Coustellier Pads

Alex Dark

What's the difference between the heatsink coust pads and the "real" coust pads?

According to Steve at Heatsink bikes, it's exactly the same compound. But from what I've read I can't see how that can be the case unless people are suffering greatly from something similar to the placebo effect. :ermm:

Michael Coustellier?! I'm getting Andrei to get me some when the international comp season starts. Apart from that i don't think anywhere else sells them.

Ah, plan...may justbite the bullet and buy some soon :)

Aye you can get them straight from him, he posts them from france. Bit pricey but not insane, something like £23 posted. Most decent pads are £18 from tarty I think. :P

Hm, thats not too bad...worth it considering the epic performance.

What's the difference between the heatsink coust pads and the "real" coust pads?

wayyyyy better performance. Pretty much the best Magura pads I've ever used.

Like 100% better

He speaks truth :rolleyes:

According to Steve at Heatsink bikes, it's exactly the same compound. But from what I've read I can't see how that can be the case unless people are suffering greatly from something similar to the placebo effect. :ermm:

Nope, not at all...the pictures show that :)

Photos of pad material don't mean much - that first photo's white balance is totally off so it'll make them look totally different. Similarly, shape doesn't mean much either.

For what it's worth, I used to run some 'real' Coust pads and they were pretty good, but definitely not the best brake pads I've used. Even one of the Cousts doesn't run 'em any more :P They seem to have attained this kind of mythical status that's along the lines of the Echo white-sidewall-line tyres, and original Zoo pads...

But they wear down like hell....and i've seen 3 bikes where this has happened...hence my reluctance to buy

I've rode the shit out of mine the last couple of weeks and there's hardly any wear at all. My brake is either locked or not with these pads. I don't use my rear brake to slow down. I found the small coust pads wore down really quick and got rounded easily too.

What kind of grinds were the people you saw pads wear down using? (That sounds so wrong)

If they're not set up properly square, with the CNC'd backings it'll wear the pads super fast because they don't flex, so you just wear a smaller part of the pad. Not ideal... If they're set up square though, you should find they last alright.

I was also weary about the LGMs, but having tried a pair or two and then getting some myself i must admit that NOTHING comes close. seriously brilliant pads, and i have been around long enough to have tried a good number of different pads on various set ups.

my grind was pretty much dead on my rear rim but the pads still held amazingly. now i have a fresh grind, they work with a bit of noise, but my TNN booster set up probably reduces that.

LGMS rock my world.

Even one of the Cousts doesn't run 'em any more

WHICH ONE?

But they wear down like hell....and i've seen 3 bikes where this has happened...hence my reluctance to buy

I don't know how you stetted them then. I have a friend who uses them, and he has got his pair since one year now, he has 3 or 4 mm of material left... (I reckon you were talking about Coust! pads?)

Wow, the heatsink coust pads are the best pads I've ever used. Didn't know there was a difference between the Heatsink and the "real". Might have to give the "og" ones a shot.

Heatsinkbikes.com use only the official Coustellier brake pad compound direct from the Coustellier family, and have over 5 years of experience cutting this compound to fit our various Vee and Magura backings.

To address all these allegations of Michel Coustellier somehow holding back a superior compound and supplying a sub-standard one to shops like Heatsinkbikes.com, as I said in previous threads, it's quite an allegation to make against such a key player in the Trials world! Feel free to put this accusation direct to Michel via email to hear what he says :)

I'm sure if you buy any Coustellier pads from Heatsinkbikes.com they'll definately meet your expectations for performance!

All the best,

Steve

I'm sure if you buy any Coustellier pads from Heatsinkbikes.com they'll definately meet your expectations for performance!

No disrepect steve but i've bought coust pads from yourself and a fair few sets now from michel coustellier and ive got to say that michel coust pads are significantly much better.

Just my opinion.

(Y)

Edited by Fwad

• 8 months later...

Just searched this topic, sorry for the bump up. But i really badly want some of these 'real/original' Coust pads, and it doesn't say on the topic where i can get them.

Does anyone actually know where i can get a set?

Thankyou.

Well, if steve said they're the same compound from Micheal Coust himself, then it's the same. Being that Heatsink is a very reputable dealer, I take that as truth. And until somebody posts up an eMail from Michael Coust saying otherwise (as Steve has said anybody can freely inquire), I think people should stop speculating on things they don't know are true. Or, take "real" coust pads and the Heatsink ones to a lab and prove they're different. If Adam from Tarty said something similar, everybody would listen....I dunno where this kinda animosity/skepticism comes from, but it's exactly how information gets twisted and the wrong information is posted all over the place.

• Like 2

Well, if steve said they're the same compound from Micheal Coust himself, then it's the same. Being that Heatsink is a very reputable dealer, I take that as truth. And until somebody posts up an eMail from Michael Coust saying otherwise (as Steve has said anybody can freely inquire), I think people should stop speculating on things they don't know are true. Or, take "real" coust pads and the Heatsink ones to a lab and prove they're different. If Adam from Tarty said something similar, everybody would listen....I dunno where this kinda animosity/skepticism comes from, but it's exactly how information gets twisted and the wrong information is posted all over the place.

I very much like the Heatsink coust pads, and Steve at heatsink himself.... but the pads are clearly different compounds. You only have to use some "real " coust pads to realise!

I very much like the Heatsink coust pads, and Steve at heatsink himself.... but the pads are clearly different compounds. You only have to use some "real " coust pads to realise!

About 2 years ago, I ran "real" coust pads on my inspired, and got some "coustsinks" in a trade that I put on there when those ran out. I didn't notice a difference two years ago, and have some cousts on my Karbon now, no idea if they're "real" or sinks, but they ride exactly the same. I think all this nonsense is proponents of either shitty brake set-ups or the placebo effect. I mean, people are asking how to grind a f**king wheel. If half these people can't figure out how to grind a wheel, I have little confidence in anything they have to say especially as far as a pad compound goes.

• Like 1

WHICH ONE?

I don't know how you stetted them then. I have a friend who uses them, and he has got his pair since one year now, he has 3 or 4 mm of material left... (I reckon you were talking about Coust! pads?)

Gilles uses the Yellow Crocopads...

Only Giaco uses Coustellier... I have a pic from Le Tour de Sçay and her pads are chamfrened...

post-14332-0-50441500-1289140002_thumb.p