Old School Rockman?

Mark W

We put the newer Pivotal/Gusset seats on it and it looked fine, but the Mini seat just has that old school kinda look that fits it really nicely. It's probably worth noting for those who care that you can't 'slam' the Pivotal/Gusset seats as much as you can the Onza mini.

Weighs 10.5kg by the way, to give you an idea...

Taht looks awesome. Did you experiment with a "proper" seat? Or go straight for the mini one?

looks like the only height you could have a "proper" seat would be without cutting it down which is a bit gay... the modded mini is better than nothing though...

looks a sweet build.

That mini seat's been hacked up loads so it sits super, super low - with a 'normal' seat on you can get it pretty much slammed without cutting the seat-tube down. It looks kinda weird 'til you see the inside of that mini seat - the post has been totally removed, the webbing around the post has been ground out and the seat itself slightly reshaped so it does sit super low on the post without a clamp or anything.

Is he keeping the refletors for extra cool points? :P

I'm feeling a bit 'meh' today and not capable of understanding what's going on around me, so expecting me to spot that Ali'd not taken the reflectors off the pedals was a bridge too far :P

Manufacturers Stated Geometry (to be confirmed) Wheelbase: 1060mm

Chainstay Length: 385mm

BB Rise: +10mm

Head Angle: 72 degrees

Centre of BB shell to top centre of head tube: 660mm

EDIT: Just did a quick measure up of that bike - that geo's pretty accurate!

It's not as bling as it could be though. The stem ruins it a bit.

Trying to keep it at a certain price point, so it can't be a flat-out amazing spec. The stem feels really nice with it too, makes it still feel kinda streety without being too poop for trials.

I have no idea why rockman thought it was a good idea to have such a long piece of seat tube sticking up above the frame. Overall the frame & build looks great, but the position of the seat area isn't very usable. I think most people will chop the tube so it looks like the first pic, but then your seat turns into a mud catcher because the angle is a little to far back.

If they make a second version of this frame please look at the Echo Pure for design changes.

* Useable seat area and the ability to pedal while seated (no towering post that sits above frame)

* Seat tube angle that is closer to 90deg.

IMG_1733.jpg

Nice work lads.

I'm really pleased with the way that this has turned out, if a little bummed that you got yours first. Anyway, I've got a pimping build waiting to go on mine, really getting excited about it now.

It certainly looks better with the seat slammed. I'm planning on running a proper post and seat as low as possible. We didn't want to go back too far with the geometry, the aim was to keep it modern for rear wheel control and gaps but short enough for bunnyhops and manuals. It's certainly not Zebdi, but then again, it's going to ride better than one

I'm interested in any constuctive criticism and will pass it on to the guys @ Rockman

If the top tube was fractionally higher or the seat tube angle was steepened, it'd solve that problem pretty easily with relatively little negative impact on the frame's performance. Seating always seems to be something manufacturers kinda overlook, as though it's more of an afterthought rather than using it as a proper area of a frame that needs to be thought out.

I really really like that bike. The orange frame is gorgeous! Im really considering one of these and not bother with a 24"! You can build up and old skool looking bike with all the modern advantages (ie: four bolt mounts, geo, wider brake spacing.) is there a catch to this bike? It seems too good to be real!!!!!!!