Onza, Bad Rep?

AkuskaUK

Sick list of computers bro.

I think their rep is changing, they are a budget brand and some of their earlier stuff certainly shows it. They have built some real good starter frames (T-Pro mod frame for example) and are starting to get some fairly decent higher end stock frames these days. Some things still need to be improved though, take a look at the Genesis full bike - Onza doesn't have the brand cache it might need on a £1000 bike. Tensile cranks, onza bar and stem etc just seem 'cheap' on a bike like that. No doubt they are fine, but its deemed cheap.

• Like 4

also they're customer service is a bit poor, they used to offer half price replacements on frames, winner, but it's no longer easy to get a replacement...

I wouldn't say that no longer offering half-price replacements is 'bad' customer service though. It was a brilliant service when they offered it, but discontinuing it doesn't equate to bad service.

As stated above, Onza's reputation is steadily improving, and with frames as popular as the 320 and the new top-end 26 frames like the Genesis and the Limey 4, it's easy to see why. Sure, the full build Genesis has some parts that most people would change straight away or straight wouldn't choose if building from scratch, but they're a budget brand, so their full builds will obviously have to use some cheaper parts somewhere. Their starter/beginner range is excellent as well and, in my experience, they're fast becoming one of the most popular (note, popular, not desireable or fantasy) brands in the UK - there are always several Onza bikes at any group ride, event or competition I go to.

A few years ago, I wouldn't have thought about buying an Onza bike, but these days I most certainly would!

• Like 2

I wouldn't say that no longer offering half-price replacements is 'bad' customer service though. It was a brilliant service when they offered it, but discontinuing it doesn't equate to bad service.

That statement though (the one which you're replying to, not yours) kind of proves the whole issue around 'a privilege once given is deemed a right', which is always a sticky point for businesses offering something they might not be able to sustain :(

On topic though, I wouldn't say that I can sense a 'bad' rep around Onza anymore - it's clear they're a budget brand and ultimately you get what you pay for. In this case that's a solid budget bike :)

My opinion from riding a t pro is it's actually a brilliant little bike! I had the same idea about the Rep thing. But i had based it on the fact that quite a few chavs i passed knew what it was. Where as when on the ashton or the echo they aint got a clue what it is... Chav's knowing about thing's generally a bad sign in :)

• Like 2

Onza play a big part in the trials indusrty and have got a big name for them selves, which means they have a lot to live up to. As well as making frames they also support a lot of riders and offer great service now they are settled in at rock n roll bikes.

From my personal experience they are great! and certainly helped me out a great deal through the years.

• Like 1

From my personal experience, they're customer support is terrible, and they're rude.

They have some rubbish designs with poor strength and chain line problems.

I will certainly never be buying from them again.

They are however as already mentioned, a budget brand.

I'd get an echo.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies! My T-rex is custom and the only thing that is onza on it anymore is the frame, stem and bars... I like them but i still get the weird look when people recognise it is an Onza!

Sick list of computers bro.

Can't tell if trolling or being serious...

I think Onza used to have a bad rep, but since they brought out some decent frames they've brought themselves up a bit. They should stop making them steel forks instantly, they're crap end of.

By the way I have a chest of draws made of pine containing:

-15 pairs of boxers

-20 pairs of socks

-A bunch of certificates and earphones

-Random bike parts and a few jiffy bags.

That's from the top draw to the bottom, if it's of any interest to anyone.

• Like 4

The newer paint jobs really suck, especially the stocks! If you looked at the pure and the genesis you would think the Echo would cost at least £100 more.

Onza Ice, comp and 320 were an excellent job though.

They NEED to stop using bashplate mounts on their 'pro series' frames.

Their Ice 2 frames are the nicest things ever. Everyone that rode mine seemed to comment on how 'roomy' it felt while remaining flicky and not stupidly long.

Alas it lasted me a mere 6 months, without a bashplate (run a bashring), minimal impacts on the downtube, and it cracked, through the stress riser that is the bashplate tab on the downtube.

They look amazing, ride nice, and arent too heavy.

Would be silly strong without bashplate mounts.

