Windows Xp New Problem..

Borat

Right, done that and it worked.

All installed now, but when I try to start up without it being in compatibility mode, after it shows the Windows XP screen, the blue screen of death pops up.

When I run it in compatibility mode, when logged on, nothing is on the desktop, apart from Recycle bin.

Also forgot to mention, the other week, I partitioned my hard disk.

Edited by Borat

You need to boot the laptop up and go into the bios settings as it loads and change the boot option from the hard drive to the cd drive, stick the disc in and restart and that should sort it.

Just out of interest how come you don't like W7??

Same kinda thing happened with me a few days ago when I burnt Ubuntu to a disk, I think you'll need special software to burn it as an ISO, not just some files on a disk.

I'll fire up my pc and let you know what I used in a sec, it's freeware and pretty light.

Edited by Ninja Manatee

Same kinda thing happened with me a few days ago when I burnt Ububtu to a disk, I think you'll need special software to burn it as an ISO, not just some files on a disk.

I'll fire up my pc and let you know what I used in a sec, it's freeware and pretty light.

Magic iso used to do it for me but can't remember if its free anymore

SATA hard drive?

Probably needs the SATA drivers. Try getting the chipset drivers and every other driver you can find for your motherboard on the manufacturers website and then stick them in a USB pen. During the installation when it asks for a drive there should be a section with the option of using disk drivers during the setup.

Also, did you burn the disc on the slowest burn speed?

SATA hard drive?

Probably needs the SATA drivers. Try getting the chipset drivers and every other driver you can find for your motherboard on the manufacturers website and then stick them in a USB pen. During the installation when it asks for a drive there should be a section with the option of using disk drivers during the setup.

Also, did you urn the disc on the slowest burn speed?

This may be the issue here.

You can use this method, however in the past I've got around it by entering the BIOS settings and changing the drive from ATA to 'Compatibility' - and then change it back when the drivers are available and installed :)

This may be the issue here.

You can use this method, however in the past I've got around it by entering the BIOS settings and changing the drive from ATA to 'Compatibility' - and then change it back when the drivers are available and installed :)

Right, done that and it worked.

All installed now, but when I try to start up without it being in compatibility mode, after it shows the Windows XP screen, the blue screen of death pops up.

When I run it in compatibility mode, when logged on, nothing is on the desktop, apart from Recycle bin.

Also forgot to mention, the other week, I partitioned my hard disk.

Ermm, on a fresh installation of XP all you'll see is the Recycle Bin on the desktop, by default. Or do you mean there is no task bar or anything like that?

If when you boot into windows and you press the Windows key on your keyboard, does the start menu pop up? It could be that explorer.exe is failing to boot - so either a problem with the registery orrrr a failed installation.

1. Have all your drivers been installed correctly?

2. In Task Manager go to Processes, is explorer.exe listed there?

3. Go to Task Manager, Run and type regedit - go to Local Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version>WinLogon

Within there you should see an entry called 'Shell'. Double click it and ensure explorer.exe is within the dialogue box.

Post back :)

Thanks, but thats not the problem. (N) But thanks to a member who I am not to name :P I know the problem, but I dont know the fix.

Take a look at: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-66020

And I sent an email to IBM saying:

Heys guys at Ibm. I've got a problem with my Thinkpad T60.

I was using it with xp for a long time, then decided to try out windows 7, so I did. All was ok, other than it didn't support my video card.

So after a long while, I decided to install xp again. But I didn't think to check the website for support. It wouldn't let me install it normally, so I decided to ask on a forum I use (trials-forum.co.uk) I'm a keen trials biker and there are a couple of computer 'experts' on there. They told me to change the disk from AHCI to Compatibility mode. So all went smoothly from there. Untill I logged in. It wasn't 'complete' only the recycle bin was on the desktop, nothing on the taskbar was working. Then the idea that the hard disk was still on compatibility mode. So I changed it back, but when restarting, after the xp sign comes up, the 'blue screen of death' pops up. So I checked the site and it mentions how you should install the intel thing (I cant remember exactly whats it's called, but I've downloaded it etc now) before you install the fresh O.P because without installing it, windows will crash to blue screen. But I didn't install it, as I only checked the site afterwards. What do I do, because I really want to be back on my laptop and flying on flight simulator.

