Preparing For The 2011 V.a.t Storm.

Rusevelt

Well, they sort of do.

Everyone was buzzing about the 15% VAT change a while back, yet didn't really seem to realise that there'd have to be the opposite at some point. We'll see how it goes I guess. Main issue for me personally is going to be fuel - it's already pretty frickin' expensive, so instantly adding a few more p per litre isn't great. When I first moved to Blackpool it was 107.9 for diesel - the same place is now charging 120.9. Not great, as I'm pretty sure the quality isn't suddenly that extra %age better :rolleyes:

Doesn't the government realise that they will effectively cripple the country even further than they are doing already. Forget double dip recession, we potentially talking about heading for depression on those who will be hardest hit.

Edited by Rusevelt

Well, they sort of do.

Everyone was buzzing about the 15% VAT change a while back, yet didn't really seem to realise that there'd have to be the opposite at some point. We'll see how it goes I guess. Main issue for me personally is going to be fuel - it's already pretty frickin' expensive, so instantly adding a few more p per litre isn't great. When I first moved to Blackpool it was 107.9 for diesel - the same place is now charging 120.9. Not great, as I'm pretty sure the quality isn't suddenly that extra %age better :rolleyes:

Get some shares in BP and hope to offset your extra expenditure :P

Personally I'm looking forward to it.

Im pretty sure alot of shops didn't actually change their prices when the 15% VAT came about.... :shifty: In fact I know that a few didn't!

Think this is going to affect us all in a slight way per purchase, which if we looked on every purchase we make would be quite a large amount of money...if that makes sense?

Im pretty sure alot of shops didn't actually change their prices when the 15% VAT came about.... :shifty: In fact I know that a few didn't!

Think this is going to affect us all in a slight way per purchase, which if we looked on every purchase we make would be quite a large amount of money...if that makes sense?

I thought legally they would of had to? - BUT I know that Tesco changed the prices on their database so that the prices were exactly the same as what they were before. So people thought they were paying less, yet they were paying exactly the same. Very sneaky if you ask me!

Yeah i noticed that my local Cooperative food store charges different prices for the same item even though there are 3 stores in the same local area. So yeah its kinda lame but it just means that i have to get certain items from one local store and visa-versa.

Doesn't the government realise that they will effectively cripple the country even further than they are doing already. Forget double dip recession, we potentially talking about heading for depression on those who will be hardest hit.

I never knew you were so well informed! Maybe you should go into politics or become an advisor etc?

• Like 2

I don't think most people will bother.

I know at work when it went down to 15% we initially changed the prices on the tills then a week later we didn't bother, no-one questioned the difference, in fact it was easier as they didn't have to have the small handful of change back rather than a penny.

As said, petrol is gonna be the worst hit, I'm 19 and in the 3 years that I have been on the road in some form it's gone up by almost 40 pence a litre! that's absolute madness!

On the general talk of things going up, why is it that televisions and consumer electronics/gadgets can always continually drop in price, yet bicycles/bicycle industries are always faced with price rises? Just don't understand the logic? :unsure:

Don't forget how damn cheap England is to live in at the moment, the country's dire compared to many! Fuel, food and most things are loads more expensive on the continent. It's not just that everything's expensive here, it's that most of us can't afford the luxurious lives we expect to live. Wonder why that is...

As said, fuel's the main thing. However overall I don't think it'll be that big a deal. I thought about it when it went from 17.5-15% and if you think that if you were to buy a £10,000 car, the difference due to VAT decrease/increase is only ~£250 it's hardly worth bothering about.

As said, fuel's the main thing. However overall I don't think it'll be that big a deal. I thought about it when it went from 17.5-15% and if you think that if you were to buy a £10,000 car, the difference due to VAT decrease/increase is only ~£250 it's hardly worth bothering about.

Agreed, I'm pretty sure no-one on here can truely say they were actually noticably better off while we had the 15% VAT rate...

If anything it was more of a gimmick to get us to spend more under the illusion that we had loads more to spend, whereas the reality was that a few less pence on everything we buy is not going to make a difference. As someone who keeps a good eye on my finanaces I can say without a doubt that it made no difference to my outgoings.

The increase to 20% in my view will have the same marginal effect on people's individual lives, but add all those marginal increases together for the whole county and the government will actually receive a decent amount to help the defecit.

Besides, fuel prices vary more than the 2.5% VAT increase anyway...

On the general talk of things going up, why is it that televisions and consumer electronics/gadgets can always continually drop in price, yet bicycles/bicycle industries are always faced with price rises? Just don't understand the logic? :unsure:

If suckers keep buying stuff when they crank the prices up, the prices will stay up.

On the other hand, people buy TVs on which is cheapest, and there are more TV buying people than cyclists, I'd've thought.

Cheap bullshit bikes are pretty cheap.

Does no-one else think that it's madly cheap to live in the UK now and has been for years? If you look back to the 70s, the average family went on holiday once a year, had one telly and one car. Now everyone has mobile phones, computers, several tellys in the house, games consoles, more clothes than you can wear in a fortnight etc. It's a bit of a dip but nothing to cry about. The worst is yet to come when the country as to pay off the big debt that labour took out to bail out the banks. A few months ago I read somewhere that the country as a whole isn't generating enough profit to even pay the interest on the load it's that big.

For the average family, I don't think there has ever been a better time to live than the last 5 years or so.

Edited by Muel
  • Like 1