Inventions That Need To Be Made

sayshell

that downtube protector is such a joke. I have some broken old frames that I like to test stuff on, to dent a 2.0mm tube with a hammer you literally have to hit it with all your possible strength. You could not even chip the paint hitting it that hard without the protector on. Well the protector might work but I mean the test they show is garbage. I was buying a new frame and my old one had a stripped bb so I took a hammer to it and tried to break the toptube but I couldn't. I only put tiny dents in it. Anyways what I am saying is its a bad test

First up, very few frames have 2mm tubes these days from what I unerstand. The Inspired has a 2mm downtube and that tube is hench. You'll probably find that Rockman frame has ~1mm tubing on the downtube and possibly even less in the centre if it's butted. Secondly, unless you're some freakishly weak starving child from Africa I'm pretty sure you could completely demolish a frame with a hammer, especially using 'all your possible strength'. Round tube's aren't that strong if you try and crush them (coke can as an example which some modern lightweight frames aren't far from) so a hammer blow is going to muller a tube. The protector will dissipate the force of an impact (within reason) along the length of the protector and will go a long way to saving your frame. Add in the 43g mass and pimp carbon-ness and I don't really see the joke!

Edit: *cough* :-

to dent a 2.0mm tube with a hammer you literally have to hit it with all your possible strength

Well, not quite, but you do have to hit it hard. The protector isn't designed for frames with super thick downtubes, it's for light comp frames (like the Manus). I did test it without the guard (that frame was a write off already - you may be able to see on the video at one point that it's missing a dropout) and it made some reasonable dents, certainly enough to void the warranty.

Well, not quite, but you do have to hit it hard. The protector isn't designed for frames with super thick downtubes, it's for light comp frames (like the Manus). I did test it without the guard (that frame was a write off already - you may be able to see on the video at one point that it's missing a dropout) and it made some reasonable dents, certainly enough to void the warranty.

I think it would have been good to have hammered the frame without the protector to prove a point :)

Wasn't sure how 'professional' that would be, but here you go:

post-5427-040059500 1276769603_thumb.jpg

A 'full power' whack would easily crimp the tube I think.

Looks to do a good job then, Im guessing those dents were produced using the same approximate hammer force? If it was tight fitted and bonded on it would be even stronger :)

That downtube protector looks reliable enough. Though I'm curious as to how well it'd protect against super hard bases. Dropgap-to-downtube fail?

Off topic- Is sayshell the 'dark lord' guy?

I think if you hit it hard enough to break through the carbon its goodbye frame anyways, wouldnt be so good with abrasion but that shouldnt be too much of a problem unless you constantly slipping off rough walls and scraping the protector. In answer to your second question, yes :)

edit: dammit beaten! >_<

Edited by forteh

No disc tab.

A pro2 would be the only mod disc freehub on the market. The only way to get a mod disc freehub is to get a king BMX hub and replace the shell to ISO which has the disc mount. However to most mere mortals this is way too much time and money, and is therefore fairly unfeasable.

I have a profile with an mtb hub shell, on my mod, 32 hole which has a disc mount.

post-21258-008993500 1276799635_thumb.jp

post-21258-023446700 1276799647_thumb.jp

nobody answered my question! Where do I get coloured magura hose if they exist? yeah I forgot those frames have super thin tubing. If you really want to see I will upload a video of me hammering the crap out of a frame and barely denting it. The diameter of the tube makes a huge difference too, for example even if its 2.0 thick something like a seatstay or chainstay basically can't dent because the smaller the tubing the stronger it will be (from getting squashed)

nobody answered my question! Where do I get coloured magura hose if they exist? yeah I forgot those frames have super thin tubing. If you really want to see I will upload a video of me hammering the crap out of a frame and barely denting it. The diameter of the tube makes a huge difference too, for example even if its 2.0 thick something like a seatstay or chainstay basically can't dent because the smaller the tubing the stronger it will be (from getting squashed)

Yes it does exist a member on the forum sells it, i can't quite remember who but it may be Alex Dark.

Its obvious that smaller tubes are stronger, more material in a smaller area, smaller circles are always going to be stronger than big ones but that is designed for the downtube.

The carbon thing is obviously only going to offer certain protection and like the armadillo mainly fram scratching.

I don't know, but when you get it, run it on the right hand side of your bike - it saves weight :giggle:

- Larger range of Mod tyres.

- More colours of rim tape.

- Lighter disk brakes.

- Carbon Spokes.

- Magnesium forks.

- Carbon Rotors.

- Lighter Mod tyres.

- Stronger forks.

Carbon spokes?! Magnesium forks?!

Carbon rotors has been done though.

coloured maggie hose already exits.

Ye, I has some

-Scandium/titanium frames.

-Kevlar tires for mods :rolleyes: .

-Better disc brakes.

And some kind of mechanism that's support pedalling in a way like elektronic bikes for more power.

Rockman Bj:orn = scandium..... Triton bikes = titanium

Scwalbe do some fronts that are folding don't they?

Better in what way? Mono trials and BB7's have got enough power for trials

- Larger range of Mod tyres.

- More colours of rim tape.

- Lighter disk brakes.

- Carbon Spokes.

- Magnesium forks.

- Carbon Rotors.

- Lighter Mod tyres.

- Stronger forks.

Mag forks = dob

carbon rotors have been done by the tarty crew

Strong forks, check out Trialtech

Lighter discs...marta SL carbon maybe?

Rim tape...just use any tape or plastic/ rubber

Kenda small block for a front mod tyre.... Try-all lite / Monty eagle claw rear?