Winter Motivation

terry26rims

Maybe getting a really good coat/ clothes so the weather doesn't make so much difference ???

For me its okay as Im rubbish and trying to learn; Im well up for going outside and having a go.

Sometimes finding a really epic video can be inspiring too...

I tend to find solo rides much more successful if I dream up a fiendishly challenging line beforehand, and go out with the specific mindset of doing it.

It helps if it's a line rather than a move, since you can then make it even harder, but practice each section of it separately, letting the ride be longer :)

It's like school/college/uni projects... Given freedom absolute, it's near impossible to make a start. Given freedom within a prescribed range and things flow a lot easier.

If it's motivation to actually leave the house you need, videos are your friend. I watch one of mine, then one of my idols, then one of mine again and realize just how much more awesome than me they are, which makes me jealous (read: motivated) :P

Edit: You're by no means limited to one line. Think up as many as you can remember/write a list.

Edited by aener

THIS!

Bought some base layers last year that "convert sweat into heat" or some shit like that and they are amazing. I do look like a black condom though If i took the top into my long johns!

i just wack some jeans on, my compression thermal on, tee and a jumper, gloves and i go out! no point being a pansy over it haha

do long johns work?

i just wack some jeans on, my compression thermal on, tee and a jumper, gloves and i go out! no point being a pansy over it haha

do long johns work?

Woops I meant tuck not took. Had a long day driving so my brain's broken.

And well they arent really long johns as such they are just the base layer material in the form of tights almost? Put them under my jeans and they keep me proper proper warm. Its just my.hands that get really cold easily. I need some decent riding gloves. Any ideas?!

There aren't really many good riding gloves that keep your hands particular warm unless you just fully warm up. Most 'warm' gloves tend to be pretty thick, so you just lose all feel of what's going on. I used to just wear my Hebos and hope for the best, but then I ended up buying some super cheap wool gloves from Topman or H&M or somewhere like that, wore them 'til my hands got warm, then just rode without. Seemed to work reasonably well.

Base layers are definitely a good shout though. I've got a couple of long sleeve ones that I usually wear from pretty much now 'til March :P I hate wearing thick layers of clothing (like big thick hoodies or jackets), so wearing a few thin layers suits me fine. They really do work too - when I go out riding without them on I feel way colder! You can get some pretty cheap ones from places like TK Maxx, although sometimes the fit can be a bit sketchy on them. The best ones I've found so far are the Heattech ones from Uniqlo. Worn them every winter for the past 4 years and they've been really good.

In terms of motivation, I just remind myself I'll be warm pretty quickly, and the fact I really want to go riding usually covers the rest. I spent all last winter filming for the Clean vid so having to travel round and meet friends made riding a lot more fun, and made me more motivated to do it.

I am also suffering from a lack of motivation! Luckily there's a warehouse i can go to and set up indoors. As far as staying warm just wrap up! I have a set of raceface DIY gloves and they are sooo warm! Failing that i go into the hallway and practice getting on my back wheel.