What's The Best Magura And Why

Timmeh-Time

Best Magura and why  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Best Magura and why?

defiately '05 the TPA on the '99 was crap and broke all the time as mentioned above. The '05 did often crack on the body, but this was eaisly prevented by ensureing the clamp bolt was not over-tightened and if you so desired you could remove the probleatic 90degree overhangs with a dremel, these problems did not affect the physical perfomance of the brake. I have never run a '11 but everyone I know who has used one had problems with them leaking; this problem caused Scott wilson to swap to a vee brake on the front of his Impulse.

04 doesn't come with a 4finger lever and magura never made one

I thought the 04 levers were pretty comfy without needing a 4 finger lever though.

Am I imagining it or does anyone else think like the leverage is better on an 04 lever? By that I mean like you don't need to pull it as much for the pistons to extract from the cylinders in comparison to an 05 lever.

I loved the 05 with a 4 finger lever, well comfy and easy to bleed but the 11 wins for me purely on the clamp desing for the lever. Who cares what it looks like, it's functional and saves fannying about taking grips off. Also I've had 2 sets of 2011's, been running one set for over a year on the original bleed and never had a problem though I may go for a water bleed soon on them.

04 all the way, but then I never had a TPA break and I wasnt me who ended up snapping my lever body. I'd have liked an RB lever blade though...

EDIT: Yea you like this Ash, you lever snapper you :P

Edited by JDâ„¢
  • Like 1

ive only ever had 04s, my last one had an rb lever which was the best brake i ever had. but i got rid of it when i sold my last bike and ive been kicking myself for it ever since.

does nobody make aftermarket levers for pre 04s anymore?

Magura should release a cnc Bodied version of the 05 Magura, without the pointy corner, a split bar clamp, and come supplied with a 4 finger lever and metal tpa.

Only suggested this caus' Im running an old Echo SL lever body with magura internals and a 4 finger lever and its ACE.

Magura should release a cnc Bodied version of the 05 Magura, without the pointy corner, a split bar clamp, and come supplied with a 4 finger lever and metal tpa.

Sorry to be pedantic but that is basically exactly what the '11 is?! But yeah i run an SL with maggie internals as well and its easily the best rim brake I've ever run (when it's working).

In my oppinion... None. They have all failed at something.. This is just my oppinion and experience from what i have come across from what i have used over the years.

04 shape the tpa's use to die quickly and the leverbodys would crack from being tightened to a certain pressure

05 shape- the thread in the lever body for where the leverblade n bolt would go the threads were common for stripping. also i use to get the odd tpa wheel that would seize.

I've even heard a few negative things about the new maggies leaking and being a pain to bleed.

The 2011 is plastic with a metal lever blade. He means an actually 05 lever just cnc'd rather than forged, with the point that it cracks changed slightly with a split clamp

the 2011 has a plastic cover but im pretty sure its cnc underneath, also it has a split bar clamp and doesnt have those weak points the 05 had. If he ment a polished finish that wasnt what he said. They are also available with 4-finger blades. So pretty much all the changes he wants to see can be seen on the 11

Sorry to be pedantic but that is basically exactly what the '11 is?!

No.

The 05 was flawed in that theyre hopelessly weak. Partly due to design, and Id imagine the fact the bodies are cast as against CNC'd is a factor? The only reason I dont want 11's is that theyre horrificaly ugly.

The 05's looked great, and were reliable too. All I suggested was a slightly beefed up, CNC'd body that would increase its strength, while being able to be as easy to maintain as the 05s were, with a split bar clamp to remove the need for tugging off your grips when removing the brake.

4 finger blades, metal tpas, braided hosing.... all were readily available and popular on the 05, with the bonus aftermarket levers could be used also.

I havent seen any spares available for the 11's other than the covers, ebt ports and slaves.

Its rant I know, but Im so picky :P

Edited by Echo Lite 09

The only reason I dont want 11's is that theyre horrificaly ugly.

All I suggested was a slightly beefed up, CNC'd body that would increase its strength,

ok but from your first post all of the defects that you had mentioned have been addressed and corrected by Magura on the 2011 model so it seemed to me that you were telling magura to improve the 05 by redeveloping it (which they have by the creation of the 11) by carrying out all of the changes they made in the development of the 11. And i did not know it was a plastic body which is, in fact, my bad; you learn something new everyday and all that. Im sure i saw a 4finger 2011 blade somewhere and surely older braided hoses would fit anyway or you could get the Hope kit from tartys?

Edited by onza pro series guy