The Car Thread

MadManMike

Wife's just crashed her car into a telegraph pole, she's ok but the car's a mess. She limped it home so as to stop me from worrying. The problem is that the insurance company is closed (Admiral) and she's not going to have any proof tomorrow that it happened when it did and that she wasn't drinking (she wasn't). Any advice I can give her to help her sleep tonight?

She's a worrier, so she's going to need some past experience preferably - tell me she hasn't "left the scene", being as she was a woman on her own in the middle of nowhere in the dark. Maybe actually it's me worrying.

Wife's just crashed her car into a telegraph pole, she's ok but the car's a mess. She limped it home so as to stop me from worrying. The problem is that the insurance company is closed (Admiral) and she's not going to have any proof tomorrow that it happened when it did and that she wasn't drinking (she wasn't). Any advice I can give her to help her sleep tonight?

She's a worrier, so she's going to need some past experience preferably - tell me she hasn't "left the scene", being as she was a woman on her own in the middle of nowhere in the dark. Maybe actually it's me worrying.

cant she go to the old bill? theyll do a crash statement and breathlise her?

What's the value of the car? Presumably high enough that it warrants going through insurance if you're asking those questions.

Glad to hear she's ok, but at the risk of sounding like a douche, how's everything else? (telegraph pole etc) If there's no real damage to other property and it's not going to be a huge figure to repair or replace I'd be inclined to keep it away from insurance companies as best possible. Were there any witnesses etc?

If she's in a fit state, get her to write down/record her explaining exactly what happened while the details are fresh in her mind. It'll be useful later if you do need to stay "official" with proceedings.

Aye, but that's not high up my list of suggestions at the moment - especially if she can wait until the morning being as there was no one else involved.

I've been back to the site and there is no damage to anything else either. She's fully comp and that's what this pays for right?

What's the value of the car? Presumably high enough that it warrants going through insurance if you're asking those questions.

Glad to hear she's ok, but at the risk of sounding like a douche, how's everything else? (telegraph pole etc) If there's no real damage to other property and it's not going to be a huge figure to repair or replace I'd be inclined to keep it away from insurance companies as best possible. Were there any witnesses etc?

If she's in a fit state, get her to write down/record her explaining exactly what happened while the details are fresh in her mind. It'll be useful later if you do need to stay "official" with proceedings.

Cheers Luke, didn't see your response as I was writing. I'll get her to write it down now. It's about a £6k car in her head, and we don't have that at the moment. It's probably not a write-off, but it's definitely messed up. I'll grab a pic in a mo.

Indeed, though obviously premiums will be going up for the next XX years as a result so just a case of working out if it's worth it.

If you wanted to go fully legit I'd take photos of everything and get details down now, call 101 and all that jazz. It's just a case of finding the point between that and sorting it out yourselves that best suits I suppose.

From here: http://www.lawdonut.co.uk/law/personal-law/personal-injury/road-traffic-accidents

Backed up here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/consumer_driving_and_parking_e/consumer_driving_e/traffic_accidents.htm#h_what_must_a_driver_involved_in_a_traffic_accident_do

• You are legally required to stop after a road traffic accident, even if no other vehicle was involved, if:
    • anyone (other than you) is injured
    • another vehicle or any other property is damaged
    • an animal on the road or in another car is injured (but not an animal in your own vehicle)
    • items such as a street lamp, bollard, road sign or any other normal street ‘furniture’ are damagedYou should do what you can to ensure that anyone who has been injured gets medical treatment, and that the accident site is made safe (eg warning other motorists, making sure that people are moved away - if their medical condition allows - from any hazardous substances such as leaking fuel). If necessary, dial 999.

None of those conditions are met so I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine, just a case of working out the financial side of it if only her car is affected :)

Thanks all, you've definitely helped put our minds at rest. We're going with the process of not calling the cops just yet, ultimately there was no crime committed and I'd rather not shake Hayley up more than she already is by calling them and making it a whole lot more serious that it might be.