Maybe onza should produce the Ice 3 :P Same colour, same geo, but no bashmounts!

• Like 1

I've got an onza ice 2, and to be honest I dont think I'll ever get another frame, It's solid, yet light and the geo is bang on for me, they've never been bad in my eyes, they've developed in the same time frame as I have in terms of riding, so I suppose they've always been suited to my level of riding throughout :)

Hi, i have been wondering, why do Onza get such a bad rep? Im using a T-Rex frame at this point in time and i love it... Why so bad?

People need to stop Bitching and show more respect to Onza, if it wasnt for them, I (and probably a lot of people) wouldnt ride trials, if it was expensive...

you wouldn't buy a KOXX straight away would you?

I think its better for a company to take the 'customers' in mind, rather then there own profit,

plus anyone could get into it like younger people because they could get there parents to buy them a bike for xmas, because they wouldn't buy a bike with no seat for over £1000 would they?

and yh they might not all have the best parts as standard, long forks etc but you wouldnt notice it staright away would you? as trials is new to you

also they're customer service is a bit poor, they used to offer half price replacements on frames, winner, but it's no longer easy to get a replacement...

Im surprised they did that anyway? Its a trials bike, its gonna brake and snap, your bashing it on concrete/rocks/rails??

They NEED to stop using bashplate mounts on their 'pro series' frames.

Their Ice 2 frames are the nicest things ever. Everyone that rode mine seemed to comment on how 'roomy' it felt while remaining flicky and not stupidly long.

Alas it lasted me a mere 6 months, without a bashplate (run a bashring), minimal impacts on the downtube, and it cracked, through the stress riser that is the bashplate tab on the downtube.

Maybe onza should produce the Ice 3 :P Same colour, same geo, but no bashmounts!

I had a ice 2, bashed it on rails etc, dented the frame, ran a bash plate, bent that, and it didnt snap? :S

sure it was 'minimal impact'? i cant see why mine was ok and yours wasnt?

some people like bash plates so you can land flat on an object, rings rock too much, so i suppose the options open to more people ;)

i cut my bash mount off my T-pro to save weight (the 1 under the BB) and it saved about 400g :lol: got it down to 8.3kg

BTW: I dont mean to offend anyone im just saying what i think (Y)

and there customer service is spot on,

my first bike was a high spec 2005 T-mag with magura louise, Smart guy forks, tensile cranks and FW, tensile brake mounts, Onza carbon bars and T-master stem for like £500, and if i ever need anything, they sort it there and then, even stayed open past closing time to bleed my brake for me when i bought braided hose's and there cheaper on a lot of stuff then tartybikes (no offence Adam lol)

• Like 1

I had a ice 2, bashed it on rails etc, dented the frame, ran a bash plate, bent that, and it didnt snap? :S

sure it was 'minimal impact'? i cant see why mine was ok and yours wasnt.

Pretty sure. Only ever landed to bashring really if shizz went wrong. Only minor scrapes on the downtube. Just cracked around the bash mounts. Didnt sna, I stopped riding it.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Onza got me started in trials, I saw a few videos on YouTube and then saw an Onza trials display in earls court bike show in 2008 I think, bought an Onza rip brand new for £360, thanks for getting me started in the world of trials Onza! They also pointed me towards this forum when I was at the display. They help MASSIVELY in the trials community of England when it comes to new riders and encouraging more to do the sport. Sure you can bad-mouth their parts but nothing is perfect in trials after a certain amount of abuse, but I think Onza have done a GREAT job!

• Like 1

the old onza i remember from years back were terrible cheap and nasty. Though as stated the pro series frames now arnt that bad geo wise but the still flex on the brake mounts badley and do snapp

the old onza i remember from years back were terrible cheap and nasty. Though as stated the pro series frames now arnt that bad geo wise but the still flex on the brake mounts badley and do snapp

I notice ALOT of flex where my rear maggie is situated. When i pull the brake i can see my frame bend outwards :S.

Its great to see that there are still riders that love Onza! Like i said, i don't have a problem with them i just wondered why people were bitching all the time :D