Are You On Drugs For Your Despression?

JT!

Poll  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on drugs for your despression?

• Yes.
    • No becuase i'm not depressed.
    • No but am depressed.
    • No, but i think i should be.
    • No becuase i feel asbolutly fanf**kingtastic all the time.
    • I prefer not to answer for whatever reason.

Was on and off various anti-depressants and beta blockers between the age of 15 and 22, decided to take myself off them and just trained myself mentally to try and control the ups and downs. I can see a downer coming, usually preceded by a level of hyper activity and over exaggerated happiness. I just didn't like the way the drugs made me feel.

Same. Did psychology A level and it was all well interesting around depression. Just like I feel negative about loads of things but I just dont get depressed about it and since i'm like this I dont really understand people who seem to collapse.

Its probobly more to do with what you feel negative about than the feeling itself.

I'd say it's when those negative feelings start to hinder you in some way that depression is starting.

Its probobly more to do with what you feel negative about than the feeling itself.

I'd say it's when those negative feelings start to hinder you in some way that depression is starting.

Yeah but the reason my insecurities etc dont hinder me is because I choose not to let them. It doesn't seem difficult to me.

I appreciate it may not be that easy for other people, I just dont understand why.

A bit of a narrowminded opinion on this; if I'm wrong, please tell me...

My understanding of depression is that people see the smallest sign as an illness and not a temporary condition - although I understand depression sometimes may not be a continuous thing.

I'd have thought doctors would supply drugs as a final solution - afterall, relying on drugs to be somewhat 'normal' is really bad. They become addictive and probably leave you in a bigger mess?

I don't know of anyone that is openly 'out' as depressed - and anyone who claims to be so I somewhat doubt. I'd imagine most people who are actually considered to be depressed, don't realise that they are.

I've never been able to understand depression; how do you establish the difference between being a bit down and being medically labelled as depressed? Who supplies the drugs to the patient; the GP? An occupational therapist?

I just dont get depressed about it and since i'm like this I dont really understand people who seem to collapse.

Agreed. I don't get all this 'the ups and downs' stuff - you mean life in general? At such a young age what could possibily require the use of drugs to 'stay on top' of it?

Fair enough if it was something tragic, a death in the family or something really hard hitting then yes, I can understand that. Although I can't see how someone would require drugs because they feel a bit down every now and then.

If you're taking drugs to cope now, what are you going to be like in your 20's/30's/40's with most probaby having bills to pay, lots of responsibilities, a family, a career? Life certainly doesn't get easier.

I hear you. I don't want to offend anyone but it does seem like the majority of people who are 'depressed' have no clinical or psychological problem at all yet the first thing the doctors do is get them on some drugs... I know there are real cases of proper depression which need treated but it seems similar to ADD- 'Your child's acting up (because you're a shit parent)? Yeah that'll be ADD- here's some Ritalin' as opposed to 'You're feeling a bit sad? You're depressed- here's some sweet ass drugs to f**k your head up a bit more'.

As I understand it, the purpose of anti-depressents is to lift somebodies mood up enough so they can begin engaging in the activities that, through their depression, they had stopped doing. A depressed individual often feels unable to eat/sleep properly, exercise and be social. Unfortunately, those things are most likely to help a depressed person not feel depressed, although they are not always the complete answer. Anti-depressents, apart from potential individuals who are fixed to depression regarding genetic reasons (which I find unlikely), are not a solution to depression. Rather they are a temporary support to allow you to engage in certain activities which reduce an individuals susceptibility to depression and begin the process of moving toward a healthy state. They can raise mood enough so somebody feels able to exercise and eat properly. Some have sedative properties so they help you sleep. Against the anti-depressent ideal however, when I saw the doctor a year or two ago, we discussed anti-depressents as I was considering trying them again. Looking at my record he said that I had pretty much tried all of those available to my condition. My experience has been that no anti-depressents helped me and in fact on one occasion they made me worse. That aside from several of them making me pretty much impotent at the time, which wasn't much fun.

I do think that fundamentally, depression arises because of an individuals relationship to their experience. This can be changed but unfortunately our culture doesn't really equip individuals with the right tools for changing their situation. Self awareness, introspection, contemplation and human psychology would be apt activities and studies for individuals from young ages in terms of avoiding depression or quickly dispelling it if it arose. We're mostly on our own in that regard though, unless we see a councillor or psychologist and even then, it's often a limited means of dealing with your situation. If an individual ended up simply being able to cope, never getting depressed, then they are pretty lucky but that was most likely, but not always, a blind development. I think it makes more sense for individuals to be better rounded because they are aware about what it is that makes humans beings, in general, mentally healthy. Human beings are pretty insane at the moment in my opinion and the ones that aren't depressed are most likely just adjusted to the general insanity through the cultural opiates. Of course, that's not something people like to hear >_<

I think anti-depressents should be used if they help somebody get back on course toward better mental health, but they certainly shouldn't be viewed as a fix for depression.

