How To Over Come Fear ?

gu trials

Not really... in terms of facts and stats yea there safe.

But I wouldn't call being scared of being hurtled at 60mph upside down irrational...

Same with the fear of heights.... its a survival thing.

Say your walking along a really high (100m) ledge and the wind is blowing, the last thing you need is to get scared and have your legs go all wobbly.

Look your going to die...that is the only one sure thing that life has

I choose- have fun, enjoy life and accept this!

There is 1 in 300 million chance of dying in a roller coaster accident. You have better chance of dying from heart disease, cancer, or even crossing the street.

^^^EDIT - This fact was pulled off the internet, which make is likely to be wrong....but still sums up the chances.

Serious bit of advice.

Get to the front of the coaster and watch the track in front of you as you go round. You will be leading with you head like a fighter pilot and it feel a bit more natural than flat out terror.

Edited by philth

There is 1 in 300 million chance of dying in a roller coaster accident. You have better chance of dying from heart disease, cancer, or even crossing the street.

No your not hearing what I'm saying.... yea statistically its safe... BUT that doesn't make the fear irrational... in my eyes anyway.

No your not hearing what I'm saying.... yea statistically its safe... BUT that doesn't make the fear irrational... in my eyes anyway.

The point of an irrational fear is that it's irrational... If something's safe but you're scared of it that's irrational. Doesn't mean you're not still going to be scared but you're scared for no real reason. It's like people who are scared of buttons (for clothes)... now that really is irrational but in a way it's not far off having a fear of coming to harm on a rollercoaster.

Depends if its a fear or if you just generally don't fancy it.

To me, a fear of rollercoasters would mean not being able to look at them or go anywhere near them.

I'd go for a big amusement park place, like Alton Towers, Thorpe Park etc, as the seats on their rollercoasters strap you down in just about every which way direction possible. Air being the best example, it's not exactly scary because your pretty much bolted in, which no chance of falling out.

You go on something like the Pepsi Max you'll find it much scarier because of the diddy little carts they put you in.

Depends if its a fear or if you just generally don't fancy it.

To me, a fear of rollercoasters would mean not being able to look at them or go anywhere near them.

I'd go for a big amusement park place, like Alton Towers, Thorpe Park etc, as the seats on their rollercoasters strap you down in just about every which way direction possible. Air being the best example, it's not exactly scary because your pretty much bolted in, which no chance of falling out.

You go on something like the Pepsi Max you'll find it much scarier because of the diddy little carts they put you in.

You speak truth!

My advice is get on the biggest scariest rollercoaster in the whole park first! You'll be that buzzing of adrenaline afterwards all your fears will go bye bye.

The best rollercoaster ive ever been on is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_(roller_coaster) I went to NY, San Francisco, Vegas last year and did like 20+ coasters in the trip :)

Went all the way there to go on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingda_Ka (tallest/fastest in world) but it was closed due to thunder storms. It spends more time closed than open :(

That coaster looks badass!

Where is it??

Thats Magnum force mother f**ker!

Best rollercoaster ever!

Flamingo land is amazing, although most of the flamingo's are dead.

Its also 15mins away from dalby forrest and the same from my holiday home, yer I have nice summers!

Edited by davey1991

so my best bet is to just go on them and hope for the best or just avoid them all together.

how do you people face up to your fears apart from man up,

although girls have fears aswell so i dont see how they can man up :P

That's why girls will never be as good as boys... they're unable to man up.

In all seriousness, just try and force yourself to go on it straight away - I guarantee you'll end up all hyped up and on the next one as quick as you can be. I used to be mega scared of rides, then I jumped on one at Thorpe Park and loved it. I didn't go on the biggest one there though, where you get thrown stupidly high on the rollercoaster - that was my limit!!

I used to be an invertiphobiac, fear of going upside down. Its not as rediculous as fear of buttons but still pretty rediculous. Was so bad I couldn't even make myself do a handstand or anything. No idea why I was like that but yeah...

I never used to go on rollercoasters purley for that basis as I was scared of going upside down. Got taken on a trip to thorpe park and was forced onto all the rides (Collossus was my first ever roller coaster) and was white as a sheet of paper when I got off, but I didn't think twice about getting on the other coasters for the rest of the day.

If you're really struggling, get someone to force you onto one. Once you're strapped in, theres sod all you can do about it, you're just along for the ride.

That Kindda Ka looks unbelievable

Theme park rides are weird, the thought of them is pretty scary in theory but the safety levels are huge. The rush for me on rides is hoping that it doesn't break, not the high speeds and turns just the thought I could fallout scares the sh*t out of me yet its still great fun (except on oblivion which actually feels like I am going to die everytime I go on it when it drops and the weight of the car drags you in to a hole in the floor)

I can honestly only repeat what others have said.

I was in your situation, used to think that nothing could make me go on a rollercoaster, but then eventually i 'manned up' and went on one. It was Nemesis at Alton Towers.

After the initial anxiousness while queueing, I was fine, the adrenaline will just take over and the fear will go out the window.

Now I LOVE rollercoasters!

Fear of the unknown, is probably the greatest and most intriguing human fear on many different levels, because it has helped us shape the everyday things in our world that we take for granted.

Edited by Rusevelt

That's why girls will never be as good as boys... they're unable to man up.

In all seriousness, just try and force yourself to go on it straight away - I guarantee you'll end up all hyped up and on the next one as quick as you can be. I used to be mega scared of rides, then I jumped on one at Thorpe Park and loved it. I didn't go on the biggest one there though, where you get thrown stupidly high on the rollercoaster - that was my limit!!

As i said in the first reply. but yer force yourself or get someone to force you.

spanner1.jpg

That made my night! XD

its not the roller coaster itself im bothered about, its being thrown around in the air in an open seat, im fine with flying as its all enclosed

Again the simple facts of a roller-coaster are; the ride is designed to play on your fear but more so it's design to be safe.

Choose your ride wisely, look at the harness styles...breath in and get the harness that extra click tighter when you get on the ride.

If there was an easy solution to getting over a fear, the world would be a very different place.

Just think,

Yeah you are going to be scared but just for less than 1 minute on the ride, but the sense of achievement at the end, especially if you get strait back on and have another shot, will be with you for a lot longer than the ride.

its not the roller coaster itself im bothered about, its being thrown around in the air in an open seat, im fine with flying as its all enclosed

True, but in a plane if you hit turbulence you've got this big cylinder full of people in which to fall around, on a rollercoaster you're tightly strapped in with little room to move, so I guess you're more secure on the coaster really

Get them to force you on, When I was younger I used to get nerves when I hadn't been on one in a while, but you come off feeling invincible and ready for anything :lol: