Took The Middle Out Of My Pedals :)

Ashley Sayers

What DMR pedals are they? If they're anything but Mags then i can't see the point as they will still be heavier than a Wellgo MG1. Bearings aren't really an issue with dirt etc, its not like they get ridden through puddles or in the mud to the same extent as on a mountainbike.

More to the point, do they not feel dead weird under your feet?

Fair play for trying it - but I'd've thought they'd feel nasty.

Edit: Also - CraigJames: Some people don't have money to splash on MG1s, but would still like to make their bike lighter :P

Edited by aener

Edit: Also - CraigJames: Some people don't have money to splash on MG1s, but would still like to make their bike lighter :P

Yea... if you don't have the money to buy light parts DO NOT BOTHER. They break 50X faster and are 100% more unreliable. You have just ruined your perfectly good pedals.

100% more unreliable.

So - assuming they were standard pedals to start with - y'know - you stand on them, and they don't break - 100% less reliable would mean the very second you stand on them, they'll do something totally unexpected... Like start talking, somehow, and complain about always being trodden on.

In this instance, I think I'd agree with the "buy light or put up with it", but on the whole I quite massively disagree.

Drilling headtubes and griding bash plate mounts off won't make your frame "100% less reliable". Cutting down excess length on a steerer instead of running extra stackers won't, either.

Surprise surprise, nor will drilling the sidewalls of your front rim.

Ok sorry for using 100% less reliable as a statement but your being pedantic, other than that my fact stands. got new lighter plastic pedals, they lasted.... 2 rides. My lightweight "street" frame lasted 3 backwheels, my "lighter" urbans bent when I did a 180, I cracked my Try All forks on both legs.Ok drilling the sidewalls on your rims may not make a huge difference, but the weight difference is f**k all as well, to substantially reduce weight you massivly comprimise strength (extreeme sweeping statement)

• Like 1

meh,

The guy wanted to try something he hadn't seeen before. nothing wrong with that!!!! i say hats off to him. it may turn out to be weaker and for hardly any weight saving. but hey, when did anyone ever achieve anything significant from "playing it safe!!!"

FAIL. Thats a step too far for me. Its not going to improve your riding just weaken your bike.......

Theres a limit to how comp fag you can go c'mon people. I've seen a guy drill some holes in his (not to loose weight just too look good) but this :nerd:

not a bad idea, i might go machine some of the pedal body away on mine B) i seem to remember someone like tryall making pedals like this, or maybe it was vincent or someone who was just hacking away at theirs.

ash

Quite a few of the tops guys do bits like this, but their bikes weigh 8KGs and they will actually notice the odd 100grams or so here or there.

• 1 month later...