Splined Freewheels

Luke Rainbird

I know that I'm not the only one who's said that screwing on freewheels and sprockets is a bit silly, so you might be interested in this.

Thanks to Mr Dark for letting me know someone had finally taken it on board and was looking at the idea (Y)

http://www.sunnbicycle.com/francais/actualites/article/premiere-mondiale-atomz

splinedfreewheel.png

Runs an HG spline. Excellent.

For now, this is the first move towards the system so there aren't any cranks available to run them, though presumably Atomz will be solving this (Y)

To hold them on the cranks/hub you'd just have a small threaded lockring, as with current splined rear hubs. Spline takes the load from the freewheel, lockring undergoes very minimal axial loads putting negligible force through the threads (unlike current freewheels)

If other manufacturers realise that actually, this is how things should have been for years now then we're onto a winner!

Spline takes the load from the freewheel, lockring undergoes very minimal axial loads putting negligible force through the threads (unlike current freewheels)

Can you explain that any simpler?

I still don't fully understand why there is anything wrong with threaded freewheels besides them been awful to take off!

Can you explain that any simpler?

I still don't fully understand why there is anything wrong with threaded freewheels besides them been awful to take off!

That's one of the main reasons. But a splined interface is better capable at taking the loads applied to them than a screw thread. No more stripped free wheel/crank threads, no seized threads and no cross threading. Stronger more durable interface which has the added bonus of being a darn sight easier to take on and off, gone are the days where you need a 4 foot scaffold pole in your tool kit.

if you make a really hard pedal kick, would it not rip the spline?

It's exactly the same splined interface as used on the majority of bikes Road and MTB's with gears, it's also used on the Hope Pro2 Trials and the Chris King Single speed hub. The Shimano HG (Hyper Glide), so it's a standard with a fairly proven track record.

I would love to see this happen! Hope they make a matching crank arm as they may be expecting us to run these on a rear fixed splined hub..

I discussed this with Deng around 2-3 years ago, his reply was that it's a good idea but changing an industry standard is tough work.

Well he's tryed changing the trials standard bottom brackets, surely this isn't much different? If other manufacturers step in with this idea too it'll be sweeeeet :)

It's exactly the same splined interface as used on the majority of bikes Road and MTB's with gears, it's also used on the Hope Pro2 Trials and the Chris King Single speed hub. The Shimano HG (Hyper Glide), so it's a standard with a fairly proven track record.

yeah i remembered that they where running this to, so it works just fine:)

as long as manufactures stick to the HG standard this will make things alot easier. Also if for example a rider had a fixed 6spd hub ie onza, viz! ect. If you so wished to have it become a freewheeling rear wheel you could almost infinatly adjust your chainline with a SS kit and your freewheel.

Prepare to herald new, higher crank prices too if this becomes the norm. One of the benefits of threaded systems is that they're a lot cheaper to produce, meaning crank prices don't have to jump up. Equally, until a freewheel as good as the SL comes along, I don't think I'd jump over to an Atomz setup purely to be able to take my freewheel off fractionally more easily. I don't really ever need to do it anyway, and with the correct tool, a vice and a long bar normal threaded freewheels are easy enough to take off anyway. The main thing though is just whether the freewheels are actually going to be any good. The ones as standard on the Quark 2s weren't that great at all, so unless they've dramatically improved the spring/pawls and not just put a splined section on there I just don't really see it as being worth it.

It's cool they're trying it I suppose, but there are a lot of other parts of a trials bike I'd look at developing and refining before splined freewheels.