Please get back to me guys, Jack.

All they sent back, was an automated message, saying to ring them. Bearing in mind they'll be workin office hours and they're not going to be in right now.

So what do you recon I should do?

Thanks, but thats not the problem. (N) But thanks to a member who I am not to name :P I know the problem, but I dont know the fix.

Take a look at: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-66020

And I sent an email to IBM saying:

Heys guys at Ibm. I've got a problem with my Thinkpad T60.

I was using it with xp for a long time, then decided to try out windows 7, so I did. All was ok, other than it didn't support my video card.

So after a long while, I decided to install xp again. But I didn't think to check the website for support. It wouldn't let me install it normally, so I decided to ask on a forum I use (trials-forum.co.uk) I'm a keen trials biker and there are a couple of computer 'experts' on there. They told me to change the disk from AHCI to Compatibility mode. So all went smoothly from there. Untill I logged in. It wasn't 'complete' only the recycle bin was on the desktop, nothing on the taskbar was working. Then the idea that the hard disk was still on compatibility mode. So I changed it back, but when restarting, after the xp sign comes up, the 'blue screen of death' pops up. So I checked the site and it mentions how you should install the intel thing (I cant remember exactly whats it's called, but I've downloaded it etc now) before you install the fresh O.P because without installing it, windows will crash to blue screen. But I didn't install it, as I only checked the site afterwards. What do I do, because I really want to be back on my laptop and flying on flight simulator.

Please get back to me guys, Jack.

All they sent back, was an automated message, saying to ring them. Bearing in mind they'll be workin office hours and they're not going to be in right now.

So what do you recon I should do?

You could always try ringing them, when they're open?

Also, I don't suppose they're bothered if you're a keen biker or not... Not being nasty, but you just need to give them the problem, not your background, the guys there aren't gonna give a crap as you'll just be another reference number that they want off their system ASAP...

So yeah, like i said originally, you don't have the device drivers and raid controller driver installed on your laptop.

It tells you what you need to do on the page you linked to by the way...

If you do not have a diskette drive, you can install Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver by the following alternative procedure:

Note: If you select AHCI for Serial ATA (SATA) in the BIOS Setup Utility before installing Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver, your computer will not respond; it will only display a blue screen.

1. Start the BIOS Setup Utility menu.

2. Select Config.

3. Select Serial ATA (SATA).

4. Select Compatibility.

5. Change the startup sequence of your computer. Following the instructions on the Startup menu in the BIOS Setup Utility, set the CD-ROM drive to start first.

6. Insert the CD for Windows XP into the CD or DVD drive, and restart the computer.

7. If you have not yet installed Windows XP Service Pack 2, visit the Microsoft Web site at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/default.mspx

8. Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 from the Web site. To install it, follow the instructions in the readme file.

9. Visit the Lenovo Support and downloads Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=TPAD-MATRIX

10. Download Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver from the Web site. To install it, follow the instructions for clean installation in the readme file.

11. Run Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver. To do this, go to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\SATA\PREPARE, and double-click install.cmd.

12. Turn the computer off and then on again.

13. Start the BIOS Setup Utility menu.

14. Select Config.

15. Select Serial ATA (SATA).

16. Select AHCI.

17. Start Windows XP. The Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard will appear.

18. Click No, not this time, and then click Next.

19. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.

20. Select Search for the best driver in these locations. Then select Include this location in the search:, specify the path, C: \DRIVERS\WIN\ SATA, and click Next. The Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard will appear.

21. Click Finish.

22. When the System Settings Change window appears, click Yes. The computer will restart.

23. In the device listing on the Device Manager window, a yellow mark may appear at the left side of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller. If it does appear, open its properties and click the Reinstall driver button to install the USB2.0 driver.

