The Car Thread

MadManMike

The full circuit is just a bit wank, basically. All it adds is two straights and two hairpins (boring to drive), thins out the concentration of cars, costs more to license (the organisers have to pay a permit fee to the MSA), you can't see it from any of the spectator points, you'd need more marshals, and we also use it to grid up while the previous race is going on to save time. Good for a track day to ease queuing issues though.

Same thing at Anglesey - there's the coastal and international layouts. The international just adds two straights and a hairpin, boring :)

The tyres will cut through a light shower if there's some residual heat, you can go very nearly as quickly when it's raining lightly like that - however, according to Mr Datalogger, I went in at the same pace as totally dry (my mistake) :lol:

• Like 1

Are any of the holes in the pulley tapped? If so you could use a plate puller to get it off. The camshaft pulley on the supermoto is like this.

Edit: it looks like the toothed pulley it's held onto the pump shaft by the centre bolt and the vee held on by the circle of socket heads threaded into the toothed pulley. Should be able to fashion a plate puller and get it off that way.

Edited by forteh

What MPG are you guys realistically getting from your Cupra T's? I am stuck between buying a "sensible" ~2006 Astra 1.6 or going for a Cupra and having more fun (?)

I do 44 miles a day so don't want something that drinks too much...

Dave

Remember the burning smell post-cam belt change? My alternator belt snapped into a mangled mess (luckily sitting on a ledge in the engine bay). Good news is the alternator pulley Is still smoother than the 'ultra smooth' Chris king bearings from when I had my bike. Weird analogy but it's all I could think of :P

Oh, also lucky I have a brand new belt waiting to go on :)

Edit*

As the mechanics yard is literally 30seconds from my house on foot we've been using him for the last 20years so he normally let's us know if anythings on its way out, do you think somehow he cause the belt to rub by accident? He'd check little things like that as he's working on that part of the car anyway so the belt was obviously in good nick prior to this.

Edited by Azarathal

What MPG are you guys realistically getting from your Cupra T's? I am stuck between buying a "sensible" ~2006 Astra 1.6 or going for a Cupra and having more fun (?)

I do 44 miles a day so don't want something that drinks too much...

Dave

I have the 07 2.0 TFSI and on average I will get around 28MPG. Max I have had it is 34 on a trip to London, so probably won't be much better from the older model. I don't really care though :)

Any recomendations regarding sourcing a windscreen? Think I'll just use autoglass but not sure if theres any other decent/cheap firms that do a good job.

Shop around local companies, they'll do as good a job for half the money :)

• Like 1

That's what I wondered, although whats stopping me still having the bolt in there just not fully done up?

Is this sort of thing more suitable?

538687415_tp.jpg

if you've got clearance behind for it? I've not used one personally but seen one used with a slide hammer to good effect.

Four holes in a plate bolted on and the slide would work just as well.

(fyi, Im not a slide hammer salesman :) )

*just noticed the kit comes with claws, they'll work

Edited by *gentlydoesit

I have the 07 2.0 TFSI and on average I will get around 28MPG. Max I have had it is 34 on a trip to London, so probably won't be much better from the older model. I don't really care though :)

1.8t's are HUGELY higher than that.

An easy 35mpg average, and 45+ on long journeys.

I used to get those figures on my stage 2+ piece of shit.

Better than my MX-5 :lol:

Really? Mine always used to manage 30ish, dropping to high 20's if thrashed.

My Scirocco (with a 1.8t engine) manages 40ish mpg at 70 on the motorway and 45ish at 60. My old commute on open a-roads returned ~37 average while my current steep back-road commute manages ~31 average. Weighing 400+kg less than a Cupra I'd expect worse on the hilly stuff, but probably a little better on the motorway thanks to the longer gearing with big wheels.

I really must get a diesel box for the Scirocco, it should help the economy on the motorway a fair bit.

So me and Mr Dan O'Shea fitted air ride to my Polo! I need to get custom top mountings made but they're £100 for just the plate and bearing, then I've got to get the PCD of the 13mm bolts drill and tapped by an engineering company.

Heres a picture anyway!

post-23842-0-90182300-1395860427_thumb.j

These are the solid mounts I've found, how hard would it be to ask a engineer firm to make some of these?

http://www.compbrake.com/suspension/top-mounts/plain-fixed-reversed-top-mounts-pair.html

Edited by Sam T
  • Like 2

So nobody has a clutch in stock for my car, Sachs won't be making anymore for 5 weeks :( Thankfully a club member has sorted me with a 4k old clutch (£170 new) that he removed due to supercharging his engine and fitting an uprated one, and a brand new spigot bearing (£55) for £35 all in to help me out. I just need to source a clutch release bearing which is about £30...so actually a blessing in disguise I guess as I really couldn't afford all the parts I needed this month .

Also had some great friends offer help to get the engine out and back in again, shows how good the car community can be! :)

• Like 3