Videos And Their Songs

aener

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is it uncool to use "other peoples' music"?

Always had these thoughts, but was inspired to make the thread by the recent Jack Chinnery video.

He used Everloving (Moby, I believe), which was also used in "CLS - The End", for those that don't know.

I was astonished that he'd do this.

Whilst perhaps not quite disrespectful, it does seem very bad manners - especially when the video is a very good one/very well known.

I know it's not just me, as other people mentioned it, but I'd like to know what everyone thinks.

I understand that as videos get older, less new riders see them - but it seems to be less insulting the older they are, anyway.

It's like if BMW used the same music as Audi in an advert - but with different reasoning.

In my mind, there's enough music in the world that no 2 trials vids ever need to use the same piece. Obviously it's impossible to know for sure always, but when it's a well known video then there's not really any excuse.

When I put something out which is a bit more involved than hopping on a few pallets, I'll be probably using local bands so that I'm certain I wont be treading on anyones toes (Y)

I think it's weird and kinda cool when you think about this properly.

A song like The Funeral, it just kinda sticks to the riders video if it made such an impact. I wouldn't think anyone would even try that song with their video. Not at all because their riding isn't on par, but because it's just kinda their song! Weird huh

It's a lot more of a big deal in the BMX world, and I can sympathise with people who feel a bit pissed off that someone's "stolen" their song. If it's just whatever's in the charts at the moment then I don't really see it as much of an issue, but if you've gone to a lot of trouble trying to find that perfect song, and listened to a lot of obscure music, bought some albums, etc., then two weeks later someone bites that song because they heard it and thought "That sounds good, I want that" it seems a bit 'rude'. Equally, it always seems like a sort of "I can use it better than you can!" sort of thing. If you're using it for a totally different video, it almost seems like you're sort of saying that the original one wasn't the best use of the song, in a way... But yeah, mainly, if you've gone to the effort of finding a song and then someone snakes it instantly it does suck. I accidentally used one of Andy T's songs for that roadtrip edit and really wish I hadn't simply because there is so much music around you shouldn't really need to. C'est la vie...

I think it depends entirely how well or the big the previous work was.

With CLS "The End", it works perfectly, the music is very matched and compliments CLS' riding style.

But let's just say someone used a similar moving track, but did not represent this in their editing or style of riding, then it is a wasted opportunity and allows for people to do better.

I think it goes for anything in life, let's say you created a new product that was completely unique on the market and was effectively perfect in all aspects with no downfalls to it. That product would be done and dusted, and to imitate it or produce an alternative that does not meet the previous version's high standard is morally wrong.

But take for instance, someone who comes up with an original idea but doesn't quite tick all the boxes which it should do to succeed and essentially fails. I think that leaves the door open for someone to come in and improve on that original idea.

Edited by Captain Scarlet