Please Help Me Settle This

Joshm1991

Hello again guys and gals!!

Right.. My head is all over the place atm!! Ive been offered one of these for under 100 quids but then got this suggested to me aswell and apparently its better..

Which one is the better buy and will be the best on my Phase 1.2?? I kinda figured Hope was a pretty decent make when it comes to trials but then people are saying Shimano and Avid BB7s are better!! I'm bloody confused!! :S:D

Thanks for helping me out peeps!!

Joosh

Edited by Joshm1991

Well the Hopes are made for trials, don't know much about the shimano, but most people either go with the avid bb7's or the hope trial. I personally prefer the hopes as I never really got along with the avids. But people prefer the avids as they're easy to fix being cable instead of hydraulic. The avids can be seriously powerful too if you have the right conditions, but the hopes have more consistency.

I've been running the same hope front brake for around 2 years and never had a single problem. I also hammer the shit out of my bike, so they take a lot of abuse. It's never even had to be re bled.

I personally will never bother using anything else because hopes just work so well and give so little hassle.

I can't help but think that the stories you hear of problems with hope brakes are down to user error not workmanship.

Well the Hopes are made for trials, don't know much about the shimano, but most people either go with the avid bb7's or the hope trial. I personally prefer the hopes as I never really got along with the avids. But people prefer the avids as they're easy to fix being cable instead of hydraulic. The avids can be seriously powerful too if you have the right conditions, but the hopes have more consistency.

what a load of bullshit !

Go with the hope rather than the shimano

Or do the right thing and go with a bb7

Edited by Dave Anscombe

My experience of hopes has been a mixed bag: -

The hope minis on my santacruz are pretty damn good, consistent braking and feel with plenty of power for normal riding; no where near enough bite or hold for trials use though.

The mono trial has to be honest a real disappointment overall, bite and hold is ok, better than the minis, however it feels mushy as hell and its possible to see the calliper spreading as you pull the lever to the bars. I believe a lot of the bad feel is due to it being a mk1 mono trial and the newer versions are much stiffer. Since owning the mono trial it has suffered from sticky pistons, I suspect a new set of seals will help that though.

Just fitted a bb7 and although the lever feel isn't quite as smooth as a hydro disk the bite and hold eclipses my mono trial ten fold! The huge range of adjustment is great once you have you're head around how to adjust it and if you're capable of maintaining cable brakes then I can only recommend one :)

Edited by forteh

Hello again guys and gals!!

Right.. My head is all over the place atm!! Ive been offered one of these for under 100 quids but then got this suggested to me aswell and apparently its better..

Which one is the better buy and will be the best on my Phase 1.2?? I kinda figured Hope was a pretty decent make when it comes to trials but then people are saying Shimano and Avid BB7s are better!! I'm bloody confused!! :S:D

Thanks for helping me out peeps!!

Joosh

I have a suggestion. Echo Tr Disc Brake and take the pads out that come with it and put standard hope mono pads in. Total rrp at the time of this post is £113.30 from tarty bikes.

Brand New and amazing power.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/hydraulic_disc_brakes/echo_tr_hydraulic_disc/c558p11614.html

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/disc_brake_pads/hope_monotech_trial_standard/c83p303.html

First off, thanks agian for all your replys and suggestions!! I greatly appreciate it!!

I think due to the ammount of rep about the Hopes, I think i'll go for that over the BB7!! Simply for the fact that I'd rather not go cable untill I know EXACTLY what im doing with them!! BUUUUUUUUTTT..... Then this came up...

I have a suggestion. Echo Tr Disc Brake and take the pads out that come with it and put standard hope mono pads in. Total rrp at the time of this post is £113.30 from tarty bikes.

Brand New and amazing power.

What are the Echo brakes like?? I've heard theres some issues with the seals and stuff?? People have found that the seals on the leaver tend to leak fluid everywhere?? And like Mark says, if I can get a Hope for under 100 quid then what would be the benifit of the Echo over the Hope except its newer and lighter??

Thanks very much again for your help!! :) I owe you guys big time!!

Joosh

Just go for the Hope. You'll waste time and money with anything else. From my own experiences, they really do just work.