I've finally managed to get a moment to get some pics, so here they are. As everyone knows, I'm no expert, but now that I see them on the computer I feel like it's less of a write-off than I thought? I don't know, I'll leave it to you lot and the people in charge of the cheque books.

post-497-0-60071300-1423606347_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-89332400-1423606391_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-58581600-1423606427_thumb.jpg

Either way, she feels calm enough to go to bed, so I'm not going to argue and I'm going to try not to look in here until the morning as well. Thanks for all your thoughts guys :)

(also well aware that to most it'll look like a nothing crash, but it's her first and it worried me not being able to see it to begin with :( )

• Like 3

We've repaired far worse, those Mini's are pretty well built.

Id say providing everything can be pulled back near as it was with regards to bumper/panel mounting points you'd get away with fitting a new front quarter
(Bonnet/wing/bumper/headlight) which you could source from a breaker pretty easily. Fit a new lower arm and track rod/track rod end and have it tracked and you may be golden.

*Providing suspension components are damaged, of course.

Edited by SamKidney

Should be reet JD. Depends on the standard of reapir and amount of graft that you want to put in really - I fixed similar damage to my car for £70 but the car still looks like its been in a crash! (one of many!)

Claiming will depend on no claims accrued, age, etc. Do some dummy quotes on a fake email using a fake name as see how it would affect her premiums before you make a decision. :)

Glad shes all OK!

Cheers guys :)

Annoyingly she's just quit her job so every penny counts - I'm going to price up the bits to see whether it might be worth stretching to, but we're trying to spend as little as possible :( conundrum because clearly going the insurance route is a bad choice long term, but it could be the only choice short term.

Anyway, thanks for being helpful! Now just to mend this dented confidence of hers too - can you get that on eBay too?

Turns out she's decided to claim regardless of whether I think it's the right idea or not. They collect it tomorrow and have said it's almost certainly a write off just due to age and mileage. It'll be a shame if that's the case, but at least this way I don't have to go through the process of thinking I can do it myself and then failing miserably (Y)

• Like 2

Ironic postin this after Jason's last few posts...

But what the f**k has happened to insurance?!

Trying to insure this Mk2 is potentially one of the most impossible things I've done for ages. Brentacre want almost double to insure a Mk2 Golf with a VR6 in it that i'll do no more than 4000 miles a year in social circumstances only, will be kept in a garage during the day than they did for my S3 with all mods declared.

It's not like I haven't had my license 7 years, have 7 years no claims, and a company car with personal use AND another car with 5 years no claims on it.

£900?!

AND they will only insure me if I have a cat 2 alarm fitted.

Then when I said "thats insane!" They said "well you are young Mr Mardell, and the Golf GTI is a fast car."

f**king wank holes.

Edited by Pashley26

Brentacre have never come up with a sensible price, but they are a friendly bunch to talk to :P

Go to Classic line, they're a broker for various classic insurers, been paying £200-300 for pretty much anything (over 15 years old) with any engine for years now! Then try Adrian Flux classic policy, sometimes they'll beat it :)

Car noob back in here for help/advice please boys.

I was sat at a set of lights this morning and the parking brake fault light came on. I tried to pull away but the parking brake wouldn’t release. It’s one of the push button types. I hadn’t pressed the button on, it just locked up (felt like just on the one side) So I then pressed the button and tried to pull away like normal hoping that would clear things. It Didn’t. Restarted the car etc. Still wouldn’t release.

Car is a VW Passat.

Brentacre want almost double to insure a Mk2 Golf with a VR6 in it ... than they did for my S3 with all mods declared.

?!

So what you're saying is that if the VR6 doesn't work out, you have an increased budget for something 1.8t shaped?

I was sat at a set of lights this morning and the parking brake fault light came on. I tried to pull away but the parking brake wouldn’t release. It’s one of the push button types. I hadn’t pressed the button on, it just locked up (felt like just on the one side) So I then pressed the button and tried to pull away like normal hoping that would clear things. It Didn’t. Restarted the car etc. Still wouldn’t release.

Are you still there? :P

Unfortunately I can't really help with the brake issue. Apologies. Bit of forum reading up may help, or if you have a friend with VCDS/a fault reader it may be worth a scan to see if it's retained a code.

• Like 2

http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1297451&nmt=07+VW+Passat+stuck+parking+brake

Sounds like it could be a faulty switch, a buggered caliper or a sticky motor...

Something to try... "Rare, great advice from the stealer to unstick it, was to stand very hard on the footbrake, with engine running (I guess for additional servo assist) and try to disengage handbrake. It worked !"