Inventions That Need To Be Made

sayshell

The only part that can prevent damage by moving is brake levers, because by sliding out of position the bar takes the impact for it. It really annoys me, every time I do a spin my stem shifts a tiny bit unless I do the pinch bolts up really tight which is what I do do, but thats annoying because the stem still "creeps" very slowly so like every 5 days I need to set it straight again, and I hate riding with allen keys. I just don't like the idea of anything on a bike staying in place only by friction because friction is sketchy. Unless its low torque like brake levers.

This is definately wrong, i massively twisted the boxxers on my downhill bike in a pretty slow crash because i run a direct mount stem, which is in effect the same as your splined steerer idea. The twisting force of bars if the wheel doesn't want to go that way is pretty strong. I think you must just have a dodgy stem if it moves every 5 days, i can safely say that mine never moves under normal riding, but thankfully does in a crash.

My housemate who is a road rider has some grease for his carbon bars that has loads of bits in it which get crushed so the two surfaces grip together better under lower torque so you don't damage them, not sure if it would work on alluminium but it might be worth a try to help your stem/steerer problems. It's a bit like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pace_RC005_Carbon_Composite_Shield_%28Grease%29/5360048266/#more

Edited by Iain C

un-snappable lightweight chains, please? the stem thing would be retarded, it'd increase manufacturing costs, you'd probably still need pinch bolts... i've never noticed my stem moving, perhaps your stem is a bit knackered? splined freewheels would be awesome, but wouldn't companies be real bastards about compatibility?

every time I do a spin my stem shifts a tiny bit unless I do the pinch bolts up really tight which is what I do do, but thats annoying because the stem still "creeps" very slowly so like every 5 days I need to set it straight again, and I hate riding with allen keys.

Clean the steerer on the forks and get the grease off, clean the inside of the stem and sand the steerer with a rough sandpaper. Wipe with a cloth after sanding. Put the stem back on and tighten. Your arrogance in telling people who are experienced in this area that a splined system would be better when you can't even solve this little mechanical problem yourself really is quite shocking.

I only have one pinch bolt as i stripped the other and it's moved once in a year and i crashed when it did. I'm over 200lbs as well so not a lightweight guy, and mine never twists when spinning or gapping.

carbon fiber bar extendors that fit simular to bmx bar ends, chris king pedals, one peice stem and top cap (would look tidy), carbon under chainstay plates umm and a frame that comes with wacky pictures all over it and a free pen kit :)

Edited by Adrian J
  • Like 1

what would make king pedals so good? if your desperate for trick pedals try burgtecs http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52461 and carbon under chain stay plates would die with f**ked up sidehops? carbon fibre seat stays might be cool....

[/quo

i mean carbon chainstay plates to cover your chainstay just to help a little, not carbon chainstays.

I only say king pedals as you can have a king bearingkit basically throughout on a bike :) would look tidy