Art

DrDoom

You don't need to sell art. Allow just one thing to be something other than a commodity. I think it's a really nice piece Hannah and i think it's very good to keep the artworks pure. I've only ever given away my paintings and artwork despite the odd request for a purchase.

I've always thought it nice to give art away as i don't really see it as a venture to make money. Sure you can work as an illustrator and illustrate for a brief, but that's different. If you've drawn something for yourself then either keep it or give it to someone who'll appreciate it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't need to sell art. Allow just one thing to be something other than a commodity. I think it's a really nice piece Hannah and i think it's very good to keep the artworks pure. I've only ever given away my paintings and artwork despite the odd request for a purchase.

I've always thought it nice to give art away as i don't really see it as a venture to make money. Sure you can work as an illustrator and illustrate for a brief, but that's different. If you've drawn something for yourself then either keep it or give it to someone who'll appreciate it.

I completely agree there! Have only given away my pictures/paintings obviously the only way to become a full time artist is to get into gallery's. But generally true talent will find its own way. And true fame wont come till your dead! :S

Nice work though!

Here's a really shit one i done the other day for a friend who wanted zebra with a difference took me about an hour inc waiting for paint to dry ^^ i think its shit but she loves it! *Shurg*

post-29824-0-98554600-1318858303_thumb.j

Edited by ch@v3tt3

The things you do for friends eh? As long as they're happy that's the main thing.

On a similar 'doing for friends' note, my friend via a multi-person Facebook message thread suggested when we next met that he was going to give me "a slap down with a cotton wool bud", as i'd annoyed him. A pitiful threat and obviously not at all funny so i made him this....i think this was the complete opposite of your scenario - i was quite pleased with the outcome, he did not like it at all.

post-7501-0-57298700-1318859431_thumb.jp

*Disclaimer: This piece bares no reflection on my genuine artwork.

To balance the stupid poster, here's a rushed scruffy rose that was recently drawn. Unfortunately this was for the purposes of work so it's not art at all.

post-7501-0-96955900-1318860219_thumb.jp

Edited by Matthew62

The things you do for friends eh? As long as they're happy that's the main thing.

On a similar 'doing for friends' note, my friend via a multi-person Facebook message thread suggested when we next met that he was going to give me "a slap down with a cotton wool bud", as i'd annoyed him. A pitiful threat and obviously not at all funny so i made him this....i think this was the complete opposite of your scenario - i was quite pleased with the outcome, he did not like it at all.

post-7501-0-57298700-1318859431_thumb.jp

*Disclaimer: This piece bares no reflection on my genuine artwork.

To balance the stupid poster, here's a rushed scruffy rose that was recently drawn. Unfortunately this was for the purposes of work so it's not art at all.

post-7501-0-96955900-1318860219_thumb.jp

LOL i get the sentiment with the slap down poster, quite quick witted ^^

Art always has a meaning, the artist will create something but it is always influenced by how they are feeling or there mood at the time. Like what made you decide to create that rose? Recently i painted some chickens??? The only reason i can think of is i was cooking a chicken roast that day, so i was obviously either stoned out my mind or happy about having chicken for dinner?

I can't remember the sentiment behind the rose specifically. Basically i have got to fill a large room with 6ft high illustrations and i had/have the idea of creating a whole environment you can get absorbed in that is almost over powering with things that would usually be small, being massively out of proportion. I suppose it's a form of fantasy environment that displaces you for a short time. There will be light bulbs hanging next to clouds and diamonds that will all be suspended above head height again creating a slightly unreal setting.

Also roses are pretty cool, they're a perfect balance between femininity and masculinity. They're ridiculously beautiful (which my shitty drawing certainly doesn't do justice to) yet they're pretty aggressive flowers. I like the contradiction they have.

I imagine you wouldn't have been able to control yourself if there was a bit of...you know what to go on top of that chicken.

Edited by Matthew62

Ahhhh that sounds like too much fun!! Will definatly be interesting to see you'll have to get some pictures up when you finish that! Must say sounds very warped. The only large painting i've done on a wall was room filled with thomas the tank engine, the fat conductor and a bit of scenery. Was quite proud of myself and it only took two weeks on and off. It was for the my nephew's room ^^

Edited by ch@v3tt3

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the new official 2012 Olympics posters. I haven't seen a bigger collection of shite since they revealed the logo for the games... I seriously question the intelligence of the people making these decisions.

I'm with you on this i thought the logo was an atrocity..

The identity was created by Wolff Olins, arguably the most prestigious design agency in London, perhaps Europe....

Doesn't make there work good, just thought i'd shed some light.

And maybe therein lies the problem... If that's the best the most prestigious design agency's in Europe can produce then Banksy help us.

3716518924_25ec868ed7.jpg

Within days of the logo being released the readers of the BBC website had produced designs 100 times better and more appropriate than the pile of crap we paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to those numpties for.

These posters are another example of how pathetic these modern artists/designers are.

And maybe therein lies the problem... If that's the best the most prestigious design agency's in Europe can produce then Banksy help us.

