Tee Vees!

JT!

I'm looking to buy a 32" (ish) tv soon and I'm pretty new too all the new tech as I haven't bought a TV since long before HD first came out.

I don't really have a budget as such, looking at around $600 but that's in $'s anyway so it's a little useless to anyone in the UK.

I'll be using it for a TV and a computer monitor too using a 20ft HDMI cable.

Is it worth getting one with 120htz refresh rate, or sticking with 60htz?

720, 1080 or 1440?

LCD or LCD-LED?

This'll be the first time I've ever had a hd tv so I don't need to be getting anything super high quality, just something solid that'll last a good while.

Any advice would be great thanks!!!

Yeah, the only reason I mentioned them is because I read they're supposed to be better suited if you were going to use it as a computer monitor.

Which leads me onto a question I forgot to ask, how does text (this text) look on a 32" say about 8ft away? It it legible?

Text won't be too good from such a distance.

Remember that 1920x1080 is very high resolution, good enough for use as a PC monitor.

Can't help with the choice though, I have a 1080 Sharp Aquos which is now about 3,5 years old, I don't remember the diameter but it's around 37". I'm happy with it, the one thing I'm really impressed with is the quality of the integrated speakers.

I'd say go to a store and look at the images these TV's produce. You're bound to find something that will suit you.

If it's under 40" then 720p will be fine. I've got a 40" and when watching a film the difference between 1080 and 720 is fairly small unless your watching it in fullscreen (1.78:1). If your using it as a computer monitor then i guess it could kind of justify the extra resolution of 1080p but having used a 32" 756 line monitor as a pc it looked okay from 3-4 feet back.

A higher hz rate than the source or set are capable of is actually using a bit of clever trickery to add in missing frames based on a combination of two subsequent frames and making a halfway version of them and sliding it in between. Kind of similarly to interlacing. This can often lead to random image problems and things like moving objects sometimes get a halo around the trailing edge because of it.

LCD and LED-LCD use the same panels. It's just the backlighting that is different, with the biggest significance being space saving on the account of LED backlighting taking up less room. Some side lit LED tv's can suffer from bright spots, so it's worth checking reviews for a particular model on avforums before you buy.

As said above go to a local store and check the models out. Try the tv's with all the "features" turned off and remember that the tv's always look very different under the stores lighting than they will do at home. Another good general rule of thumb is samsung and LG for LCD and Panasonic and Philips for plasma.

I've got a 1080p LG Plasma (42") and I used it for about a month as my PC monitor before the novelty wore off. Text is pretty grainy even on highest res. It's great for films / games but for every day computer use it's not brilliant - I've heard that 32" is the ideal size if you want good quality PC viewing...

Well the reason I'm looking into using it as a pc monitor is because I looked into internet TV's and they're a hell of a lot more money for a bunch of restrictive integrated crap. Ultimately all it would be used for is movies but it would be nice if I could use it for general internet stuff, facebook msn TF etc.

Couldn't you just increase the text sise?

I think I'm pretty clued up now. Sticking with 1080 / 120htz, probably aim for an LG or Samsung, they seem to have the best reviews.

Thanks guys!

Another good general rule of thumb is samsung and LG for LCD and Panasonic and Philips for plasma.

Concur - My Samsung 40" 1080p LCD is the nuts, looks better than most as an object and definitely has a nicer picture than most other TVs Ive watched. - I use it as a monitor sometimes too. However I wouldn't want to go much beyond 5/6 feet for regular use or for work.

Another vote for Samsung quality. Mines either 36" or 40", I can't remember. I have my server plugged into is for the odd bit of web browsing and watching movies at 1080p and it's absolutely fine for me. You could definitely increase the font size to make things easier, but I haven't bothered.

I've just sold my 32" Samsung to a flat mate in my Halls but another vote for the quality of the image. Albeit mine was a lower priced model, it still ran 1080p and looked fantastic on the Ps3.

Moved now to a 24" LED backlit monitor and love it even more. So crisp

• 1 month later...

Samsung tv's have a quality picture. Compared a samsung 32" 1080p LCD to a Sony 32" 1080p LCD and the difference wwas unreal. Toshiba and samsung are quality makes (Y)

Here.

That's what I've got to choose from.

Looking at this or for $50 less this. (Price of the LG is $449)

Can't decide!

Do NOT go for the Sony, Lg's are really good, sony have a crap picture honestly, as mentioned in the previous post i made, the difference between a samsung and a sony is unreal and most would think sony is a better make.

Samsung tv's have a quality picture. Compared a samsung 32" 1080p LCD to a Sony 32" 1080p LCD and the difference wwas unreal. Toshiba and samsung are quality makes (Y)

Do NOT go for the Sony, Lg's are really good, sony have a crap picture honestly, as mentioned in the previous post i made, the difference between a samsung and a sony is unreal and most would think sony is a better make.

what were you comparing? In a shop?

If so, different shops use different sources and as such can vary.

Sony Bravia's are great TV's. In fact, I'd say Sony, LG and Samsung are on a level playing field at the moment.

The others are all good, but it really depends on each different model...

I was tempted by the Sony but read a few bad reviews of the screen going out. I like the LG too but it's really really thin, which makes me think I'm paying for that and losing quality on other aspects.

The Samsung is a little bit too pricey compared to the other too but if it's worth it I could stretch to that price?

I know you've decided but just to say i got a Toshiba Regza 32" XV series hooked up to a Win7 Pc, Xbox and PS3. Everything looks amazing, no trail, and game & pc modes so suits.

I've increased the font size and it looks all good. Running 1080 of course and normally sat a meter to two meters away. I can't comment on lower resolutions as i've not tried any.

I was going to get a Bravia but at the time but i didn't have the extra money to go for one. At the same spec and loads of positive reviews on the Regza i got it at like £100 less.

Ok so here's more of a PC question but I'll ask here for now. My wife's laptop has a HDMI port so I went out and bought a 15 foot cable so she can use it as a computer monitor too (she's not going to be sat 15 feet away) my laptop doesn't have a HDMI port, is there any way I could use the monitor port of my laptop and the headphone port and conect that to the end of the HDMI cable so I could use mine in the same way?

Ok so here's more of a PC question but I'll ask here for now. My wife's laptop has a HDMI port so I went out and bought a 15 foot cable so she can use it as a computer monitor too (she's not going to be sat 15 feet away) my laptop doesn't have a HDMI port, is there any way I could use the monitor port of my laptop and the headphone port and conect that to the end of the HDMI cable so I could use mine in the same way?

Can you not just use VGA?

I run VGA to my Plasma from PC... Sound wise, you just need one of those cables pictured in a post above. From headphone socket to input on the TV. Personally I think you should get sound to match - decent stereo amp or 5.1, if you're gonna have a fairly big HD screen you need big sound to match :)

I've just got some floorstanding speakers and a second hand Sony amp - only came to like £90 in total but it's enhanced the experience massively.

I could but I was just hoping I didn't have to run a cable (or two) with the rest of the cables we have cluttering up our room, but I guess one more isn't going to matter.

Doesn't the VGA send sound too?

Ah ok. So could you hypothetically get something that'll convert a VGA and an audio cable into a HDMI output?

There's probably some kind of powered adaptor box yeah, I should imagine a good one will be quite pricey though.

I just bought a cheap VGA switch and trust me, don't buy cheap! My splitter box gives an awful ghosted image on both screens.

If it's possible, just route the cables under your carpet (Assuming you have carpet) - unless you can afford / find a good adaptor.