Bring Back Old Skool

i was thinking about this just the other day! I started on a barracuda getto frame with fsa cranks n that. Then went onto handsome dogg, anyone remember those? Then zebedi, and finally a levelboss, then i quit. I'm getting back into it now, and have built up an old carrera for trials. It makes you think when trials was riding a MOUNTAIN BIKE over things. You can do alot more on the newer frames and i can't wait to get one with specific geometry. But they are getting like pogo sticks with wheels lol. I remember when it took me 2 years just to hop on the back wheel.

Old skool rider here, back from the dead! Haha. Bout 5 years since I last rode trials 'full time'.

Got my old Giant Hawyes frame back into shape with my dream spec from when I was a wee nipper:

Fatty Rs

Hope Mono hubs on D521 Ceramic rear, F519 front (need to find a Comp 24 and Hot S tyre as mine are now perished)

HS33 rear, Avid v front. Spanish Fly pads make these the best brakes I've ever used, even over grinds and discs!

Raceface Turbines with Filthy 'Ard Guard (Martyn Hawyes sig model, also spare one still in the packaging :D)

8spd with suicide shift friction thumbie on the inside of the seatstay

Club Roost I-Beam stem and 26in Azonic SWs..... in BRONZE!!!!! BNIB from AllTerrain Cycles clearout for a fiver!

Anyways, I nearly had a little cry when it was all together and looking lovely. First ride out brough memories of good times gushing back.... unitl the bb fell out of the frame 10mins later. Cock.

So, on the look out for another Hawysey or old skool lovely frame now. Would be well up for an old skool ride once I've learnt how to ride it again

Smithy

Old skool rider here, back from the dead! Haha. Bout 5 years since I last rode trials 'full time'.

Got my old Giant Hawyes frame back into shape with my dream spec from when I was a wee nipper:

Fatty Rs

Hope Mono hubs on D521 Ceramic rear, F519 front (need to find a Comp 24 and Hot S tyre as mine are now perished)

HS33 rear, Avid v front. Spanish Fly pads make these the best brakes I've ever used, even over grinds and discs!

Raceface Turbines with Filthy 'Ard Guard (Martyn Hawyes sig model, also spare one still in the packaging biggrin.gif)

Club Roost I-Beam stem and 26in Azonic SWs..... in BRONZE!!!!! BNIB from AllTerrain Cycles clearout for a fiver!

Anyways, I nearly had a little cry when it was all together and looking lovely. First ride out brough memories of good times gushing back.... unitl the bb fell out of the frame 10mins later. Cock.

So, on the look out for another Hawysey or old skool lovely frame now. Would be well up for an old skool ride once I've learnt how to ride it again

Smithy

Think my Heavy Tools will be up for sale in a few weeks as got a zona getting sorted that all my stuffs gonna get swapped over to

Fatty Rs

Raceface Turbines with Filthy 'Ard Guard (Martyn Hawyes sig model, also spare one still in the packaging :D)

Smithy

smithy sorry to here that . i can get hold of a bb that screws on to its self so you can still use that frame.

i have just been riding my ds1 which i finished building last week. i can still do most stuff that i do on my pitbull but its a lot more harder work. :sick:

Hey yet another old school rider here.

I started riding trials around 9-10 years ago, on a GT Karakoram with Marzocchi Z1 Bam's, after seeing some people ride in my local town center. Shortly after a got bought an Azonic Ds1 frame which i up graded with my first ever yellow maguras, D521's and Azonic bars this frame lasted me for around4 years before i cracked the top tube and disc mount. I then bought a Megamo Radicle frame at bike live around 2003/4??? I still ride this frame now, as i dont ride anywhere near as much as i did. One things for sure getting into Trials was one of the best decisions i made back then and my love for the sport still remains strong. Currently im looking to buy the Echo controll '09 frame, as i want to get into riding properly again.

Andrew

Hey yet another old school rider here.

