna be able to pedal it around but not loads, cos i've got my xc bike for that. What's up with the commy as well? It's only a swing arm in carbon because they couldn't sort me the alu one at such a good price...

Ah i really dunno what to do? Any alternatives?

Rob - they are Mono M4's. So far they feel ok but I dont think they have fully bedded in yet. I have been riding down hills dragging the brakes to bed them in and they just don't appear to be heating up much! (I guess this is because they are massive!) I will see how I get on with them in France but so far I prefer the feel of the Shimano XT brakes that I run on my Commencal. I might 'upgrade' to something with more lever adjustment in the future.

Fatpants - How about the newer Commencal Supreme? They seem to pedal really well and would certainly be fun on the down hills! I also like the Orange Alpine 160's, they are just single pivot so again fairly basic but are meant to ride really well. Can you get hold of Lappierre? They do some very nice looking all mountain bikes! You need to get out and try as many bikes as you can before buying something.