Hs33 Water Bleed's

terry_harris

hi all as ive only started getting back into trials since july what do you all do with your hs33 brakes in the winter as they will freeze and

i dont want all the seals to mess up because of the ice and my bike is kept in the shed. is it worth just doin an oil bleed for winter as i still wana

ride in winter or do i just take my brake off my bike and keep in the house thnks people. (Y)

Or just use water which is free. :)

Not sure that's what they were originally designed to use -- surely it doesn't do them any good?? But then if it does no harm then maybe? I don't mind spending a few quid on oil, actually I've never had to bleed my maguras in the last 14 years. Oh yeah - oil wouldn't freeze.

Edited by ellingtj

Not sure that's what they were originally designed to use -- surely it doesn't do them any good?? But then if it does no harm then maybe? I don't mind spending a few quid on oil, actually I've never had to bleed my maguras in the last 14 years.

Its fine to use water and only affects them minimal amounts in the long run, but you cant beat the feel of a water bleed IMO.

Its fine to use water and only affects them minimal amounts in the long run, but you cant beat the feel of a water bleed IMO.

I guess the viscosity is lower so the return is quicker, hmmm never tried a bike with that - I'm not convinced but I am intrigued, I may ask round when I'm next at a comp.

I've used LHM oil after asking on here.

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=106187&st=0&p=1373268&fromsearch=1&#entry1373268

Make ur own mind up. My biggest problem is the syringes, I just break em! (the slider pulls out of the top)

Anyone know of stronger alternatives? I use the tarty ones at the moment BTW.

Edited by CC12345678910

I guess the viscosity is lower so the return is quicker, hmmm never tried a bike with that - I'm not convinced but I am intrigued, I may ask round when I'm next at a comp.

Did you sign up and then stop riding for a while or something?

I'm incredibly surprised you've never tried, let alone heard about people using water bleeds if you've been riding since '03.

I thought it was like... the first "bodge" anyone and everyone did.

Bad bleed then, it shouldn't make any difference to the feel.

Just thought I'd highlight this point again. If a brake's spongey, it's not because of the fluid! (Unless it has air bubbles in it - one of the issues with using tap water..)

Using water does work well, and its lower viscosity makes a huge difference in the feel of your brake. However, aside from potential air bubles (it's worth boiling the water first), it also does show to corrode the Aluminium inside your brake. This can be seen from that nasty grey greasy substance that appears around the seals.

We've been prototyping a trials-specific brake fluid for a couple of years and has been in testing since then. There's one brake still going from an original bleed with phat phluid 18 months ago, having been ridden regularly and never even topped up. It still feels as great as it did when it was first bled! PHATPHLUID will be on sale next month. :)

Hay what i do is I take the brake off the bike and pull the pads off. Then take the bleed bolts out and put it in the bath full of water. Bleed it with a syringe untill you see all the air come out of the leaver. Then put the bolts in BUT make sure the bleed bolt holes don't come out of the water because air will get in the brake and make it fell crap agen. Then its done..give it a go it works for me really well.

Also i have had water in my brake for ages and it has never froze in my brake over the winter.

Hope it helps and that its clear to you.

How would i go about getting a pair of your pads off you mike?

Thanks

I have anti-freeze for 4 years now and still going strong only had 1 bleed never touched it again

I used the following:

1 sink basin for kitchen cheap ass plastic one out of asda

Anti freeze aquired from work ( any will do )

Syringe and bleed hose with barb

Water

remove brake and curl it up and cable tie it so it fits into basin, tpa all way out

fill basin with hot/warm water

dunk brake in and remove bleed screws work brake and bleed with syringe with water to remove oil/dirt

remove tools and brake and syringe wash oil/water and start fresh clean basin

fill basin with cold antifreeze (the colder the better get more in )and bleed brake with syring, but put bleed bolt in at slave loose to slightly pressurise and squeeze air out

squeze syringe slowly tighten all screws under antifreeze remove brake and tools, poor antifreeze into contaniers for futer use

NOTE:

you can play about with completely removing lever and pin/tpa then bleed but be carefull you dont push the master piston out, i tried it worked really well but it shoved the pads in slightly when i put lever back on so i slackened bleed screw till they return and you have a small pressure in the lines so no lag and any antifreeze/air if trapped cant compression any more and work perfect for me never touched it since

Did you sign up and then stop riding for a while or something?

I'm incredibly surprised you've never tried, let alone heard about people using water bleeds if you've been riding since '03.

I thought it was like... the first "bodge" anyone and everyone did.

Been riding since 96, never stopped, looks like people around me have been using it for years - just never came to my attention. Also, never had to bleed my brakes over the years even though I had a magura service kit since I bought my first set so no never looked for a 'bodge'.

Edited by ellingtj