I started riding trials around 9-10 years ago, on a GT Karakoram with Marzocchi Z1 Bam's, after seeing some people ride in my local town center. Shortly after a got bought an Azonic Ds1 frame which i up graded with my first ever yellow maguras, D521's and Azonic bars this frame lasted me for around4 years before i cracked the top tube and disc mount. I then bought a Megamo Radicle frame at bike live around 2003/4??? I still ride this frame now, as i dont ride anywhere near as much as i did. One things for sure getting into Trials was one of the best decisions i made back then and my love for the sport still remains strong. Currently im looking to buy the Echo controll '09 frame, as i want to get into riding properly again.

Andrew

dude if you sell the megamo can i have first dibs please sir.?

I dont think im going to be selling it to be honest...Its a wee bit battered and I'll probably use it as a ornament wen i get a new frame :D

just cleaning out some old stuff and found an original copy of evolve classic lenosky and leech on vhs does any body still use a video player ? will have to look into getting it converted into dvd !

Remeber Revolution? came out the yeart before i think, back wen it all went rail, and speed trials crazy :blink:

Edited by Andy (Megamo)

Get it smoothed out properly, sleeve fitted and tacked then have new threads cut in.

yet again i broke my bloody bike again....

when i started riding 12 years ago yes 12,,,,,,i dont rember really braking stuff even after 2years when i was a lot better then when i started stuff did not brake. since the change of frames drilled rim and so on things just dont last. now i know that the goal posteds of the sport have moved i.e going bigger with gaps and so on but i am going back old skool. i have just got a old azonic ds1 frame, built a mavic 521 on a xt hub last night , fsa cranks .

i might just be getting old but when i was at the demos (2years ago) my riders bikes were all ways in need of help . does any one eles rember old days i.e 1999 -2000's ? does any body still ride a old skool bike?

i have said my bit now so i am off.......

many thanks chez

does onza t bird count?

Edited by trials owns

One things for sure getting into Trials was one of the best decisions i made back then and my love for the sport still remains strong. Currently im looking to buy the Echo controll '09 frame, as i want to get into riding properly again.

Andrew

Nicely put man. Them control 09s ride really nice too.

I enjoyed reading about all these old skool setups!

i used to ride a 14" GT aggressor frame with mavic d521's, shimanao deore hubs, and 9 gears. i even had a DMR chainstay protector! (i even used to compete on this) I finally managed to upgrade to a DDG camo paint frame (what was i thinking?)

im happy that manufacturers have moved it all on though, gone are the days of drilling holes in your brand new rims!

mark.

I enjoyed reading about all these old skool setups!

i used to ride a 14" GT aggressor frame with mavic d521's, shimanao deore hubs, and 9 gears. i even had a DMR chainstay protector! (i even used to compete on this) I finally managed to upgrade to a DDG camo paint frame (what was i thinking?)

im happy that manufacturers have moved it all on though, gone are the days of drilling holes in your brand new rims!

mark.

9 gears??!! Shimano had only just got there heads round 8 speed cassettes when I was riding!

Came across these earlier in my dads garage whilst looking for my old Blue Mountain Magura's to steal the koolstop pads out of!

post-24247-127534132447_thumb.jpg

My first bash made by cutting the teeth off a middle chainring to go on my Shimano Altus C10 crankset and 2 that my dads mate machined for me out of stainless to go on my 4 arm STX-RC cranks as you couldn't even buy 5 arm bashrings at the time. Had one to run smallest chainring and one to run middle as well in the style of Mr Hans "No Way" Rey!

• 4 months later...

yet again i broke my bloody bike again....

when i started riding 12 years ago yes 12,,,,,,i dont rember really braking stuff even after 2years when i was a lot better then when i started stuff did not brake. since the change of frames drilled rim and so on things just dont last. now i know that the goal posteds of the sport have moved i.e going bigger with gaps and so on but i am going back old skool. i have just got a old azonic ds1 frame, built a mavic 521 on a xt hub last night , fsa cranks .

i might just be getting old but when i was at the demos (2years ago) my riders bikes were all ways in need of help . does any one eles rember old days i.e 1999 -2000's ? does any body still ride a old skool bike?

i have said my bit now so i am off.......

many thanks chez

YES! untill recently i was riding an azonic ds-1, 521's fsa sidewinders (anyone remember those cheap + cheary things?!) maggy racelines from the 99 era! just got an onza frame off my cousin and swapped a few bits over now though. My old ds-1 frame is for sale on ebay now

