Tapping?

Mikey Tomo

Just going straight to rear without tap can be good for tech natural where its a bumpy downhill run-up to a overhung rock, takes some of the risk out as timing doesn't have to be bang on. Also good if theres a dip infront of the rock you wanna get up, can just air over it without worrying where your front wheel is.

right well basicly an actual tap is more a stock move and just to backwheel is more mod simply because there is less bike there sorta thing but if your on stock i find it miiiles easier to tap things when you get the tap right the rest is easy only thing is its way harder is its got a lip on

...and Ireland, though over here tapping is probably used more often to mean asking people for something, usually money.

As I understand it there's an option between backwheeling and tapping where you touch the front wheel down on the top or the corner of what you're hopping up before continuing the hop to back wheel. This only really works for stuff low enough to back wheel straight on to, but it takes a little less energy and precision. Taps AFAIK are where the front wheel hits the vertical part of the edge of what you're hopping onto... and I definitely can't do them :(...

The tap gives you boost that shoots bike higher. You go higher with taps, takes les energy, but requires more skill. The higher you go the lower the tap, more stress goes through your body and the bike especialy fork ,front wheel and a headset. Taps to back are fun, but never nailed the front ones, too afraid I will kill myself! It is used in stocks but people started doing it on mods not long ago. Looks quite ugly! But it works...

Getting kennard to demonstrate tapping on a sub9kg bike is funny :giggle:

I can, just not very well, I have a fear of breaking all my teeth and as such I never hit the wall low enough. I need to practise more; I have tapped about 42-45" before (2nd highest whitewall in brum if you know it).

I can backwheel almost as high as I can tap :$

Edited by forteh

I Learnt tapping at the beau 09 ride on my mod. But still cannot back wheel anything, only to bash ¬_¬.

If you do tap too low, be prepared for your ninja skills to kick in, or recive a broken face, is i found out on the first day of learning them,(I saved myself though) in front of a load of trials bikes :S.

It is a good point to aim your wheel, so even if you don't tap the wall, your back wheel is more focused on the edge.

That's generally what I do (Mod, so tapping is a lot harder than on a stock), rarely does my front wheel ever hit, but I just ensure I'm not touching the front brake so if it does hit, I make the most of the extra boost.

If you do tap too low, be prepared for your ninja skills to kick in, or recive a broken face, is i found out on the first day of learning them,(I saved myself though) in front of a load of trials bikes :S.

Lucky there were no riders then, else that might've been embarrassing.

It is used in stocks but people started doing it on mods not long ago.

I was doing them on mods 6 years ago :P

They both have their different uses as explained earlier. Personally though, I f**king love the feeling of taps. Just the 'whoosh' and up you go sorta feeling is amazing. Having said that, doing big half-pedal backwheels is also pretty fun just 'cos it's a pure power move and feels nice when you get them done. Taps do feel awesome though...