Mtb Pics Thread

haydon_peter

A Meta 6 with Pikes? Are you planning to fit longer forks?.

Chain looks like it could be too short, maybe lower the chain device roller so the chain isn't wrapped around the chain ring so much. There is around 2 links chain growth with rear travel you need to take into account!

Is it a 2009 frame? I really hope it doesn't crack! 2009 was a terrible year for Commencal!

Sorry to point out some negatives, otherwise it looks tidy :)

A Meta 6 with Pikes? Are you planning to fit longer forks?.

Chain looks like it could be too short, maybe lower the chain device roller so the chain isn't wrapped around the chain ring so much. There is around 2 links chain growth with rear travel you need to take into account!

Is it a 2009 frame? I really hope it doesn't crack! 2009 was a terrible year for Commencal!

Sorry to point out some negatives, otherwise it looks tidy :)

Yeh, Pikes. Not planning on a new fork no, not until I need to.

I took the shock off and pushed the rear swing arm up further than it would ever go - chain is fine.

If it snaps, which it probably will, Im in the right job to get a fresh one.

I dont think I have posted in here yet. Currently looking for an all mountain / XC rig. Ideally looking for 2 rings upfront and between 4 - 6 inches of travel. Any ideas of what to look at?

This is my current ride although this picture is very old quite a few parts have been changed since them including wheels, brakes, saddle gips pedals etc. Il try and post a more recent picture soon.

DSCF0936.jpg

I dont think I have posted in here yet. Currently looking for an all mountain / XC rig. Ideally looking for 2 rings upfront and between 4 - 6 inches of travel. Any ideas of what to look at?

This is my current ride although this picture is very old quite a few parts have been changed since them including wheels, brakes, saddle gips pedals etc. Il try and post a more recent picture soon.

DSCF0936.jpg

ragley long travel hardtail. love mine!

That looks quite nice - how much was it?

They are £2100 for this years model.

Next years model will be pretty much the same except around £2600 with the price of bikes going up over the whole market so had to get one before the new models.

I like the way they've put a fox float 32 fork and a Fox RP23 with boost valve rear shock on. Other bikes had lesser forks and shock for more money. Pretty happy with the bike though.

The bike comes stickerless and comes with a sticker set, so you can put them where you want.

2l9kyg2.jpg

My 2010 Orange Five. This is the AM spec with bigger Fox 36 forks and the Sunline finishing kit (bar, stem, pedals).

I love this bike, I have tried quite a few different bikes on demo days and they were all pretty good, but the Five stood out as easily the best for me, I feel like I am sat "in" the bike, it feels like I can just put it exactly where I want it. I have the suspension fairly soft and it feels like a mini dh bike, yet I still ride up all the steep hills we have in the Pennines. I am tempted by a adjustable seatpost and 1X10 gearing too, but that will have to wait.

I can't reccommend this bike enough, it's fantastic.

it's a 16" once the post is up it feels fine for xc, but put the post down and you have so much room it's ace

I've been thinking about an Orange 5 frame for a while as i have a really lovely build AM bike but the frame is a Kona Coiler so it's very heavy and doesn't climb well. I've got some 2011 fox 36 TALAS forks and some lovely hope wheels which i think would work well with a 5 and seeing yours in the smaller size makes it looks even nicer as the big ones look a bit gangly.

What weight does your bike come in as mine would be a pretty similar build so it'd be nice to have some sort of idea!?

P.S. Your saddle/seatpost combo seems mad! I'd certainly go for a dropper seatpost in a heartbeat on that!

QR seat post not good enough for you? :P

IMO Unless you are doing a race like the Mega Avalanche there is little point in a dropper seat post.

They are just another thing that needs servicing and that could potentially break while out on the trail. The seat post is in direct firing line of all the mud and crap from the back wheel and you just end up with more cables routed to the handlebars.

Another cool expensive bit of shiny gear for all the middle aged weekend warriors that have just discovered mountain biking to go out and buy :lol:

Some really tasty bikes here , always loved Commencals . Bought this secondhand from the Dutch E bay for a killer price .

post-3439-062335100 1286895736_thumb.jpg

I'm amazed at it's condition given that it's probably a 1999 or 2000 model ( haven't seen IRC tyres since El Gatos used to be THE stock tyre :giggle: ) I think it's an F700 , always wanted one of these in this colourway ' cause of a notable U.K trials pioneer . With winter approaching , this should offer me a way to ride when trials is impractical :)

post-3439-092445100 1286895722_thumb.jpg

Spec is pretty basic and I ain't terribly thrilled at having gripshift but I'll give it a chance and I ditched both front rings ' cause I live in one of the flattest areas of the flattest country in Europe . I've been riding singlespeed trials & street so long it's a revelation to be able to sit normally and select appropriate gears , so relaxing ! The trials punk in me said the frame size is ideal , but perhaps I should have gone for a medium since it's really just for cruising around . Priority : decent pedals and tyres now that the frame and fork have proven that they're trustworthy .

Old man bollocks

For people that like to ride to the top of their downs they're an awesome product, the amount of time you piss about trying to sort out a seized QR and positioning the saddle just annoys me and breaks the flow of a ride. Granted I wouldn't touch a Joplin with "yours", it would probably die just at the sight of Quantock mud and grit.

Rockshox Reverb is what you want. Heard good stuff about it. Pricey though, but I'm sure you could get on the old B2B Ali ;).

The Reverb from what I have read should be brilliant, if it's anything as reliable and well built as their forks from the last few years it'll be a winner. Hence I have mine on order already, hurts the wallet though.

QR seat post not good enough for you? :P

IMO Unless you are doing a race like the Mega Avalanche there is little point in a dropper seat post.

They are just another thing that needs servicing and that could potentially break while out on the trail. The seat post is in direct firing line of all the mud and crap from the back wheel and you just end up with more cables routed to the handlebars.

Another cool expensive bit of shiny gear for all the middle aged weekend warriors that have just discovered mountain biking to go out and buy :lol:

Where I live though, in the pennines, there are lots of steep hills then sharp downhills. It's really annoying having to stop all the time and adjust the post, I would much rather be able to do it on the move.

I am not so sure about getting a remote one though, seems easy enough to me to reach under the seat and do it that way, I hate cables.

I completely agree. I think (if they work - i've never used one) the idea is great. Yes, you can stop, adjust, stop again, adjust again and whilst that's simple enough it can be friggin annoying and does kill flow. The idea of having it up it up for a big climb then the minute your at the top throwing it down is fantastic compared to the alternative......'' hold up lads, i've got to drop me seat''!

For people that like to ride to the top of their downs they're an awesome product, the amount of time you piss about trying to sort out a seized QR and positioning the saddle just annoys me and breaks the flow of a ride.

If your QR is seized, it means you've not looked after it or don't use it often enough. If you look after your bike and keep everything greased, this doesn't happen. I doubt one of these posts will help because they'll presumably seize just as easily.