Inventions That Need To Be Made

sayshell

How about a handlebar stem and fork steerer with a machined keyway in both. You insert a key to centralise it with the wheel every time. However if like Mark you don't fancy the prospect of fixing your alignment, you just leave out the key.

That's more like it! Simple, quick and reliable.

Out of curiosity though, how would you account for differing stem heights? A hole wouldn't work, so presumably some kind of groove down the stem and steerer with the key dropped into the groove in order to align it?

cant belive no ones had a good idea yet... anti pinch tubes, middleburn cranks to take front freewheel, rims that never need to be re ground

This

How about a handlebar stem and fork steerer with a machined keyway in both. You insert a key to centralise it with the wheel every time. However if like Mark you don't fancy the prospect of fixing your alignment, you just leave out the key.

That is a fairly good take on the original posters plan, but the forks would have to be uber accurately welded and them machined on a day that is not a monday or friday. :giggle: :giggle:

You could even look at having shear lines in them to solve Marks problem.

However I believe that it is a problem that does not need to be solved.

No disc tab.

A pro2 would be the only mod disc freehub on the market. The only way to get a mod disc freehub is to get a king BMX hub and replace the shell to ISO which has the disc mount. However to most mere mortals this is way too much time and money, and is therefore fairly unfeasable.

cant belive no ones had a good idea yet... anti pinch tubes, rims that never need to be re ground

Both are theoretically impossible, but as for the tube I know Raleigh do puncture resistant tubes which are effectively super thick, only problem is that they don't expand very well, so are limited to slim wheels such a bmx wheels.

Front carbon rims?

Yes, this!

I think there is a way to make a hope 116mm?

Just an idea , but, 

There has got to be current 116mm drivers that fit, and say, use one of these, make your own axle?

Grind disk rotor mount off

Maybe?

Coloured hosing has been made and comes in 16 colours, but at £16, im ok.

could you link me to where I coudl buy some? Would be much apprecaited

Yes they would.

People's aversion to carbon fibre as a strong material drives me nuts sometimes!

Yes but its more brittle than aluminium... thats why when you see expensive kit cars that have been smashed up with cracked and split panels because they use carbon fibre whereas aluminum will just bend and bend and bend before finally snapping.

magnesium bits and pieces

you know those anti wheelie bars you see on drag cars? one of those, but pretty small...just set up past the balance point for manuals (a manual stabiliser essentially) because im having a mare in learning them

I believe thats what your ass is for, padding for when you fail :P

Yes but its more brittle than aluminium... thats why when you see expensive kit cars that have been smashed up with cracked and split panels because they use carbon fibre whereas aluminum will just bend and bend and bend before finally snapping.

Yes its brittle but its specific properties are much higher than any aluminum alloy so a rim could be made much stronger and still be lighter.

The panels on a kit car aren't usually structural parts so will not be designed with high loads in mind.

OMG, what are the chances?!

that downtube protector is such a joke. I have some broken old frames that I like to test stuff on, to dent a 2.0mm tube with a hammer you literally have to hit it with all your possible strength. You could not even chip the paint hitting it that hard without the protector on. Well the protector might work but I mean the test they show is garbage. I was buying a new frame and my old one had a stripped bb so I took a hammer to it and tried to break the toptube but I couldn't. I only put tiny dents in it. Anyways what I am saying is its a bad test

Edited by sayshell