Mtb Pics Thread

haydon_peter

Well i was going to post up the kona shred but pikeys ruined that plan so i decided to get a replacement toy, which i picked up last night.

Most people think they're ugly as sin but i've always had sort of a thing for them and wanted one since i first saw one.

08052010252.jpg

08052010254.jpg

08052010251.jpg

The guy who had it before me had it all set up for a small person so i've been trying to tweak it for a giant like myself. Took the forks apart today and they have the standard weight spring in them so i'm gonna have to chuck a red one on order tomorrow before i road test it later in the week. Rear brake could do with a bleed as well i think as the lever is a tad mushy.

2007 Kona Stinky frame (fox van r rear shock)

Rockshox Totem coil forks (mission control, external rebound)

Shimano something front brake which is surprisingly powerful

Juicy 3 rear brake

Pro 2 hubs front and rear on sun s-type rims

gap DH bar/stem

Truvativ cranks :sick:

Blackspire chain guide set

dmr v12's

Well i was going to post up the kona shred but pikeys ruined that plan so i decided to get a replacement toy, which i picked up last night.

Most people think they're ugly as sin but i've always had sort of a thing for them and wanted one since i first saw one.

The guy who had it before me had it all set up for a small person so i've been trying to tweak it for a giant like myself. Took the forks apart today and they have the standard weight spring in them so i'm gonna have to chuck a red one on order tomorrow before i road test it later in the week. Rear brake could do with a bleed as well i think as the lever is a tad mushy.

2007 Kona Stinky frame (fox van r rear shock)

Rockshox Totem coil forks (mission control, external rebound)

Shimano something front brake which is surprisingly powerful

Juicy 3 rear brake

Pro 2 hubs front and rear on sun s-type rims

gap DH bar/stem

Truvativ cranks :sick:

Blackspire chain guide set

dmr v12's

Nice! Looks in good nick :)

I'll get a pic of my big hit up here soon. Did a few uplifts (did/went on, i dunno..) in cwmcarn today and I'm fully loving DH at the moment, and my steed :D Bet you'll have some fun on that thing!

Nice! Looks in good nick :)

Yeah, it's in lovely condition. Just a few things needed greasing and re-tightening and the mission control on the forks had locked up so needed sorting out but for £600 it was an absolute steal. I mean the cost of the forks alone takes up the majority of that budget if i was to sell it so overall i'm a very happy bunny.

Think i have a session lined up for later on this week with a mate from back home so that should be great. Been watching this as well and just really want to get out on it now!

Been watching this as well and just really want to get out on it now!

Been there, ridden that. And yeah, it's as good as it looks. Shame it's several thousand miles away, eh? >_<

One suggestion, the front brake may be ok for a while but once it gets hot it'll probably start to loose it.

I'd concider replacing your brakes but hey, it looks amazing, and for the price who's gonna complain.

Except that Shimano brakes never, ever, boil?

At least not in my experience. Those deore brakes are really pretty good - I'd certainly rather have that than a Juicy 3 (which unfortunately I do have on my DH bike).

Been there, ridden that. And yeah, it's as good as it looks. Shame it's several thousand miles away, eh? >_<

<_< Rub it in then :P

One suggestion, the front brake may be ok for a while but once it gets hot it'll probably start to loose it.

I'd concider replacing your brakes but hey, it looks amazing, and for the price who's gonna complain.

Except that Shimano brakes never, ever, boil?

At least not in my experience. Those deore brakes are really pretty good - I'd certainly rather have that than a Juicy 3 (which unfortunately I do have on my DH bike).

To be honest, mirroring what tomm said the shimano brake has actually really surprised me. It feels smoother, has a much more definitive bite and fades less than the juicy 3. In fairness the juicy needs a bleed and i think the pads were/are contaminated so it's not really a decent comparison but the shimano happily endos me as i'm leaning over the back wheel and i'm well over 200lbs. At the minute both wheels modulate pretty damn well and will lock up happily so hopefully it'll be the same when i'm out later in the week.