Agree completely with Sam, all the complaints about them are generally caused by the owner being a mong and not knowing how to set a brake up, or how to maintain it. Hope's customer service is epic too.

So I think thats settled then!! I'm gunna buy the Hope!! :) I might go with the BB7 at a later date but I'd have to try one first before I set about buying on for myself!! :)

Out of the two you linked to, the Hope is a better brake for trials. But - it's more expensive.

I'm not worried about the price of the Hope 'cos I've been offered one for under £100 so it'll work out more beneficial in the long run I guess!! :P

Thanks very much again!!

Joosh

Edited by Joshm1991

Is the Hope brand new? Is it definitely a Mono/Tech Trial (not an X2)?

It's not BRAND new but the guy said it has just had new pads and said it was in "excellent condition"!! The only reason he removed it was because he got a team green one!!

Heres a picture of it so you can decide what it is for me!! :P

Cheers

Joosh

post-29905-0-74274600-1320938025_thumb.j

It's a Tech lever, with a Trial caliper, but looking at the state of the bolts and the fact that the bore cap has been changed, I wouldn't say it's all that new. Probably fine but if the rotor or pads are a bit shagged it won't work well at all (which is the problem with most used Hope brakes).

Just to throw another spanner in the works...It also depends what your going to use it for. I found the trials pads in my hope glazed over when using them to slow down from high speed. The hope would fade over time using it like this. I would use it for fast G turns and fakie nose manuals and would eventually slip through.

The BB7 with all the power is has is just too difficult to use for the kind of moves mentioned. I found it very hard to apply the specific force needed to do fakie nose manuals without it locking up. Absolutely no problem gapping to front with it though. It grabs and holds very well.

I use an avid hydro disc at the moment and find it good for coping with heat produced by usage and it also locks when enough pressure is applied.

The Hope is top of the league for quality of brake performance overall i agree.

I find if there is a fade out from a hope mono generally its 1. leak 2. glazed pad 3.contanimation or 4.Air in the line

The Hope Mono is a monster if you get it right and use it for mainly short high friction grabbing and braking. It will stay that way for a long time as well. If you use it to do stoppies and modulated stopping it will loose the full potential of its High friction ability but the pad will last you for a loooooong time. You just end up sometimes sending it to front wheel and getting frustrated it has lost that bite to it.

Going to have to buy myself a pair of hope pro pads to believe and see it for my self that they are better than a Hope standard original mono pad. Any performance test out there of it? vids or links?

Looks like you have a nice brake there good luck with it dude. ;)

Edited by JackMeek

3.contanimation or 4.Air in the line

Well thats not exactly Hopes fault....

Either brakes will be aright for you. The Hope is more sensitive to change though, the BB7 you can whack on set up badly and go out and ride. With a Hope I would be more concerned about facing my disk mounts, re bleeding, changing the pads etc. before putting it on my bike. Needless to say I always went for the fail safe power of a BB7 203mm.

Either brakes will be aright for you. The Hope is more sensitive to change though, the BB7 you can whack on set up badly and go out and ride. With a Hope I would be more concerned about facing my disk mounts, re bleeding, changing the pads etc. before putting it on my bike. Needless to say I always went for the fail safe power of a BB7 203mm.

Agree with simps about the fuss with hopes. I have a mono mini sat in my tool box for the past 2 years that needs new seals, bleeding, new pads and hose bits. I just can't be bothered to sort all that out. All those bits would cost me near £30 or more, I bought a complete 2nd hand 180mm BB7 for £35 in the end and never had a problem with it and it was beast.

another vote for the hope brake here....had it on 2 years with not one problem

i have had a play with a number of other monotrials though, and they havnt felt quite as nice...mine just seemed to feel a little 'bitier'

never spent time setting it up, facing mounts, playing with shims or anything like that...its just been stuck on new forks and worked a treat...can imagine it will continue to do so for a good time to come

In the name of Dappy from N-dubz "Na Na Na"

Slight wires crossed with what i said. I was listing factors of what could be fade issues. Not a blame directly against Hope the brand. Ha Ha. I love them guys. No i really doo. Since i was little lookng through glass cabinets in small independant bike shops.

Simps you remember that night we did Kicker comp at RadFest i think i have one of your CD's still you blasted away in my car on a different note.