How Is Stell For Trials Riding?

Canardweb

Hello, seeing that marino frames are cheap, I would like to know how good they are for trials, by that I mean how does steel feels for trials moves?

Also, has anybody got problems with these frames, tyre clearance, freewheel or chain rubbing...etc...

Tell me what you think.

I would also like to know what BB type I should take to have one like the standard trials frame have today... Euro, american, spanish?

Calling hi-ten steel the same as 'normal' steel is a bit of an insult to normal steel ;) There's a reason that only super cheap, beginner BMXs are made of it then every frame worth buying isn't. The 'normal' trials, screw-in BB type is the Euro BB. However, if you go for a Spanish BB the Echo Urban BB will also fit.

Calling hi-ten steel the same as 'normal' steel is a bit of an insult to normal steel ;) There's a reason that only super cheap, beginner BMXs are made of it then every frame worth buying isn't. The 'normal' trials, screw-in BB type is the Euro BB. However, if you go for a Spanish BB the Echo Urban BB will also fit.

So you wouldn't recommend steel for trials riding?

If it's good quality 4130 steel, or T45, or Reynolds, or pretty much anything other than hi-ten steel then yeah, I would. However, every hi-ten part I've had has broken, and I've seen a lot of broken BMX parts made out of it too.

If it's good quality 4130 steel, or T45, or Reynolds, or pretty much anything other than hi-ten steel then yeah, I would. However, every hi-ten part I've had has broken, and I've seen a lot of broken BMX parts made out of it too.

Thanks a lot Mark!

Just to offer a different opinion, me and loads of other people have Marino frames and are more than happy with them. Correct, they aren't as good as Leeson's or Curtis's, but they cost £500 whereas a Marino cost £90, and for that price they are just lovely.

Dont worry Matt he'll no doubt go through all three plus the Ozonys he's also considering within the next 6 months.

I am not considering anything at the moment (except the Ozonys which looks more than promising) but I am just looking for a frame!

Just to offer a different opinion, me and loads of other people have Marino frames and are more than happy with them. Correct, they aren't as good as Leeson's or Curtis's, but they cost £500 whereas a Marino cost £90, and for that price they are just lovely.

I'm tempted to get one just to try out some geometry. Did you measure your's after you got it to see how true the geo was on it? Can't remember when I looked at your bike either, but was tyre clearance alright?

Another supporter of the "if you want a cheap frame, a Marino will do the job nicely" mentality. £90 to my door for a totally custom frame which turned out absolutely perfect in terms of geometry and therefore only the materials let it down, is pretty sweet really. Yes, it'd be nice if he was using some tastier tube sets but then the price goes up, although he's looking at getting a load of cromo stuff in so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

If there was an alu frame out there with the geometry and price point to meet my needs then it'd be great, purely for a weight benefit, but for now I'll happily roll about on my Marino (Y)

I'll open that up from a directly to Dan question - did you measure your's to compare what it was supposed to be? I'd want some short-ish stays on it, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get The Best Tyre Ever through the stays if it was shorter than what he usually uses...

turned out absolutely perfect in terms of geometry

As in it was spot on what I asked for (Y)

I've had it with my rear wheel slammed giving around 262mm stays and had plenty of clearance for a 2.35" Digger, though the widest point of a Holy Roller is a tad wider IIRC. With the wheel where it is now I've got bags of room both at the sides and 'on top' of the tyre.

Edit; What I will say though is if anyone does order with Marino, do it via a series of emails rather than the form on his site. His English isn't great but his main priority is making sure that his customers are happy (ok, after making his money...). Be clear with him about what you want, confirm EVERYTHING at least once and make sure he knows every detail as well as you do. Leave no room for error and he can't go wrong ;)

Mines just Inspired geo, I'll go measure it up now and see how accurate it is. I need to whack up some updated pictures anyway, it looks miles different to last time.

In terms of tyre clearance there's loads, my mate couldn't fit his 2.7" High Roller in, but there's loads of room for my 2.4" Holy Roller.

Edit: Just measured the chainstay length, reach and wheelbase, and compared to the figures on the Tarty Bikes site the frame is 100% bang on to the millimetre, 385mm chainstays, 650mm reach, 1030mm wheelbase. There's also about 10mm or so or clearance either side of the tyre.

I specified every single thing I could haha. Geometry, seat/headtube lengths, brake spacing, tyre clearance @ whatever chainstay length, even the length of the gussets I wanted on the frame!

Like I said, even with the stays at 262mm I had plenty of clearance, so you should be fine. If you do order just explain to him that you want it and make sure he checks that for you, but I wouldn't see it to be a problem really.

Might be worth checking actual tyre widths for whichever rims you run though, Mark. I'm running the DMR on a Rhyno Lite and I'm fairly sure you were running something with holes which I'd imagine is wider, along with the bigger tyre too...

At the end of the day, it really is just a £90 frame made by a chap in his shed, but depending on the situation that could be more than enough for what you need. I know it was/is for me.