Main concerns at the minute are new stiffer fork spring and sorting the gears. As soon as i get paid again i'll be looking at upgrading things. New cranks arms, pads/rotors, pedal bearings, bottom bracket and grips. Possibly brakes as well but that'll be a whilee as i'd have to get something really swish in order to justify changing them. Avid codes maybe? :shifty:

Saints? ;)

All the Avids I've ever dealt with have felt amazing, but they f**k up in weird ways. On my DH bike, the pads keep moving together when the wheels are out, so you can't get the wheel back in. The pistons won't move back, either. It's really f**king annoying. Still, I tried some Avid Elixirs the other day and they sure feel nice, so I can't say I wouldn't be tempted by a set...

Saints? ;)

All the Avids I've ever dealt with have felt amazing, but they f**k up in weird ways. On my DH bike, the pads keep moving together when the wheels are out, so you can't get the wheel back in. The pistons won't move back, either. It's really f**king annoying. Still, I tried some Avid Elixirs the other day and they sure feel nice, so I can't say I wouldn't be tempted by a set...

This is the biggest truth ever.

They are made of amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

So the police did try to help with my bike! Unfortunately, they called my bike, the name of the forks.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/8099988.PENGE__Appeal_after___3_300_bike_stolen_from_shed/

Plesed they tried to do something.

It still puzzles me how it has just disappeared, no trace of it at all. I searched those forks (as they're OEM ones from an 07 scott, so super rare) on google with commencal after it and it came up next to nothing. It's a shit ache i tell you!

It still puzzles me how it has just disappeared, no trace of it at all. I searched those forks (as they're OEM ones from an 07 scott, so super rare) on google with commencal after it and it came up next to nothing. It's a shit ache i tell you!

How is it puzzling? It's been sold off by the thief for significantly less than it's worth, probably to someone in another town/city. I was talking to someone the other week and he said if he'd nicked my bike he'd drive it in the van to his uncles and his uncle would sell it off locally (around 100 miles away) then him and his uncle would split the money they made, which would likely be around £3-400 for my kona. He sounded like he'd done it before so i promptly left.

Also, i think a lot of people may be understimating your modern bike thief. The way I see it, theres 2 types of thieves. Those that do it to feed a habit/for small cash as kids. so theyll be stealing whatever, then flogging it for like £50 for drugs/ new trainers. In which case it may well be in a canal/sprayed with rattle cans being rode round to deliver rocks on.

Or its stolen by those people who do it for a job. If i was to steal anything like that id choose something i knew about (so bikes, air rifles, motocross bikes etc) and then id either sell it in bit form. or id swap bits round with another bike id stolen, and sell both bikes off, you wouldnt know it was your bike on ebay, if it had different forks, wheels, cranks, seat etc on it, and neither would the bloke looking for his mint condition santa cruz, when its got oem forks off an 07 scott on it. and theyd sell for what they where worth, or just sell it on complete as kris says for less than its worth(or alternatively sell it on the pinkbike french classifieds etc)

Also, i think a lot of people may be understimating your modern bike thief. The way I see it, theres 2 types of thieves. Those that do it to feed a habit/for small cash as kids. so theyll be stealing whatever, then flogging it for like £50 for drugs/ new trainers. In which case it may well be in a canal/sprayed with rattle cans being rode round to deliver rocks on.

