Best "free" Virus Scanner?

Davetrials

+1

AVG free edition is amazing, but is notorious for a high amount of false positives

False positives are well basically your computer thinks a file is a virus because it may be trying to change something in windows, it could be a native windows file doing this, but because something is being changed AVG sees this and flags it as malicious 9/10 it's nothing but i run a scan once a week, I've been doing this for over 3 months and i have not come across one virus and my pc is still as fast as the day i got it. So don't worry about the false posotive thing as it hasn't found one on my machine yet. Also AVG has some sort of Firefox add on, that comes with AVG anyway, and when you search in Google there is a thing next to the website list which tells you wither its a trusted website or not, and if it encounters an untrusted website it warns you before you enter.

Also if you want to be extra safe download something called "superantispyware" This application eradicated spyware and any online malicious content but also, if ANY program wants to run at all it will ask for your permission, often viruses execute without you knowing in the back round, well this is not possible with superantisypware, even when you want to install something you have to give it permission 3 or 4 times for each separate thing, it really is amazing!

Both of those are amazing

Happy surfing! :D

+1 for Avast, mine went crazy* and wouldn't renew my license for a bit, so I had to download Avira. It's pretty bad and as soon as I can be assed to sort out Avast I'm uninstalling Avira.

*I got that virus which downloads and installs without you knowing, and then disguises itself as a Microsoft approved anti-virus. But after googling it's name, every link was "How to get rid of x" and "X is a virus, READ THIS".

My computer hasn't been the same since :

Edited by Ninja Manatee

+1 for Avast, mine went crazy* and wouldn't renew my license for a bit, so I had to download Avira. It's pretty bad and as soon as I can be assed to sort out Avast I'm uninstalling Avira.

*I got that virus which downloads and installs without you knowing, and then disguises itself as a Microsoft approved anti-virus. But after googling it's name, every link was "How to get rid of x" and "X is a virus, READ THIS".

My computer hasn't been the same since cry.gif

Yeah I've had to remove that from loads of peoples laptops for them but it's completely f****d my auntie's up.

That's Vista for you though, never had anyone with it on XP or windows 7!

I used to use AVG but switched to Avast about 18 months ago (there was a reason why, but I forget). I've got no complaints with either of them and my computer is virus-free and running as fast as it did when I first bought it. You can't go wrong with either - I will say this though - the 'virus database has been updated' voice on Avast might do your head in after a while...

…'virus database has been updated' voice on Avast might do your head in after a while...

I have my netbook plugged into my sound-system so I can play Spotify over the surround, and I always get the annoying voice really loud through whatever song I'm listening to :(

I'm pretty sure you can turn off the stupid updated announcement.

Does anyone else think the lass sounds really stupid?

Is it a woman in the latest version? I think I installed that on the missus' machine and remember it being annoying as f*ck haha.

What's the best for those of us with fast internet loose morals?

Again I'd recommend Avast. It scans everything you browse as you're browsing, then anything you your friend downloads when you're not looking ;)

even when you want to install something you have to give it permission 3 or 4 times for each separate thing, it really is amazing!

That sounds highly irritating, not amazing.

Generally if I'm installing something I'll know what it is...