Grind Pad Refills

trialsmax04

50 members have voted

1. 1. Pad choice

Basicly, as soon as a new pad comes out, for example LGM's, everyone loves them and has something good to say about them, untill a few weeks later when a differnt pad comes out and there virtually obsolite.

All the pad reviews are so confusing so if would be cool if you guys could vote honestly in this situation.

Best refils to run with CNC'd backings and to run with a grind.

Max ;)

From the amount of LGMs we still sell, I'd definitely say they're not obsolete. You can't really go wrong with TNN though...

Okay maybe wrong choice of word there, but my point being every one has there own oppinion about pads and there seams to be no way of actually finding the best pad.

Most pads work really well ive ran onza citrus and they were one of the best ever

its how people set there pads up ive been on rides and seen very bad setups of pads and people wonder why there brake is rubbish when its on the tyre

basically anything over that magura blacks are good on a good grind and setup well

no tar its oil based

Basicly, as soon as a new pad comes out, for example LGM's, everyone loves them and has something good to say about them, untill a few weeks later when a differnt pad comes out and there virtually obsolite.

All the pad reviews are so confusing so if would be cool if you guys could vote honestly in this situation.

Best refils to run with CNC'd backings and to run with a grind.

Max ;)

There is no "best" pad, people use different pads for different used.

basically anything over that magura blacks are good on a good grind and setup well

What?

Best refils to use on a grind? so only one situation......

As alot of people will say, heatsink yellows. No moaning at me if im wrong for this but people tell me that coust pads have good hold btu nto much bite. Personally I'd say heatsink yellows OR the Kenny Bealey pads are pretty good too, very loud and good hold and bite.

I dont trust them LGM pads with some good reviews and some bad...

No moaning at me if im wrong for this but people tell me that coust pads have good hold btu nto much bite. Personally I'd say heatsink yellows OR the Kenny Bealey pads are pretty good too, very loud and good hold and bite.

I dont trust them LGM pads with some good reviews and some bad...

I had some coust pads, I found them the opposite to what you said...good bite, crap hold.

Never used the Heatsinks, so can't and wont comment, but I have been using the LGM pads all year (yep, the same pad the whole year to those skeptics who say they don't last long) and they have been pretty awesome, good in the wet, good hold and reasonable bite (my setup is aimed at hold as the most important aspect, sacrificing bite)

I've come to learn that it is more than the pad that effects peformance, and the rim helps significantly. But of coarse the pad helps a lot. After running pretty much nothing but try-all rims for a long time and then moving onto echo tr rims I noticed a big difference in terms of the life of the grind and the ease to get a much better grind.

As for pads I have used quite a fair few (but bear in mind on different set ups) such as phat pads, LGM, croco yellow, rock pads, ozonys pads, croco browns adamant, echo pads.

Of them I would probably pick out the croco yellows as the ultimate performance from them all bet yet with quicker wear life but I would consider it worth it, and following the LGMs or phat pads but again I have to emphasize that they have been on different set ups. I used the crocos on a try-all rim an yet they were still the best performing pads i have had (Y)

Edited by Duncy H

(my setup is aimed at hold as the most important aspect, sacrificing bite)

how do you do that - brakebooster and angled pads?

what most people don´t take into consideration is which rim you use with which pad; for example my TNNs (both LGM and Kennys) work awesome on a trialtech rim, whilst they don´t work very good on the TryHole rim;

apart from that, my experiences: (i ride without a booster, TNN clamps, on a Hydroxx lt and with a sharp grind)

coust rubber: immense bite, after a while lack of hold, ok in the wet (on an older TryAll rim model), not good in when it gets dusty

Heatsink white(same compound as the yellow isn´t it?): good bite, good hold; not so nice in the wet (on an older TryAll rim model), ok when dusty

TNN LGM: best bite i ever experienced, very good hold, very good in the wet, not good when it gets dusty

TNN Kennys: good bite, very good hold, medium in the wet, good in dusty condition

As said, this is with a trialtech rim, with a TryHole rim, everything gets worse in every condition

Edited by wimmeretz

Best pads I've ever had were old Cousts (ca. 2006). They were insanely good.

CRM's would probably come second but their wear life is pretty crap and they're very soft which gives you a nasty lever feel.

I've only tried the LGM's out once on another bike and that was enough to decide to introduce them to the market over here. They were as good as the old Cousts or better even.

Really well made point here - all the best pads have kept their winning material for years, and only when they changed it or got rid of it did the problems start! I'd go with the pads that you feel will always give you reliable performance in all conditions, and that have always inspired confidence across the scene.