Anyone Know A Lot About Flammables?

sayshell

Hey I am looking for a flammable paste or liquid with the following properties...

burns for a long time (30 seconds or more)

Burns hot (temperature over 150 celsius)

Not much smoke. (produces as little smoke as possible)

not explosive

comes in large quantities

I am sure their is a lot of pastes that do this, paint does this but it dries up fast and is not flammable once it dries. Does anyone know what I am looking for? Paper has this exact property, is their a form of liquid paper that stays liquid for a while?

I don't even want to know what you're planning to do with it...

Pretty sure there's not much (readily available) that would do what you want. Oil would do it but is smokey, petrol or llighter fluid might do it but you probably don't want to be playing round with that too much. What about those firelighter things- like white cubes that are soaked in kerosene or something and used to start coal fires or barbeques?

Pva and petrol :) and a drop of flour! Burns for hours and makes a good paste :) Requires smothering to be put out also! Water wont put this bitch out :P

Or polystyrene dissolved in petrol, makes a lot of acrid black smoke, makes more of a gel, and also burns the same way, for ever without being put out by water :P Water actually makes them both worse :)

Isnt the polystyrene in petrol how they make napalm?

Im going to guess that its pyrotechnics for a video?

I was thinking that too, but if I was making flame purely for visual effect I'd want it to burn as cold as possible, not as hot.

Orange juice concentrate dissolved in petrol also makes a napalm like substance too.

well the reason I want it hot, is because I want the wooden surface underneath it to catch on fire also. The smoke is an issue especially if it burns for a long time. If I used gasoline or something the wooden surface wouldn't catch on fire because the burst of fire is too short which is why I need something that lasts longer. Burning wood is actually quite diffuicult unless you have a massive fire going already. Especially if its not firewood. Liquids are fine, but gels are just easier to work with, you can see exactly where it is and it doesn't move. The location I am doing this in is 100% safe, their is 10 km of snow in every direction and its enclosed inside a rock bowl without a tree in any direction for 50km, its 1000 times safer than smoking a cigarette in your house, everything in the universe is illegal though regardless of if it effects anyone in any possible way. People make money by catching people on the technicality of a law, its like when I got arreseted for riding my bike on a side walk. I don't know if the UK is that bad but I actually got tackled and handcuffed, and it was a trials bike how the hell am I supposed to ride it on the road it goes 1kmph blah blah blah I am ranting anyways I am just trying to explain why I dont want to draw attention which is why smoke is an issue. If its a short burst that should be ok but seeing as how riding on a sidewalk gets you arrested, I imagine lighting a fire gets you life in prison.

Yes ish for antitron 5.

Pva and petrol :) and a drop of flour! Burns for hours and makes a good paste :) Requires smothering to be put out also! Water wont put this bitch out :P

Or polystyrene dissolved in petrol, makes a lot of acrid black smoke, makes more of a gel, and also burns the same way, for ever without being put out by water :P Water actually makes them both worse :)

say it in english doc. I dont know chemistry, is pva and petrol the actual name, or is just another name for mentos and diet coke?

Polyester resin.

Or methylated spirits if you want somehting more viscous.

where would you buy or make that? Can you give a bit more detail?

Edited by sayshell

is pva and petrol the actual name, or is just another name for mentos and diet coke?

:giggle:

PVA is basically wood glue- the stuff you used to use in primary school that starts out white and dries clear but is fun to play with as it dries into a sticky blob. It's actually Polyvinyl Acetate but would be readily available from a hardware store. Petrol is what you weird people over the pond call 'gas' or 'gasoline'. It's what the majority of cars run on.

:giggle:

PVA is basically wood glue- the stuff you used to use in primary school that starts out white and dries clear but is fun to play with as it dries into a sticky blob. It's actually Polyvinyl Acetate but would be readily available from a hardware store. Petrol is what you weird people over the pond call 'gas' or 'gasoline'. It's what the majority of cars run on.

awesome lol. I think that would be really smokey and explosive though. I found the perfect solution though. Wood finish. Its like syrup and takes over a day to dry if you leave it in clumps. + its cheap. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.