3716518924_25ec868ed7.jpg

Within days of the logo being released the readers of the BBC website had produced designs 100 times better and more appropriate than the pile of crap we paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to those numpties for.

These posters are another example of how pathetic these modern artists/designers are.

Well as someone who works as a graphic designer I can tell you your assumption is very wide of the mark. You hear it all the time as a designer "I can do that" which not only is insulting, but is also very narrow minded.

With the Olympic identity there has been so much shit flying around from people with opinions and no knowledge of the subject. I'm not hugely keen on the logo itself, but that isn't what wolf ollins created, it was the entire identity. They didn't get thousand of pounds for a logo, and whilst Martha Kennard from stoke might of produced a prettier design at home, I'd like to see her then be responsible for the entire campaign and then role it out via web, print, tv etc created thousands of pieces of artwork to suit bus posters, flyers, books, roller banners, stands, stadium seat designs, clothing, typefaces, apps, websites, web banners, large format posters, tv ads, van vinyl, Business cards, credit cards, tube posters, stationery and many more things whilst at all times ensuring that the work is in brand and consistent. That's what's being paid for. How would Martha cope then?

You can dislike the 'logo' all you want but to disregard this agency as pathetic is really ignorant. So much thoughts, planning and technical work goes in to good modern design so it pisses me off to continually here these thoughtless reactions to it. It's no different to whenever I go around galleries and always hear "I could of done that" but these people never do, do they?

Yeah there's more to it, but surely for anything 'design' based the visual needs to hold solid as much as the foundation for all the aspects you've just mentioned too; particularly for something as huge as the Olympics?

"Hi there, Wolf Ollins here. Yep, we've created all the logos, graphics, posters etc you wanted. What's that? Nope, it's a ghastly logo but that's irrelevant. Well it's not like anyone's going to have to LOOK at it or anything, is it? Oh, pretty much EVERYONE will have to? Meh, they'll get over it when they realise that all the backroom stuff is quite organised..."

With the Olympic identity there has been so much shit flying around from people with opinions and no knowledge of the subject.

But the whole point of design, especially for something like the Olympic 'identity', is that it is aimed at the public, the over riding majority of who have no interest or training on what designers think the identity should be and only what it should be in the eyes of the masses. The crap that Wolff Olins produced is so wide of the mark it's unreal and in this case it's quite clear that any one of thousands of normal Brits could've done a better job which would've been immediately accepted and liked by the vast majority.

I don't doubt that's there's a lot that goes on in the background with stuff like this but with the Olympics that abomination that is the 'identity' started things off badly and gave everyone a sour taste in their mouth from then on. The release of these appalling posters only helps to reinforce the belief that those organising the Olympics, together with the talentless drivel produced by many of our 'leading artists' is laughable. Did anyone see the clip of the guy who did the painting that kinda looks like a five level podium? I rest my case...

Were Wolff Olins also the geniuses behind the deformed monstrosities that are the Olympic mascots?

in this case it's quite clear that any one of thousands of normal Brits could've done a better job which would've been immediately accepted and liked by the vast majority.

No they couldn't. This is exactly my point. It might not be to peoples taste but no anyone could 'do it'.

I don't doubt that's there's a lot that goes on in the background with stuff like this but with the Olympics that abomination that is the 'identity' started things off badly and gave everyone a sour taste in their mouth from then on. The release of these appalling posters only helps to reinforce the belief that those organising the Olympics, together with the talentless drivel produced by many of our 'leading artists' is laughable. Did anyone see the clip of the guy who did the painting that kinda looks like a five level podium? I rest my case...

Were Wolff Olins also the geniuses behind the deformed monstrosities that are the Olympic mascots?

I've only just seen the new posters and i agree they're quite shit, but like the mascots Wolff Olins were not involved in this. I agree that the the people organising the whole thing may well be clueless and are happy to brand anything art without thinking how it relates to the games. It's these sorts of additions (posters/mascots etc) that dilute the message and brand that Ollins created so will give everyone/the nation a real mixed message and confused identity.

To see exact what Wolf Ollins were responsible, check this link : London 2012 Branding

No they couldn't. This is exactly my point. It might not be to peoples taste but no anyone could 'do it'.

With regards the logo, yes they could! I bet you on this forum alone there are probably 30+ people who if given the brief could come up with a design which would be far better received than the crap thing Wolff Olins did. Lets face it, it would be harder to do a worse job!

To see exact what Wolf Ollins were responsible, check this link : London 2012 Branding

I was expecting a wide range of innovative and clever designs but from what I can see on that page all they've done is plonked that awful logo on lots of things. So actually, maybe thousands of people could 'do it'.

ferguson400_250x308.jpg

1-0 To monkeyseemonkeydo

It's not a competition and I respect that Matthew's profession gives him a far more educated view on these things and I can only comment from a laymen's point of view. Having said that, with things like the Olympic identity, I hope that these world renowned design studios don't simply believe their own hype and get complacent. With the 2012 logo (and in fact these 'modern artists' and their posters) I get the feeling we're supposed to be in awe of their brilliance and are expect to be impressed with their genius because they tell us that what they've produced is simply awesome. I respectfully disagree!