My Brakes Aren't Working :s

JJ_ONeill

Just need a bit of help really guys - went into my local bike store yesterday and got an Onza Comp wheelset, and changed to a front hydraulic rim brake instead of cable disc.

Since the new wheels are so smooth the brakes don't work AT ALL in the wet, so I'm thinking I'll get them ground (my rear magura needs a change of pads anyways), but both slip quite badly in the dry as well which is fairly unusual :/

Maybe I'm being thick and just need a change of pads and a wheel grind but could it have anything to do with the setup?

Thanks! :)

What pads are you using? If you're using magura blacks or reds you may aswell use your tongue on the rim rather than them.

I'm using new blacks on a smooth rim on my onza tbird and with my 14stone bouncing about on them they hold fine

Granted aftermarket pads are better than blacks, however do not disregard the fact if you actually bother to really set up a magura properly with a good booster, spotlessly clean rim blacks will still work well with maintenance.....

What do you think we did before all the aftermarket pads???????

Absolute bullshit.

Either you can't ride or your definition of "fine" is very different to mine 140 miles away

Probably can't ride. i know I'm no pro as I'm still trying to get pedal hops but they hold fine for me. if anything they hold better than my adamant a1 running hs33 greens on an old grind with a bigger massively stiffer booster end of the day its all opinions. i can run around all day shouting the sun shines out of my ass. just because i might be mad enough to do it doesn't mean its true you might think its bull and that it shines out your ass. makes no difference really.

blacks and a smooth rim work for me that's my opinion

Probably can't ride. i know I'm no pro as I'm still trying to get pedal hops but they hold fine for me. if anything they hold better than my adamant a1 running hs33 greens on an old grind with a bigger massively stiffer booster end of the day its all opinions. i can run around all day shouting the sun shines out of my ass. just because i might be mad enough to do it doesn't mean its true you might think its bull and that it shines out your ass. makes no difference really.

blacks and a smooth rim work for me that's my opinion

The only problem with that is, I walk in and say, there's the sun in the sky. Which is a fact. That beats opinion.

magura blacks pffffff tried on a smooth rim, then with tar, then on a grind, would not hold

come back and give a review when you tested some real pads like tnn lgm or rockman cnc pads

standard magura pads are utter s*** in my opinion

Edited by josh barker

• 3 weeks later...

Ok my blacks slipped last night lol

roll on the “told you so“ comments

end of the day I'm a noob and am just commenting from my experiance so far and untill last night blacks had held fine

I did actually find that magura koolstops and blacks worked fine with a massively harsh grind on a DX rim and the old monty tar spray.

But, the tar became a nightmare and they didnt want to let go.

But if you cant afford new pads, mid ride or whatnot, this is a tempery fix.

But then moved to Echo pads. and they are so much better, just because no tar was needed and less of a harsh grind, and a better rim.

I think all saving is out the window at the minute but my way of thinking is that now i have found the limit of the blacks i must be improving as they were easily holding where i wanted when i wanted before so i must be pushing what they are capable of

im using genuine coustellier pads that i ggot off jack meek, they are wickidly insane on a light grind!

Same mate, put them on tonight on a dead grind pretty much - spent like 2 mins setting them up as we were gearing to go. And they were amazing.