The Car Thread

MadManMike

Today was a hectic yet interesting day.

So Jake decided last week that he'd like to buy my car from me if I ever decided to sell it.

As tempted as I was I was pretty certain i'd be keeping it for a while yet. But I kept getting that inner itch to go for a Clio 182 after wanting one for so long, less than a week later we decided today a deal was getting done.

I drove down all the way to High Wycombe - I spent FAR too long pronouncing it High Why-comb rather than wick-um :ermm: . A little embarrassing haha

I picked Jake up from the station, he'd lost his bloody wallet though haha (hope you get it back mate) and the transaction was done, he now owns my car which is crazy weird!! Take good care of her mate, you know how much time and effort i've put into her :P

Went to get the Clio, it was listed on Autotrader as being "immaculate must be seen" for £1850 with 80k miles, belts done, new water pump and injectors. I do know however that some peoples definition of immaculate is totally diferent to others but it really really is. Apart from the wheels needing a refurb.

No Tax however and he said he would stick an MOT on it today for me. Came to get it today and he text me saying really sorry but the car won't be done from the garage until 3PM which was no good as it takes 3.5 hours to get home on a good day from there and I needed to be in York for 7pm sharp after going home, showering etc. He said it only needs a rear number plate light bulb to pass the mot but thats when it was booked in for. So he knocked £100 off without the MOT.

Im getting it MOT'd tomorrow for £35 so thats some saving. Along with £100 he already knocked off for me. So managed to get a fair bargain!

So happy with it.

14465485851_80b82b5472_b.jpg

14488997893_49b2c4dcb5_b.jpg

Took it ridiculously steady at 55mph at one point and averaged this haha. Absolutely nothing on the biza though for economy (to be expected, it's a 2.0 16v variable cam haha).

14468850005_5a1ef3a24d_b.jpg

Also came home tonight from a meal, turned on the lights to be nicely surprised that it's also got xenons, not sure if they all came with them but can't believe it!

14488999703_9889656396_b.jpg

Edited by dann2707
  • Like 1

Nice writeup Dan. I've not slept yet, been driving on and off since 2pm yesterday not tired though.

I was amazed at getting 71mpg on the motorway home even with lots of rush hour traffic. I was even more amazed how much the turbo kicked in, genuinely scared me at times that it was at 80mph before I realized it and that was the caddys top speed.

Really want to keep it running the way it is now, I know this probably sounds slow to some of you but I genuinely couldn't believe it wheelspun in 2nd/3rd as soon as it hit the turbo.

Really hope you get on alright with the Clio, looked so tidy when i saw it. Couldn't pick any faults!

• Like 1

Its not a 30 sign!

There is an arrow on the road telling you to stay in the left lane, the white lines are warning of an approaching hazard, there is a T junction sign, and there are white signs showing names and direction arrows behind it. Added to that, the junction sign has a yellow background, which means it is an accident blackspot.

...pull the other one! Stupid douche

So you drove for 3 1/2 hours with no tax or mot? Are you even insured whilst doing that???

Nice car though :P

Yeah, was booked in for an MOT though at my garage provisionally. All insured haha i'm not that bad.

Those clios have aged well, they look really fun too. What did you pay for it?

£1650 in the end. It's currently at the mot garage now. Fixed the rear number plate light holder, wasn't the bulb, the connection just needed cleaning up.

Mot is done! Had play in the wheel bearing and just simply tightened the hub nut and the plays gone. Easy haha

I am genuinely happy that someone found the salvation again in petrol, after years in diesel

Good luck with your car, it is a beauty!

How old are you, and how does the insurance companies like the idea?

• Like 1

I am genuinely happy that someone found the salvation again in petrol, after years in diesel

Good luck with your car, it is a beauty!

How old are you, and how does the insurance companies like the idea?

Thanks mate! I'm still a big lover of diesel though just for how easy they are to drive haha

I'm 22 and it costs me £600 ish for the year which I think is fairly decent! Going to go down soon too :)

Done quite a bit to it today! Had the inlet off and cleaned it out along with a few of the sensors as the emissions were fairly high. Cleaned the throttle body too as apparently they can stick on these causing issues. Out to go for a run in it in a sec.

Also wired in my dashcam too.

So much going on in this thread since I was last here. And another 1*2 owner, I approve.

Cliosport is alright Jardo, if you sift through the shit-talking it's still a great resource, no different to any forum.

£600 for the year is pretty good, Dann. When I bought mine I was 22 with no driving history and obviously no 'no-claims' discount, cost me £1200, the same as I payed for my Clio... Dropped to £700 the next year and now I'm at £530 with all mods declared on an agreed value policy, all mods insured like for like.

By the looks of it your Clio is a standard 182, without either cup pack. That basically means no splitter or spoiler, no dark wheels or cup suspension. Seems like a reasonable price for what you got. Do you have a receipt for the cam belt change, was it just the cam belt or full cam belt kit? Does it also mention a dephaser change? Good that it's had the belts done £500 job on an aircon model, and not something you want done by anyone but a specialst...

In other news, I followed Prawn's advice;

Qtfl9eU.jpg

Bloody love it. Although, I can't stop driving like a hooligan and it has some teething issues. Airbag lights are on because the resistors haven't come yet. Also think despite being advertised as the right boss, it's not turning the squib properly, so it's throwing up the ABS warning light. Not sure what to do about that though, can't find a definitive answer online.

