Given Up Smoking?

terry26rims

It'll improve your bike if nothing else - think about how much cash you spend on cigarettes and what you could buy in bike terms if you didn't spend it... From those I know who smoke and stay active I reckon they're a lot better off than if they didn't smoke and weren't active. You'll probably see a bigger effect stopping smoking as you hit your 30's or 40's though there's an improvement regardless (Based on one friend of mine who stopped smoking a few years back).

Edited by psycholist

I'm thinking of giving up smoking, but not 100% commited to it. Has anyone given up and did it really improve your fitness?

Not only will it save your lungs, but later, you won't have to suffer any nasty diseases caused by smoking.

Also, as previouly posted, it will give you more economical space.

Any benefits smoking? Naah.

is anyone a former smoker? I enjoy a roll up now and again and again and again, i'm really not bothered about the illness side of things, except maybe losing time with nipper when i do go. But I WILL GO that is a fact. So unless there are going to be major advantages to my fitness in the short term i find it hard to want to give up even if know i NEED to. Cheers dave for the words of wisdom on the other side of the argument.

I enjoy a roll up now and again and again and again, i'm really not bothered about the illness side of things, except maybe losing time with nipper when i do go. But I WILL GO that is a fact.

Bit of a Jeremy Kyle moment but surely faced with the possibility that your son may be without a father if you carry on, is that not a good enough reason to quit?

I understand that. And not being with my son scares the life out of me, but getting lung or lip damage years from now doesn't, so call it ignorance, but i don't belive i'm going to die early from smoking, so as said, i want give up but i need to be 100% for it for it to work. Don't hate me, always lived for today never care about tomo. Things change as you get older though. Don't start!

Rightly or wrongly I see smoking as being kinda chavvy... It makes me cringe whenever I see a bunch oof people standing outside their workplace or whatever puffing away and even more so when I see a granny smoking. It does seem to be becoming more and more socially unacceptable, which is good, but I just don't get smoking I guess.

call it ignorance, but i don't belive i'm going to die early from smoking, so as said, i want give up but i need to be 100% for it for it to work.

That is a pretty ignorant view :P. Although of course you could be hit by a bus/train/stampeding donkey tomorrow, if you don't (and the odds are stacked in your favour) then surely not being out of breath from walking up a flight of stairs in the future is a good thing? In some ways I also see smoking as being fairly selfsh, both in the polluting everyone elses air but also when it comes to the amount smokers must cost the NHS from knowingly f**king up their bodies. It's a bit like alcoholics getting hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of care getting treatment and liver transplants for something they've done to themselves.

Oh yeah, and while I'm on the hate campaign it pisses me off sooooo much when I see people with little kids lighting up, even outside that just winds me up something chronic and just adds to the chaviness image. Get it sorted Mr Anscombe before the wee man comes!

My granddad has been smoking since he was 13 and he is now 75 and he is going strong still even gets a kick around now and again, so to be honest i think that smoking shortens your life is just an old wife's tale! If you gonna smoke, smoke some of the green stuff so you get a kick out of it. :P

Jason Statham smokes, therefore it is STILL cool, and always will be.

Jason Statham<<<<<<<<Steve McQueen. As said before, smoking's for chumps :P.

well january the 7th is holiday time and i'm planning on not smoking for the week so i can have a break from the norm, when i get back i'll just have to see how i feel. Family, my mother and my bike, gonna be the best dam holiday ever. DETOX me thinks.

Cool beans. Good luck and keep with it!

Damage from smoking is based on probability though. Not everyone who smokes will have their life cut short from smoking. Not everyone who doesn't wear a helmet cycling will die from bike related head injuries either, but most people on here see the benefit in wearing a helmet. With smoking there is a significantly increased probability that your health will be worse and your life will be shorter because of it. If you've ever tried to get life insurance or health insurance for example you will always be asked whether you smoke because it does affect the probability you'll claim from them and the probability the claim will be a big one.

The only downside of giving up is that cigarette smoke will smell absolutely disgusting to you after a few weeks and you'll also find that you're especially sensitive to the smell of smoke, so you can tell by smell whether people are smokers as you walk past them on the street whether they're smoking at the time or not. Most people who smoke have no idea of this but they and the clothes they wear and the car they drive usually stink of cigarette smoke to the degree that non-smokers find it unpleasant...

Smoking is highly addictive, so I can understand anyone who's having difficulty giving them up, but if you're under about 50 years old you can't really claim not to have been warned either about their addictiveness or the dangers before you started.