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 1

why has our country got so many depressed teens :S

dont we have like double the teenagers on anti depressent drug compared to france and the rest of the eu?

is it anything to do with our government having absolutely no interest in the young?

i dont have time to worry about stupid, just deal with it. sitting the moping about wont help.

and yea i used to be on drugs for it then realied i was just being a pussy to be honest, taking the easy option rather then just sorting myself out.

but i do understand more sever depression is a chemical imbalance in your body/brain so some people just simply cant help it.

but i think most teenagers can lol they just seem to think its call and tell all their mates theyre on drugs for it, like a fab. lol

Delicately put! I think that could be on a T-shirt in one form or another... :giggle:

..intentionally?

Anzo - without sounding a bit clichéd it's hard to understand some things like this without having gone through them first hand; people do, but it's hard. And as true as Ben's rants :- are, they're a bit over some people. :P, so I'll address some points specifically -

A bit of a narrowminded opinion on this; if I'm wrong, please tell me...

My understanding of depression is that people see the smallest sign as an illness and not a temporary condition - although I understand depression sometimes may not be a continuous thing.

No that's a hypochondriac! But yeah it's definitely something that can stop and start, and that can be started from 'nothing' and also stopped indefinitely.

I'd have thought doctors would supply drugs as a final solution - afterall, relying on drugs to be somewhat 'normal' is really bad. They become addictive and probably leave you in a bigger mess?

I can't speak from personal experience here, but I certainly believed that to be the case hence my drive to stay away from them.

I don't know of anyone that is openly 'out' as depressed - and anyone who claims to be so I somewhat doubt.

Again, there's a difference between showing 'depression' to selfishly gain possible love and attention, or whether it's due to them realising the love and attention they might gain could help them overcome their depression, or perhaps outwardly showing (but not bragging about) their depression as a form of acknowledging it in order to overcome it.

I'd imagine most people who are actually considered to be depressed, don't realise that they are.

Extremely true, but I'd play on the meaning of the word 'depressed' there. :P

Agreed. I don't get all this 'the ups and downs' stuff - you mean life in general? At such a young age what could possibily require the use of drugs to 'stay on top' of it?

Fair enough if it was something tragic, a death in the family or something really hard hitting then yes, I can understand that. Although I can't see how someone would require drugs because they feel a bit down every now and then.

Because there's a difference between having a row with your girlfriend, winning £50 on the lottery, or it raining than the feeling of an endless drone in your head and your life that stops you functioning as you'd truly love to do!

If you're taking drugs to cope now, what are you going to be like in your 20's/30's/40's with most probaby having bills to pay, lots of responsibilities, a family, a career? Life certainly doesn't get easier.

Exactly, however as Ben said they have proved themselves to work with some people in overcoming depression (or 'depression'). I'd consider them a resort in which they can help the user 'see the light' of real life in order to attain it naturally (do some work, see mates, go for a run or whatever), however if it doesn't go this far they could just become the only way in which someone achieves this liveable state. In the same way, then that some people might use drugs like cannabis to attain higher states and work towards them, whereas some people just take weed to mong out..

Plus, life might not get easier as time goes on - but the way you deal with things can. :)

I've never been able to understand depression; how do you establish the difference between being a bit down and being medically labelled as depressed? Who supplies the drugs to the patient; the GP? An occupational therapist?

That's a difficult question to answer exactly, but the criteria for diagnosing depression* are perhaps deeper than you realise, and include taking into account mood, behaviour, sleep patterns, eating, hopelessness, the feeling of not enjoying those things that you previously did etc, previous episodes and events that may be related. For examply, if a parent dies (particulaly suddenly/unexpectedly) then most people will feel extremely low for a number of weeks/months. But that's a normal response, and wouldn't necessarily be treated the same way.

*NB When done properly! Not all doctors will be as conscientious as this, particularly given time constraints in GP surgeries.

The way I see it:

People have a set mood point. Some days I'm happy, other days not as much, but I generally fluctuate around an average "feeling-pretty-content" state. If I have a shit day, I'll feel rubbish but then I'll revert back to normal in a day or so. Why do I flip back to normal though? I cannot explain this. What if my set mood point just dipped for one reason or another? Then I would be constantly low mood. If it was easy to increase our mood by ourselves, we would presumably all be wandering around in a state of absolute bliss, but these things are impossible to characterise and difficult to affect.

People have done trials looking at lottery winners. They test their mood immediately after winning and they're understandably happy. This lasts for a few weeks / months, but after about a year or so, most lottery winners revert back to their pre-win happiness levels. This just proves that you can't always affect your set mood point by changing your situation.

I don't know how many of you know about DSM but its a manual that psychologists use (not exclusively) to help diagnose patients. Just looked up the depression description. Do be careful rushing to judgements about how easy it may be to have these symptoms and not be depressed, it is a judgement thing aswell.

http://falseallegations.com/dsm-dprj.htm

• 1 year later...