The Car Thread

MadManMike

I have had the luckiest day ever.

Got £800's worth of wheels for £275. And 5 brand spanking new 245/45/17 tires.

I am now owed 4 hours of my life thanks to this one lip...

531689_10151269051595130_1613039699_n.jpg

When you mentioned how much you'd bid I was severely tempted to bid just that little lower to make you sting... :P

Looking good though man, nice one. :)

Are the m3s quite costly to maintain? As a general rule of thumb of course, just like common things to go wrong and stuff

It's a performance car so you can be sure it's been abused in the past. That's where all the extra costs will stem from. Suspension parts, bushes etc. aren't any more expensive than a standard 3 series and as long as you don't buy every part from a local BMW dealer, you'll be fine. There's plenty of replacement parts from Lemforder or Bilstein which are just as good as original equipment. The only costly maintenance is disc rotors, if you want to use the car at the track you need to buy original - they're around 140 quid each. Engine wise it all depends on how it's been maintained. The 3.2 engine suffers from VANOS rattle (variable valve timing module), this makes it sound like a diesel but usually doesn't affect performance. Valve timing solenoids sometimes pack up, other than that you may have some sensor issues - lambda, CPS, MAF etc. 6 speed Getrag gearboxes are a bit weaker than the 5 speed ZF's in the 3.0 model. You can avoid most of these issues and future expenses by buying a well maintained car.

2 hours :P not 4, and they're 225's, not 245's, but we'll let you off because we know how excited you get when you have new toys :)

Wheels look lovely dude. can't wait to see them on the car!

No Bob, the rears are 245 and the fronts are 225. And it literally was 4 hours, I picked them up at 6 and only packed up 5 mins ago.

They will be on the car ASAP, but I am not rushing the refurb. I will take them to Lou's dads on Thursday and use the wire brush machine to destroy the studs so I can spray them :)

Not £800 worth of wheels but still nice. I sold my fully refurbed (by me) RC041s with near new tyres for £120 a couple of months ago, just because they were taking up space. Got my M3 wheels on with brand new Falken 452's though (cost me £100 for wheels and tyres) so all is good.

That's mental James, I can't find a set of staggered wheels in any condition for less than £400 delivered regardless of condition and most of which needing tires. Am I looking in the wrong places? The only staggered set of 5 I can find with new tires that are straight and not requiring major work are £799+70 delivery.

Did you polish or paint yours? I am confused what to do go seal the lip.

Bob, trust me it has taken me four hours. I spent an hour or so cleaning when before I even rang you. Shush.

Mine weren't staggered so no biggy (set of 4 RC041s) I've never looked into the rareness of the RC042s, though I gather there's not many about.

I got the centres shot blasted and sprayed metallic gunmetal and sanded and sanded and sanded and polished the lips. Didn't use any sealant anywhere nd they did well for the 10 months of shitty weather they were on the car for. I'm curious, did you split them using the 'smack it with a big chunk of wood' method?

Are those BBS's really worth 800 quid? Should start a business exporting them to the UK if they are.

If they were worth £800 they'd have sold for £800 ;) This is a Jardo valuation we're dealing with here!

• Like 1

Shut up Jason, you are talking about something you know very little about and being slanderous. "Jardo prices" are always spot on, one thing I am never wrong on is the price of things. Don't make me out to be a muppet when you have nothing to base it on.

Go and find me a single BBS RC042 and factor in the price of a brand new 245/45/17 branded tire for less than £250.

I have three RC042's in 8.5J, one needs a new lip so is worth roughly £150.

Now go and find me a BBS RC041 7.5J and factor in a 225/45/17 tire for less than £200.

I have two RC041's with brand new tires.

These wheels are worth a modest fortune. They aren't the standard "style 5" BBS that came on most, they are a very expensive factory order. A set of nonstaggered RC041's with scrap/no tires needing a refurb should sell for £350+ on ebay.

Edited by Pashley26

"Jardo prices" are always spot on, one thing I am never wrong on is the price of things. Don't make me out to be a muppet when you have nothing to base it on.

A good 328i E36 is a £3000 car now, a good 325i is a £2000 car

:)