The Car Thread

MadManMike

You bastards!

i was eating a yoghurt watching that 'Flat out' video, just taking a mouthfull at the '200mph caterham in the dark' line.

Yoghurt everywhere :lol:

that video pretty much sums up pre event Jardo, but when it comes to it, on the day, he's usually very sensible :) which is surprising :lol:

ADI at Combe on Saturday, really good day. Took Kennard, Manning, Jonny J, Robin, and a load of non TF people out on track. Much fun was had :)

Fitted wets:

AACAA0DE-BBCA-498A-940A-28F0109D5BCE_zps

And the sun came out :lol:

Fitted slicks, lapped most of the afternoon, rained a bit at one point but didn't stay thankfully. Slicks in the wet were interesting. Bizarrely, the grip levels stayed good, but in your head you KNOW it's only a matter of time ebfore it gets wetter, so you tend to back off a little anyway, just incase it's rained more since the last time around!

Car went very well all day. Very happy with it :)

• Like 2

Found a Ford breaker nearby who are really cheap, woop! This means I can go measure up the fuel rails+injectors and get the best suited one for my engine and also get an EDIS setup so I can manage the spark too. I'm hoping to aquire all of the parts I need by January, then I can get fitting it all whilst I have the use of another car for 6 weeks. If all fails i'll whack the old setup back on as I'll make it plug and play :)

Not updated on here for ages! I do loooooads of stuff to my car, but I've never been much of a "build thread" kinda person...love reading them, but suck at actually making them!

Anyway, in my quest for ultimate scene-fag points, I have decided to do an engine bay clean up, and have removed as much as I can, and have hidden wires etc wherever possible. This was partly due to a massively overcrowded engine bay, which I have always hated and wanted to do something about, and the fact my new turbo setup is the mirror image of the original, so lots of stuff needed to be moved.

I went from this (well...almost, I didn't have a totally up to date picture, but its basically the same apart from this picture is missing a catch can and heatsheild for the air filter):

post-482-0-32813000-1413205179_thumb.jpg

Part way through, and I had this massive mountain of wires (this is just the passenger side, there was probably another 30-40 wires on the driver side)!:

post-482-0-66917100-1413205295_thumb.jpg

I am now probably 70% of the way through, and am left with this so far (I still need to cut off all the old brackets to neaten it up):

post-482-0-70312700-1413205525_thumb.jpg

Wiring is cut/extended where needs be, and is run through the top chassis rails, and comes out either side by the headlights, out of view (this was the "easy" side, the passenger side probably has 5-6 times as many wires!:

post-482-0-82715000-1413205764_thumb.jpg

Its taking forever, but I am finally now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully its worth it in the end! Washer fluid bottle has been relocated to the boot next to the mater/meth injection tank (reduced in size to a 1L instead of 3.5). Coolant expansion bottle has been removed in favour of a typical Jap style expansion cap. Power steering fluid reservoir will now live under the winsdcreen scuttle on the passenger side.

I don't really have free time, lol! Only just finished a house re-wire which I did for 3 hours a night...took nearly a month of working every day after work...that meant leaving the house at 6:45 in the morning, and not getting home until 8:30 - to say I'm tired is an understatement!

In all honesty, I never really meant to get quite as in depth as this, haha. It's kinda spiraled a bit out of control, but it's meant I've got rid of LOADS of unnecessary wires due to removing the A/C, so its no bad thing I guess.

Got a TFSI turbo the same as Prawn, but have got the added bonus of a ported and polished head, uprated exhaust valves, uprated exhaust springs, and a bigger charge pipe (and different air intake pipe, which is much shorter). Hoping to get to as close to 400bhp as possible, and steal Prawn's glory :P

• Like 1