I Want A Sidehop Machine...

ogre

hey all, i can do most moves quite well but my sidehops are shockingly poor, i used to be alright at them, since then i've lost them, i'm on an 07 pitbull (long low bb) what bar and stem combo would be best for sidehops? currently got a V!Z forged stem (120'x20) and 20mm of stackers with trialtech riser bars...

25mm stackers, echo stem 130 x15 and trialtech bars work well for me.... its just the case of trying and putting effort into it..

aye but that different stem will make the bike lower and longer. I went the opposite way (from that echo stem to a trialtech 120 by 17) on my simple and the difference for me was profound.

I'm about to change to my stem and bars I'm going to buy TT stem (120x17) and try all rage 09 bars (Y)

An what do you propose mr ogre will get from this peace of information.

Anyway long and low seems to be the trend for making it more of a pogo/sidehopping machine.

I haven't rode in ages, when are you guys next out? :)

hey all, i can do most moves quite well but my sidehops are shockingly poor, i used to be alright at them, since then i've lost them, i'm on an 07 pitbull (long low bb) what bar and stem combo would be best for sidehops? currently got a V!Z forged stem (120'x20) and 20mm of stackers with trialtech riser bars...

That my old set up ,, echo 130 x 30 and PRO bars ( riser) ,, pretty fun for tgs

1250447370_DSC06848.JPG

I ran a Trialtech stem and bars on my Simtra, not stacks. Was perfect for the siddlesze0rzeeeahhoo00rsszzzmayteeee.

EDIT: Well it felt perfect to me, but I couldn't sidehop any higher than about 35" when I was riding at my best.

Edited by Muel

aye but that different stem will make the bike lower and longer. I went the opposite way (from that echo stem to a trialtech 120 by 17) on my simple and the difference for me was profound.

when u got ur helmet the change to ur head size was profound

Here's the deal.

A low, longer stem gives your bike a more upright position on the back wheel. This means it feels 'easier' to sit on the back wheel. This is why a lot of TGS riders go on about how nice certain bikes are to sit on the back wheel, so when you're next to a wall about to sidehop it you can just chill out for a bit. The lower front end also means you can get a lower tuck over the bike, also improving style points.

Those are pretty much the only benefits. For everything else it's more of a hinderance than a help. If you feel that your sidehops are that lacking that you're willing to let the rest of your setup suffer just so you can go up walls sideways slightly higher than you used to be able to then go for it. Something like a Trialtech Sport Forged with no spacers would be ideal. Don't forget to roll those bars forwards too so they only feel natural when you're in a really upright backhopping stance (Y)