Does Watching Trials Videos Improve Your Riding?

Smoby

Does watching Trials Videos improve your riding?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Does watching Trials Videos improve your riding?

• Yes
    • No
    • It Helps
    • Not to sure...

Sure it does! It's the only way I learned trials!

Yeah man, out of all 21 votes, not one is a solid "No", it must to be honest, it obviously isn't going to make you worse watching videos.

But like Ben said, its how you watch it, and what your watching.

Edited by Smoby

Sure it does! It's the only way I learned trials!

+1 I ride with Alex (Alex-trials-boy, or something like that) But lets just say he isnt the best trials rider around. So I'm really learning from videos as im better than him, No offence to him or anything.

Edited by Laurence--Trials

To a certain extent yes, but you will become much better if you ride with people who are better than you.

Yeah, suppose encouragement and tips from someone better will always be a positive, but I guess for some people, they just cant get the bottle to do something, so just cant see the point in trying because the feel they cant succeed, and yeah, I know, that's no good, ride with positive thoughts, but as I say, some people cant help it.

I find I improve fastest if i'm riding with someone who's of a similar ability to me, then you get some rivalry going on. :P

Yeah, i remember when me and Sam F was at same level, and Chris Ward used to do something that would be challenging for me and Sam, and we'd race to do it first.

helps a huge amount i reckon....ideas, motivation, some help with technique (good to know how a move should look), something to aim for...the list goes on

still waiting to ride with other people, january weather in edinburgh seems to put off a few! can imagine how much help that would be though

I find I improve fastest if i'm riding with someone who's of a similar ability to me, then you get some rivalry going on. :P

I find this too. With someone of similar ability you can compete and push each other. If I'm riding with people better than me I tend to sit round and watch more than actually ride myself.

Not really, you could sit Joe Bloggs in front of a year's worth of Gilles videos and he would still be no better at trials than beforehand, however the combination of watching and practicing surely must be faster for learning than just practicing.

As said above though, I think seeing people ride in the flesh is most helpful.

There is no substitute for riding to get better, however I think that vids have their place especially You tube and Vimeo stuff and stuff posted on here.

When I started back riding trials after years away from the scene completely, I had no-one to ride with that was any good, so started looking for vids on you tube and then found trials forum.

Let me tell you in the years before the internet was so accessable, it was way harder to learn trials, very few vids, very few riders compared to now. I hadn't even heard of rear wheel side hops and as for static up to fronts well never would have dreamed it was possible.

I found trials forum, started watching vids and could not believe what was going down in trials and how much it had progressed.

Not meaning to be an old fart or anything but alot of (mostly younger) people riding trials today may not realise how much help internet vids are to them without realiseing it. I have learnt more in the short time I have been back riding trials than all the years I rode 'Trials' before.

Alot of the basic ideas for how to do stuff I learnt from vids but then the guys I ride with are amazing at correcting the f**k ups I make and showing me how to do stuff that I have no clue how to do.(While I'm ranting I may as well say thanks Dudes)

Think about it this way, how do you start learning how to sidehop up a 24"+ wall having never having even seen how to do it before?

Thats my thoughts on the matter.

Edited by Matt Vandart

I think there is something to be said for watching video's but it's not going to help you nail a move, maybe just give you inspiration and confidence!

Does anybody else ever feel that if they ride solidly for lets say a month, then don't ride for a week, you seem to improve in the week you weren't riding?

I think there is something to be said for watching video's but it's not going to help you nail a move, maybe just give you inspiration and confidence!

Does anybody else ever feel that if they ride solidly for lets say a month, then don't ride for a week, you seem to improve in the week you weren't riding?

Yeah. I used to find this after i got back from a week away at college. The bike seemed so much easier to control for some reason.

Imagine if you had never seen a vid of trials ? all you would know how to do and whats possable is what you have seen everyone you ride with.

It deffo helps :giggle:

But if you sit eating burgers and watching vids and not riding or trying the stuff you see on the vids you wont get good! see it try it

Edited by matt_urban

You only improves you riding RIDING...

Obviously watch videos helps a lot and can see some movements that can be replicate in your training...

For sure, videos can be motivating to....

But don't improves your riding directly.

Edited by 315r

I would say videos do improve your riding directly through helping you to visualise what you need to do. This is part of the reason you can leave your bike for a week and come back better (The other part of this is that you don't get fitter while riding, you get fitter once your body has time to repair the muscle damage that training causes to bring the muscles to a higher spec than they were before you trained).

Time spent thinking about how to do certain moves while not on the bike makes you think through where your limbs should be and how the timing should work, so that the next time you try it your body has already been programmed to perform correctly (Whether it can or not depends on your flexibility, strength and understanding of what you're trying to do in the first place of course). The more time you spend riding the better you'll be able to simulate trying new moves in your head.