• Like 1

Yep it's without either cup pack which I didn't even know existed until the other day haha. Apparently it's easier to upgrade the suspension if you don't have the suspension cup pack or something?

I think it was just the cambelt that was done, along with the water pump and injectors at the same time. But I think i'm going to get it done as soon as I get funds just to be on the safe side. I've seen people delete the aircons, is this something to do for power or reliability of the engine?

I also stumbled across your thread on CS the other day, enjoyed the read :)

Yeah, there's a 'Which model?' guide on CS which is very helpful for differentiating the differences. Long and the short, the 'Cup' 182, not to be confused with the 'Cup packed' 182, had 60mm spacing on the bolts for the front strut assembly, compared to the 54mm on the 'non cup', 'cup packed' and 172 struts. Not every aftermarket manufacturer makes 60mm spacing units on their dampers/coilovers, so it can be trickier to find them on the Cup. This thread has more info.

Cup spoilers are much better than the standard spoiler, though that's my opinion. They fetch a premium, normally around £120, but you'd have no trouble picking one up on Arctic Blue and they make the back look a lot more aggressive. You can also pick up a Skoda splitter for a tenner which, again IMO, changes the look of the front bumper. It's also cheaper than the £120 Renault will charge you for thiers, and you won't be gutted when you ram it into a curb.

So with the cam/aux belt on these it's standard procedure to also replace all the pulleys and tensioners as well, because they tend to fail as much as the belts and it's the same result in the end. If that's not happened, then definitely get the belts done again for peace of mind. The dephaser is the bit which controls the VVT, it's a pain in the arse if it goes so if you're getting the belts done, get that done at the same time for peace of mind. Biggest killer of dephasers is low or dirty oil causing wear, if it goes your car will sound like a diesel and somewhat down on power. Water pump should be good for the life of the car now.

Deleting air-con can be for many reasons, but it's almost always performance related. It's quite reliable as air-con on old french cars goes and no affect on the longevity of the engine as far as I'm aware. The system in itself weighs 20 odd kg, which is a fair bit of weight and obviously driving the compressor leaches some power.

• Like 1

Wow, thats awesome and very informative mate. Really do appreciate that!! Where are you from by the way?

Just had a look at the cup spoilers, they look bloody gorgeous.

Today I started to crack on with some jobs and seeing what I have to play with :D She's in excellent condition bar a few things as shown later below but here is her now.
14474189644_bc14a79135_b.jpg
14475369595_bcab568d28_b.jpg
Please excuse the mess in the background, having our windows done haha
14288756199_0c5c89aa98_b.jpg
14288974897_825c9344c3_b.jpg
14474126902_e2488bfa10_b.jpg
That's not a scuff on the rear bumper, scared myself for a second when looking at this pic haha
14288981607_1707eb0ba3_b.jpg
Now the bad parts, the headlights desperately need restoring
14474053882_0d92f740d7_b.jpg
There is a scuff here.
14288741919_8b9c1500e6_b.jpg
And the wheels need a refurb so badly.
14495525543_e7bc68d117_b.jpg
Anyway, I removed the throttle body and gave it a clean up as it was ever so slightly carboned up.
14475403195_f031e788c7_b.jpg
14288964047_264840a4b1_b.jpg
The emissions were high on the MOT, apparently its running rich at around 2000rpm but okay at idle?
so I wanted to have a look at some of the sensors to see if they were dirty and also to inspect the spark plugs to see their condition so started removing everything to get to it.
14475417905_c1433e9ff1_b.jpg
Spark plugs looked fairly new, along with the air filter.
Started to wire in my dash cam :D.
14288807829_be3dd19779_b.jpg
I took a feed from the cigarette socket as it comes on with ignition.
14288863788_fba65b4698_b.jpg
Previous owner liked chocolate apparently.
14452356796_1f1a4fbc40_b.jpg
I then fed the wire up along the B pillar
14472084891_908cf480dc_b.jpg
All in!
14475341765_bda28a64c0_b.jpg
Need to sort the interior out and just ordered £40's worth of car detailing stuff including some more clay, iron and tar remover, wash and some pads and applicators so should be cleaning her up sometime next week inbetween graduate job interviews!!

Ignore what I said about the cup spoiler, get this V6/Trophy spoiler, they are ridiculously cool.

clio%20v6%2033.JPG

Wow, thats awesome and very informative mate. Really do appreciate that!! Where are you from by the way?

Reading, give or take.

Edited by Haz

I checked two of the plugs today briefly and they seemed perfect. It goes well and doesn't seem like it's firing on three cylinders so I don't think it's an ignition problem.

I want to check out the lambda tomorrow but not sure if I can with a simple multimeter.

But did you check the gaps? If you have a weak spark it's going to be burning the charge inefficiently, I don't know if the ECU adjusts the fuel ratio based purely on incoming air flow or whether it takes into account the properties of the exhaust gas. If the cat is blocked/knackered then that would kill your emmissions unless there is a sensor downstream of the cat as well; either way changing/checking the lambda would be first port of call for me :)

• Like 1

182 looks good Dan. I hope Jake gets on well with the Ibiza too :)

I've made a tarty style annotated video of near fails from my trackday on Monday, for those who can't be arsed to watch 15 minutes of the same thing :lol:

I am watching this without sound, and that looks fast