Original Rimjam Pads.

LEON

I have a set of new rimjams (oldest model I think) but I googled them & the 1st thing I saw was a broken pair.

I use a smooth rim & a bit of tar. Do I need to worry? Seems like a lot of material & not much backing, there's not a lot of material sat in the backing either, opinions ta.....

Edited by LEON

Right, just put them on, the bite is amazing, but the thin plastic backings and super soft material is too flexy, I can see it all compress under pressure, too spongy & I have to have the pads a mile away from the rim.

So....what is the the absolute best pad I can buy for a smooth rim? I hate noise, I like a nice solid feeling brake, most rigid pad possible, suggestions? I'm not up for spending £30 on pads but I'm sure there are decent alternatives.

Right, just put them on, the bite is amazing, but the thin plastic backings and super soft material is too flexy, I can see it all compress under pressure, too spongy & I have to have the pads a mile away from the rim.

So....what is the the absolute best pad I can buy for a smooth rim? I hate noise, I like a nice solid feeling brake, most rigid pad possible, suggestions? I'm not up for spending £30 on pads but I'm sure there are decent alternatives.

In that case just buy some cnc backings and use the material in them?

Plastic backings needs to be pretty flexy for the Rimjam pad material because they were deadly when fitted to stiffer plastic backings or cnc. Back around 2008, they were prone to breaking the tabs on magura calipers.

Edited by Rusevelt

Can't help the noise but heatsink yellows on a smooth rim are unbelievable

Can't help the noise but heatsink yellows on a smooth rim are unbelievable

Have to disagree with this, tried both heatsink blue and heatsink yellow on a smooth bite wasn't that good hold was okay.. then got my first grind and they went really good (the yellows) and now they're starting to slip (on some kicks, might have to see what im doing though because it might be a bad anlge im landing at or something)

Have to disagree with this, tried both heatsink blue and heatsink yellow on a smooth bite wasn't that good hold was okay.. then got my first grind and they went really good (the yellows) and now they're starting to slip (on some kicks, might have to see what im doing though because it might be a bad anlge im landing at or something)

In that case you did something wrong,because the are pretty brutal on smooth.

+1 on the Heatsink Yellows.

I ran a cnc backed set on a smooth rim and it was the best brake ever. Zero modulation. Just bite, and silly amounts of hold. They were incredably noisy though.

Will definately be running the setup again on my 26 this summer.

I have a set of new rimjams (oldest model I think) but I googled them & the 1st thing I saw was a broken pair.

I use a smooth rim & a bit of tar. Do I need to worry? Seems like a lot of material & not much backing, there's not a lot of material sat in the backing either, opinions ta.....

These are death pads.. Bought a pair from Bike 2004 or 05? First ride they disintegrated.. Terrible design and the material was like cheese strings.

Let me know how you go..