Onlive

MonsieurMonkey

It's rare that I feel I'm bringing something that may bring so much joy to so many of you.

OnLive has just gone... Live. Basically OnLive is the future of gaming, instead of having a console you stream a video from their servers, of you playing the game on their servers (Remote gaming basically).

Just take a look for yourselves, you can play any of their games for a 30 minute trial, most of the games are cheaper than shops. This really is the future, pretty awesome.

OnLive

I've been following the progress of this in Stuff magazine. It does look pretty good as it's small so easy to take to a mates house and doesn't take up loads of room but stuff like the small game catalogue and poor graphics compared to proper console versions puts me off. Still definately a step in the right direction though!

It's small in the sense that it's completely electronic and all you have is an account? :P

I think right now, you've got to give them a break, they're taking on Sony and Microsoft, they're hardly going to be able to get a back catalogue of every game released on the current consoles. The graphics scale with your net connection, and it always makes sure that you are running at 100% speed as opposed to looking nice. But I'm sure that will get better with time too.

It's small in the sense that it's completely electronic and all you have is an account? :P

I think right now, you've got to give them a break, they're taking on Sony and Microsoft, they're hardly going to be able to get a back catalogue of every game released on the current consoles. The graphics scale with your net connection, and it always makes sure that you are running at 100% speed as opposed to looking nice. But I'm sure that will get better with time too.

They do a TV kit which consists of a micro console and a pad for £70, thats what I was referring to.

They do a TV kit which consists of a micro console and a pad for £70, thats what I was referring to.

I wondered how they'd do it through TVs, just assumed it'd be for internet only TVs. I guess £70 does make it a lot less appealing in it's current form.

I heard it's utter shit. Lad from work tested it on his Virgin "faster than the speed of light costs the earth" connection.

I've just been bashing it a little bit on my Uni connection, no lag, nothing like that, works pretty well, like I said, graphics aren't amazing. But right now I can't afford a comp that would be able to run amazing graphics anyway, so it's hardly making any odds. As a big PC gamer I like it, especially in my current impoverished state, but I'm sure once I'm working I'll make a nice new desktop beast and never think about it again :P

It was more for people in my situation, who just want to bash PC games a bit without wanting to buy a top spec comp. (My laptop has 1gb of RAM....)

Edited by MonsieurMonkey

Ive got a 3 month free trial on the £6.99 a month unlimited play thing via work... dont really see a downside to it(because its free) i dont game enough to pay £7 a month, but if I did i think it would be worth it.

it works, graphics arent that brilliant(but then im used to an i7 rig) but after a few minutes playing you tend to not notice anything. and just play.

It's certainly the future but not for now, internet connection speed isn't good enough.

How do they get round lag? I'd have though you'd press a button and it'd take 200ms for the game to react.

• Like 1

They have said it will always be under 80ms but independent measurements on pretty beefy connections vary from 60 to 250.

Is ping on way, or there and back?

Same way as xbox live or ps3 gaming really! Instead of what you do going from your xbox or pc, to a server, then to another players pc - It goes from yours, to a server, and back again!

That's a little different though. Firing a gun at your friend head and missing because of the lag is one thing. But to press a button and your character takes a quarter of a second to respond. :ermm:

I don't get why anyone thinks ping would be any different? If anything it would be quicker as the server is hosting everything (including everyone you're playing against) so every packet goes to the server, meets, and you see the video of what happens.

Packets there, video back. As opposed to packets there and back to create the video at your end.

I don't get why anyone thinks ping would be any different? If anything it would be quicker as the server is hosting everything (including everyone you're playing against) so every packet goes to the server, meets, and you see the video of what happens.

Packets there, video back. As opposed to packets there and back to create the video at your end.

Yeah but the video will have a delay on it's way back to you.

But thats what I mean - the majority of the time, there is no lag with xbl and stuff! So it shouldnt be any different!

There will be, but I'm sure it's not noticeable enough. If you get lag with pressing buttons on your controller, I bet it would become noticeable. But then again, I haven't tried it yet.

I've watched a few reviews on youtube and it seems any type of lag in that regard isn't even an issue as has been said in here, which is surprising but there we go.

This'll be the future of gaming certainly. 5 years down the road and there won't be any consoles like we have today. They'll just be streaming devices, or not even that because most TV's will have built in internet.

Yeah maybe a little too bold. Maybe more like 10 ish. But certainly i don't think anyone can doubt it's ultimately going to end up that way. As graphics get better, it's going to be much more efficient to process it all in one place. And now with the boom in mobile devices that can take advantage of this technology it's only going to make it even more desirable.

I really do think whatever comes out after the ps3 and xbox 360 will probably be the last of the consoles. Then all you'll have is a box that can stream HD and a controller.

Yeah maybe a little too bold. Maybe more like 10 ish. But certainly i don't think anyone can doubt it's ultimately going to end up that way. As graphics get better, it's going to be much more efficient to process it all in one place. And now with the boom in mobile devices that can take advantage of this technology it's only going to make it even more desirable.

I really do think whatever comes out after the ps3 and xbox 360 will probably be the last of the consoles. Then all you'll have is a box that can stream HD and a controller.

You might be right, but I find it worrying that it'll just make us all become more dependant on 'being plugged in'. Never cool