Or its stolen by those people who do it for a job. If i was to steal anything like that id choose something i knew about (so bikes, air rifles, motocross bikes etc) and then id either sell it in bit form. or id swap bits round with another bike id stolen, and sell both bikes off, you wouldnt know it was your bike on ebay, if it had different forks, wheels, cranks, seat etc on it, and neither would the bloke looking for his mint condition santa cruz, when its got oem forks off an 07 scott on it. and theyd sell for what they where worth, or just sell it on complete as kris says for less than its worth(or alternatively sell it on the pinkbike french classifieds etc)

Exactly, i've been in a fish shop on a leicester ride before and some guys come in offering the guy in the shop a bmx for £30. When they brought it in... Flybikes frame, odyssey rims, profile rear hub. If i had the money i do now i'd have bought it myself then maybe tried to return it, or at the very least keep hold of it till i hear of some local who's lost it. Chances are they'd have given me the £30 themselves to recoup me getting it back to them, i know i would if someone did that for me.

Ebay and the internet is too traceable, even dimwitted thieves know that. So selling it locally or shipping it to a friend then selling is the most untraceable way.

But i'd still like to think someones bought it, been chuffed and taken pics of it and put them on a forum somewhere. But yeah i can see how it would be swapped and swapped again but i've seen nothing, not even a glimse. The thing i'm thinking is that they're gonna keep it in a shed for 6 months until the dust has settled and i've lost all hope, then shift it. My cytech guy had a friends bikeshop stolen from, had a bike from the shop and it turned up on ebay 8 or so months later... Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

But i'd still like to think someones bought it, been chuffed and taken pics of it and put them on a forum somewhere. But yeah i can see how it would be swapped and swapped again but i've seen nothing, not even a glimse. The thing i'm thinking is that they're gonna keep it in a shed for 6 months until the dust has settled and i've lost all hope, then shift it. My cytech guy had a friends bikeshop stolen from, had a bike from the shop and it turned up on ebay 8 or so months later... Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

It's f**king shit, but let it go. My Leeson got stolen and I spent about 4 years of my life trying to find it, not to mention the months searching forums and ebay etc. My bike is long gone, probably to some scally twat that can't understand why it's not as fast as his mate's BMX.

When I had my DMR stolen, I held up hope to get it back. When I did get it back a month later everything but the frame was fooked.

So getting it back wasn't great - I sold the few parts that were usable and insurance paid out so I could get a new DMR...

Just saying, don't get too excited even if it did get found.

• 2 weeks later...
Last night I drove down to Exeter to view and purchase a second hand 2008 Giant Glory FR.

Let the tweaking commence :)

When I am finished I might post pictures...

New drive train and chain guide purchased waiting to be fitted (Over a pound lighter than what I removed!)

Rear shock is being serviced and custom valved by TFT next week.

New linkage bearings arrived today, the frame is currently stripped and ready to fit the new bearings ASAP.

TFT have advised they will happily service the forks but wont be able to get rid of any play in the bushes (Dam you shitty 2008 Marzocchi 66's!) so I am now on the lookout for replacement forks!

France in less than 1 month! :D

Will the bike be ready in time? :lol:

My norco b-line. Owned this for 2 days, Stolen from my school's bike shed! :angry:

Think that was this time last year...

Still haven't seen it again! :(

Jamie.

Thats when i used to ride my orange 222 to school i used a motorbike lock ^_^

Them norcos are lush bikes though dude, did you get another?

Bought some luggage scales the other day and weighed that titanium HT i got, 22lbs, i'm so surprised! i thought it was like 26+

Still no news on the meta 6 but the guys really busy atm. Hopefully will have it sorted by the end of the summer!

Went riding at Aston Hill the other day and it was pretty fun :)

So I'm building up a budget bike at the mo to hack about on, will upgrade to an actually ridable spec after the summer when I have the funds available.

As it stood about an hour ago (now got the Hopes on - mono mini front, mono m4 rear):

img0002gz.jpg

Excuse the shite pic, taken from the phone in low light.

Drivetrain will be pinched from Craig's spares - hero!

Need a rear hub for it though - anyone got an XC/similar going cheap?

Anyone got an old hardtail frame sitting around I might be able to have/buy cheap? Looking at 18-20", would like to have v-brake bosses if possible but anything will be considered.

James has a Marin sitting in his shed, cant remember details but sounds about what you're after.