Best Of The Internet

ZeroMatt

Goooddd I hate these adverts...

For a start ending on "Shame on you" is going to make an awful lot of people think "f**k off, I've never crashed and I take great care not to kill people", including me. They can f**k right off insinuating that I'm a murderer. I'm gonna go out and do some speeding right now, just to piss them off.

For another thing, that video just came out, so 1 classroom of children died in the last 14 years, which I am amazed at. How the f**k is that number so low? Clearly everyone is already doing the right thing! If you counted the number of times that a vehicle drove past a child in that 14 year period and didn't hit them (let alone kill them), then it's clearly show that a teeny, teeny, tiny fraction of those events ended in kiddy death. Obviously children dying is a terrible thing, but clearly we've very, very nearly mastered not killing children. Now if we (as a species) could all stop murdering cyclists (122 in 2012, 1 year alone), that would a much better focus of our time.

Been a while since I had a proper rant on here, feels good.

• Like 7

Goooddd I hate these adverts...

Imbeciles doing traffic education campaigns should focus on the bigger and easier to fight health problems of traffic:

http://www.transportenvironment.org/press/50000-heart-deaths-year-caused-traffic-noise

This conservative estimate in the link above doubles the number of deaths by mechanical accidents, and that is just

heart disease. And other studies come to the conclusion that it is not just old people who die by this effect. In any case,

traffic noise makes life a lot worse than it could be.

With the efforts on automotive "sound design", even new family cars are made to sound "sonorous" and "impressive",

for example the target for diesel cars is to sound like an attacking bigger animal, to which we can't get used to in our

subconscious reactions.

In any case, frequencies transmitting the most power in car noise have gone down, which means you can't insulate

your house/sleeping room against that kind of noise, due to the mechanics of sound propagation in continuous media.

To see the real effect of this, just compare an everyday stock 90s petrol car like a small Volkswagen Golf and a new

stock diesel family car going up an inclined small inner historic city road - the old one is very silent, the new diesel

makes bass noise like in a club, in the streets and in the houses.

While lower frequencies mostly don't signal an immediate danger to our subconscious and therefore more bearable,

they are genetically imprinted to still represent a danger and therefore increase anxiety/excitation levels during night

and day.