Echo Urbans Snap

Franksx2005

Was out riding earlier and my forks decided to break while riding done a slope with about a foot drop at the bottom. Wasn't doin anything special, literally just rising down it and as I landed off the drop the forks snapped just above the maggie mounts and I face planted a curb! I was wearing a helmet luckily. my friend said I was knocked out for a min or so, and when o came too was all a blur to me

I was under the impression that Urbans were really strong. I had a set of SL's snap in the same place, but nether thought the Urbans would do this.

The SL's

Any suggestion on what forks and helmet to get next?

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

Edited by Franksx2005

Was out riding earlier and my forks decided to break while riding done a slope with about a foot drop at the bottom. Wasn't doin anything special, literally just rising down it and as I landed off the drop the forks snapped just above the maggie mounts and I face planted a curb! I was wearing a helmet luckily. my friend said I was knocked out for a min or so, and when o came too was all a blur to me

I was under the impression that Urbans were really strong. I had a set of SL's snap in the same place, but nether thought the Urbans would do this.

fox flux helmet or giro hex

echo lites (Y) hope your okay

Edited by Balls Deep trials team

Was out riding earlier and my forks decided to break while riding done a slope with about a foot drop at the bottom. Wasn't doin anything special, literally just riding down it and as I landed off the drop the forks snapped just above the maggie mounts and I face planted a curb! I was wearing a helmet luckily. my friend said I was knocked out for a min or so, and when o came too was all a blur to me

I was under the impression that Urbans were really strong. I had a set of SL's snap in the same place, but never thought the Urbans would do this.

EDIT: :) Sorry, I like spellchecking ;):giggle:

Edited by KiDsOn15

My Urbans cracked on the maggy mounts after about 4 weeks... i'm now running a disc. But from what i've seen the Trialtech forks seem to be the maggy users fork of choice. I know Andrei Burton seems to rate his ( they've not snapped yet and they've lasted twice as long as a set of urbans last him.

I love my Giro Xen, some not too bad deals on CRC for them too. I'd really reccomend trying a range of helmets on as they all fit differently.

Pretty clean snap, looks like there was no warning?

Trialtechs seem to be the general consensus so I'd say go for those.

As for helmets, spend as much as you can on a decent helmet, Giro make some very nice ones, but if you prefer piss pot style helmets (Like myself.) you can't really go wrong with 661 or fox.

Forks ALWAYS give warning before they snap, there will definitely be a dark grey area where the forks have been cracked before they broke.

My Rockman forks didn't, looking at where they snapped you could see it was cracked before they finalyl went, but as they snapped at the point where they taper from the crown race seat you couldn't see this unless you'd taken them off the bike and noticed. They certainly didn't feel like they were flexing to give me warning in that respect.

Id send deng a picture just to say how pants his products are! he even has a section on his website for complaints and queries about parts braking and how they could be improved? Zhi forks *** the zhi prototype forks ive got are urban replicas but the 4 bolt mounts are at the front.

I think Adam was referring more to people saying their 4-bolt forks broke at the mounts 'without warning' when they pretty much can't.

It may give you a warning if you inspect your forks for cracks, but they did not do anything different while riding to suggest they was going to snap.

My old echo urbans started cracking when I was using HS in the 4 bold weld area, sold them to a novice guy who runs disc and they are still alive! Also had try-all 2010 model and the were quite strong but were a little bit flexy, now running rockman v2s and done fair few gaps to front or up to front and they are still strong and stiff, and they are about 4-5 months old. Trialtech should be one of the best out there. Nothing lasts forever!