Edited by superlight

I can completely understand what everyone is saying on here, I long for the days when people used to go out and ride for fun, I hate to watch modern videos of kids going masive with no form of smile on there face. I moved with the times until about a year ago bike wise and managed to find an old leeson, and now a planet x zebdi and love it, I find it so much more fun and satisfying than all the modern stuff, its so disciplined now a days about everything. I would love to see some fun and spirit back in things not complete seriousness. I'm assuming some of you have seen it but I remeber a free vhs i got with mbuk years ago with ashton and hawyes out in france just messing around on some street having a real relaxed good time, my favourite thing to watch, well used to be, VHS don't last forever :(

and nearly forgot, my first ride, orange planet x jackflash/ knifen forks, d521's, a filthy are guard :) azonic bars were a must. and then my second which I have regretted every day since i sold it about 9 years ago my pashley 26mhz with hope ti hubs, rs7's hmmmmmmmmm

I can completely understand what everyone is saying on here, I long for the days when people used to go out and ride for fun, I hate to watch modern videos of kids going masive with no form of smile on there face. I moved with the times until about a year ago bike wise and managed to find an old leeson, and now a planet x zebdi and love it, I find it so much more fun and satisfying than all the modern stuff, its so disciplined now a days about everything. I would love to see some fun and spirit back in things not complete seriousness. I'm assuming some of you have seen it but I remeber a free vhs i got with mbuk years ago with ashton and hawyes out in france just messing around on some street having a real relaxed good time, my favourite thing to watch, well used to be, VHS don't last forever :(

and nearly forgot, my first ride, orange planet x jackflash/ knifen forks, d521's, a filthy are guard :) azonic bars were a must. and then my second which I have regretted every day since i sold it about 9 years ago my pashley 26mhz with hope ti hubs, rs7's hmmmmmmmmm

This is real.

Its f**kin bananas, it really really f**ks me off.

Having said that most of my mates I ride with are in it for the laughs.

Every new member should be made to watch tricks and stunts and Bi-king and before they get validated should have to pass an exam to be sure they did watch it.

I blame all the stoopid french vids.

Edited by Matt Vandart

This is real.

Its f**kin bananas, it really really f**ks me off.

Having said that most of my mates I ride with are in it for the laughs.

Every new member should be made to watch tricks and stunts and Bi-king and before they get validated should have to pass an exam to be sure they did watch it.

I blame all the stoopid french vids.

Whoa whoa don't forget Chainspotting!!

I bet this t-shirt is rare?

DSCF1117-1.jpg

I have one in blue :D

I miss my old school bike. An original 14" Orange Zero with Cannondale P-Bone forks. D521 rims and a Chris King rear hub, controlled with Mk1 HS33's and FSA Powerpro cranks :rolleyes:

As nice as the current Zoo! is to trial, its never felt as fun as the old Orange. That thing would do it all, trials, street, flatland, XC, the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go one better than that, Dirt with Jason McRoy!

How did I miss this thread first time round?! It was 'dirt' that got me started - watching Scott Domett hoping over those rocks blew me away, I just had to get into trials. Got started properly in 96, first comp early in '97. Converted my Marin 15" to trials - ok so I took one ring off - early montys even had a 2 ring option. Had v-brakes at first (when these first came out) then got maguras - which to be honest were no better. Took so long to learn things back then. Always went mad when I ever saw anyone else hoping around on the street, which was an incredibly rare occurence. In the four years I was in Birmingham (96-00) I never saw another trials rider except my mate who I'd go rinding with. But, I like the modern bikes and moves, imagine going back with the skills of, say, Belaey to say '96, no one would believe you were human! Some say the French changed things but they were at it from early on too, one of my inspirational videos was of Marc Vinco vs Thierry Girard at the omni sport palais in Bercy, Paris circa 95-96 on Eurosport. I must have watched this one filmed section over a hundred times (other sections from the same trial can be found on youtube) absolutely mesmerised by it, there's something about trials that just fits my brain - I can't explain it. Over 14 years later I'm still just as hypnotised by it. The only thing I've disliked over the years is all the friends I've made that I have lost as they gave up and lost contact - I'd love to know how some of these guys are doing now (would facebook buy generally only remember first names).

Old Skool Tim.