24. Restore C:\IBMTOOLS or C:\SWTOOLS from the backup copy you made before starting the installation.

25. Run the Intel Chipset Support 5 for Windows 2000/XP. To do this, run infinst_autol.exe in either C:\IBMTOOLS\OSFIXES\INTELINF\ or C:\SWTOOLS\OSFIXES\INTELINF\.

26. Apply the PCMCIA Power Policy Registry Patch. To do this, go to either C:\IBMTOOLS\OSFIXES\PCMCIAPW\ or C:\SWTOOLS\OSFIXES\PCMCIAPW\, double-click install.bat, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen.

27. Install device drivers. They are provided in either the C:\IBMTOOLS\ DRIVERS or the C: \SWTOOLS\ DRIVERS directory on your hard disk drive. To see how to install them, refer to Installing device drivers. You will also need to install application software, which is provided in either the C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS or the C:\SWTOOLS\APPS directory on your hard drive.

Note: If you cannot find the Supplement files, device drivers, and application software you need on your hard drive, or if you want to receive updates and the latest information about them, refer to the Lenovo Support and downloads Web site, http://www.lenovo.com/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=TPAD-MATRIX

Yeah I know, I didn't mean that in a way of me biking at all. Just getting the point accross that you actually know what you're on about. :P

But yeah, I know it tells me what to do. And I've followed this, but nothing avails. When do I install what? Can someone shed some light on what I have to do. Thanks. :)

and then change it back when the drivers are available and installed

1. Have all your drivers been installed correctly?

So yeah, like i said originally, you don't have the device drivers and raid controller driver installed on your laptop.

As we've stated. Above is a pretty good step-by-step guide of what you need to be doing :)

Ps. I wouldn't waste your time emailing IBM - they have a lenovo forum which is far better.

Thanks guys, I carefully follows the steps. As I should have done. :closedeyes:

But now, at the stage of: 20.Select Search for the best driver in these locations. Then select Include this location in the search:, specify the path, C: \DRIVERS\WIN\ SATA, and click Next. The Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard will appear.

21.Click Finish.

I'm stuck, because theres no path part for SATA.

Thanks guys, I carefully follows the steps. As I should have done. :closedeyes:

But now, at the stage of: 20.Select Search for the best driver in these locations. Then select Include this location in the search:, specify the path, C: \DRIVERS\WIN\ SATA, and click Next. The Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard will appear.

21.Click Finish.

I'm stuck, because theres no path part for SATA.

When you downloaded this driver, I assume you opened it? Sorry to state the obvious here, but the Lenovo driver packs unzip the drivers to a defaulted location - C:/Drivers/Blah blah blah.

When you open the downloaded it should display this - copy it, go to Start, Run and paste the path into there.

Usually the driver packs are broken down into OS or environment - Go to WinXP or whichever is the closest to your OS, run the setup folder if there is one there - 99% of the time these do not self deploy on the unzip with Lenovo stuff, you have to start it manually.

If there is not one there, you will have to go through the Windows route of directing the search to the specified path where the drivers have unzipped to.

Should be a peice of piss really, we have about 50 T60s and T400s here and never had a problem with them!

Right guys, I've finally got passed the hardware installing bit. But now I'm stuck again.

At the very top of the page, it says how you should backup the files (Ibmtools) etc etc.

But I never did, and theres files in that which I need to use. Google doesn't give me an awsner, so what do I do?

At the top of which page?

If it's referring to backing up IBM Tools itself I think you can safely ignore that unless you actually use any of them in your day to day workings.

My of the features of IBM Tools are just third party applications for Microsoft functions (i.e ThinkVantage Connections is just an advanced way of profiling wireless connections, unless you're moving from office to office on various wireless networks, you'll receive no additional benefit from TVC), Microsoft Wireless will handle all that perfectly fine.

IF you do need to download them, they're available within the Lenovo website - usually under the category of what you'd use the programme for, for example TVC is under connections or you could download the entire suite although my gut feel tells me this would be a waste of space as you'd never use most of them :)

IBM Tools isn't a requirement for IBM laptops or Windows OS.