Preventing Pinchs

bikeperson45

Basically I'm getting tonnes of pinch punctures. I didn't really want to have to make a thread about it but desperate times call for desperate measures. There's a wall that I've been able to get up for about 4 months, yet everytime within the last week I've got a pinch trying it. I'm using a new Maxxis Minion with a Halfords innertube. I wrapped the tube up with a cut old inner tube but that also doesn't seem to have worked. Any I don't get to ride with people a lot, so is it normal for a pinch to be two holes about a centimeter apart?

Help please

Thanks

Basically I'm getting tonnes of pinch punctures. I didn't really want to have to make a thread about it but desperate times call for desperate measures. There's a wall that I've been able to get up for about 4 months, yet everytime within the last week I've got a pinch trying it. I'm using a new Maxxis Minion with a Halfords innertube. I wrapped the tube up with a cut old inner tube but that also doesn't seem to have worked. Any I don't get to ride with people a lot, so is it normal for a pinch to be two holes about a centimeter apart?

Help please

Thanks

cant help you with that one mate.

but yes a pinch is generally 2 holes with a gap between them.

me and my mates have always called them a snakebite, or a snaky, because of the cut it makes in the tube

No-one has even mentioned the biggest factor in pinch punctures, the tyre! Is your maxxis a single or dual ply? Because single plys are paper thin and are very easy to pinch. If you already have a dual ply then ignore this post and listen to what everyone else has posted :P

Yes, what differnce would that make?

When you grind your rim (particularly if its had quite a few grinds in the past) the top of the bead can get really sharp. Normally the edge of the rim is rounded, if youre not careful when grinding you can create a sharp edge, this will be worse if its a harsh/deep grind. Other than learning to ride smoother a dual ply tyre is your only option, I used to run a dual ply highroller at 9psi and never pinched :)

When you grind your rim (particularly if its had quite a few grinds in the past) the top of the bead can get really sharp. Normally the edge of the rim is rounded, if youre not careful when grinding you can create a sharp edge, this will be worse if its a harsh/deep grind. Other than learning to ride smoother a dual ply tyre is your only option, I used to run a dual ply highroller at 9psi and never pinched :)

Exactly.

The top edge of the grind isn't used by the pad so you can happily round it back off by running a piece of metal round the top of it, or sandpaper/file if you careful not to rub the areas that the brake will use. I remove my burrs and sharp edges on the rim straight after a grind using a metal bladed paint scraper. I literally just scrape it round the edge of the rim to make it round again and i can run my tyres as low as i want and still land very heavily with a rider weight of just over 16 stone on some very sharp corners and i won't pinch at all.

I've had one puncture this year and that was from a thorn. And i've landed some things VERY heavily.

Another thing, youve had 22 pinches in 1 week? Does that mean youve put 22 new innertubes in or have you been repairing the tube? Its very rare that you can actually repair a pinch puncture unless its very small, could be some of the flats have been because of patches blowing off/leaking.

Another thing, youve had 22 pinches in 1 week? Does that mean youve put 22 new innertubes in or have you been repairing the tube? Its very rare that you can actually repair a pinch puncture unless its very small, could be some of the flats have been because of patches blowing off/leaking.

Rubbish, it's fairly easy if you're competent. Can't ever remember getting a pinch so bad it was unfixable.

Rubbish, it's fairly easy if you're competent. Can't ever remember getting a pinch so bad it was unfixable.

Believe me Ive been trying to repair pinches for the last 15 years, when you have a two 2" long slits in the tube youre not going to be able to repair them, something under half an inch long and you can patch them. Pinches at higher pressures tend to split more, as the op is running 30psi thats enough to tear the tube when it deflates.

I havent had a pinch in several years now though, I did have a box of loads of scrap innertubes though :D

The pinchs I've been getting vary from about 3mm slits to 7mm. Sometimes they're close enough together that I'm able to use one big one and that'll hold it or I'll use two of the really small ones. And I've been fixing them, I've used three different inner tubes in the last week and five days but one was an old one because I keep punctured ones in case a valve brakes and I really need one.

I'll look at the rim, it is ground but it's pretty worn out now. Hopefully that'll help. I also bought a Maxxis DH tube and again, hopefully that'll help.

Thanks for all the replys

i wouldnt bother ever repairing a tube with a snake bite in, its just to much hasstle,

you have said you have wrapped another tube around your actual inner tube, right?

which way round did you put it on?? as you want the second (cut) tube to be on the inside of the wheel (closest to the rim) so when you pinch your tire, theres an extra tube there to protect your inflated one, maybe you put your second tube in the wrong way round (out tube on the tire side) ;) ??

if not then try a different tire, or get a thick tube, or even better do both, and put more pressure in

then come back and tell us what happened

No-one has even mentioned the biggest factor in pinch punctures, the tyre! Is your maxxis a single or dual ply? Because single plys are paper thin and are very easy to pinch. If you already have a dual ply then ignore this post and listen to what everyone else has posted :P

The pinchs I've been getting vary from about 3mm slits to 7mm. Sometimes they're close enough together that I'm able to use one big one and that'll hold it or I'll use two of the really small ones. And I've been fixing them, I've used three different inner tubes in the last week and five days but one was an old one because I keep punctured ones in case a valve brakes and I really need one.

I'll look at the rim, it is ground but it's pretty worn out now. Hopefully that'll help. I also bought a Maxxis DH tube and again, hopefully that'll help.

Thanks for all the replys

So what tyre are you using?

Because a DH tube in a single ply tyre will still be easier to pinch than a halfords tube in a Dual ply tyre...

Also, make sure the tube isn't sticking to the tyre. There should be some talcum powder in the tyre, if the tube is sticking then put some more in. This lets the inner tube slide past the tyre and can have a huge impact on how easily it pinches.

Fatter tube and smoother riding style.

Riding style is the biggest factor, Matt Bird was riding completely slick Monty tyres on the rear of his KO mod, with a basic innertube he'd had for years with very little pressure (about 10psi if that). Although he was a street beast, he just knew how to land on it properly, only saw him get one pinch.